You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Union SG (H) - EL Group E, Thu 5th Oct 2023 (8:00pm)

Trumo

Work-rate. Incisiveness. Nous.

I don't ask for much.

This is how it's gonna be. Build from the ground up.

"Matchday 2" as UEFA so cringingly call it. Anfield under the lights. A chance to give players some minutes and cement our top spot in the group. The last game we played at Anfield in this competition was the semi final against Villarreal in 2016. I don't expect an energised crowd or anything resembling our current (limited) capacity, but I hope for a little more energy from the crowd than was the case against Leicester last week. Certainly more energy than I'm putting into this OP!

Much like with LASK a couple of weeks ago, I know nothing of Union Saint-Gilloise other than they are a Belgian club based on the outskirts of Brussels, and that Macca's brother Kevin plays for them. Will they leave him Home Alone so he can order pizzas and set booby traps for a couple of hapless burglars? I've no wish to belittle any of the other teams in the Europa League, but the gulf between it and the Champions League is still significant. No idea if Union SG are a physical side or whether they like to play football. Somehow I don't think they will set themselves up to be open and expansive.

For us, I expect a similar starting line-up to the one put out against LASK. Baj has been absent from the last couple of games, so might remain unavailable. Cody picked up a knee injury at Spurs and is surely a doubt. Thiago is still not ready, and Trent is being eased back into the fray. Given that I very much doubt Curtis will have any ban overturned for his red card at Spurs, I would think Jurgen will want to keep him involved outside of league games. Same with Diogo who will have to miss a league game. Concentration, attitude and application must be spot on. 3 points and move on. Get it done.

• Upvote 5

Gakpo is a real blow - reduces our options to rotate with Jota missing a game too.

We'll have literally just the 3 senior forwards for next league game.

Jota therefore has to start this with Doak and one other - probably Nunez - although there was talk he was nursing a problem on saturday.

Kelleher

Gomez

Quansah

Matip

Tsimikas

Jones

Endo

Gravenberch

Doak

Nunez

Jota

13 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Zero desire to watch this.

I generally try to ignore that refs even exist in most games, but I can't reconcile what happened yesterday and how much they can fuck things up. Probably won't watch footy for a while.

Non-Premier League refs. There's a reasonable chance this could be allowed to be a football match.

USG are the 136th different team we've played in Europe - because we're fucking great - and we can afford to rotate like we did against LASK and Leicester.  A good win is just what we all need right now.

Just get these beat, Reds.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Zero desire to watch this.

I generally try to ignore that refs even exist in most games, but I can't reconcile what happened yesterday and how much they can fuck things up. Probably won't watch footy for a while.

I think it's a well timed and welcome diversion from the shitshow that's the premier league tbh. Looking forward to it.

• Upvote 1