You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

UEFA Cup 2023-24

AngryOfTuebrook

UEFA are cheeky bastards. After Paris they are preemptively attempting to put the boot into our fans to the delight of other fan bases who have jumped on this. Try picking venues that have a large enough capacity, and start giving most of the tickets to the clubs instead of the 'UEFA Family.' Pricks.

• Upvote 7

49 minutes ago, an tha said:

Uefa Approached Bayern About The Possibility Of Moving The Europa League Final from Dublin to Munich

European football's ruling body's fear of Liverpool caused Nyon to consider other options in the event of Jurgen Klopp's team advancing to the Irish capital

TONY EVANS
12 MAR 2024

Uefa fear Liverpool's presence in the Europa League final in Dublin so much that European football's ruling body started making contingency plans for the showpiece game as early as last May.

Political football has seen internal Uefa correspondence that expressed concerns that Dublin could not cope if Liverpool reach the final. The suggested alternative venue was the Allianz Arena in Munich. 

Political football is a reader-supported publication. To receive new posts and support my work, consider becoming a free or paid subscriber.

The documents say that Uefa “contacted Munich to [potentially] host the game” because of the demand for tickets and fears that the Irish capital would be swamped with supporters.

A number of clubs that would bring large bodies of support to Dublin remain in contention for the May 22 final.

European football’s ruling body’s worst fears would be realised if Rangers, West Ham United, Milan, Marseilles and Roma join Liverpool in the last eight.  

A Rangers-Liverpool final would almost certainly be moved, a source close to the situation said. The Football Association of Ireland (FAI) is confident that the Aviva Stadium and the city could cope. There have been a succession of meetings between the FAI, Uefa and the Garda and the Irish authorities would react badly to any attempt to take such an important match away from the country. 

Liverpool are the main issue. Uefa have long been wary of the club’s large fanbase. The Heysel Stadium disaster, where 39 mainly Italian supporters died at the 1985 European Cup final between the Merseyside club and Juventus, casts a long shadow. The disturbances at the Champions League final against Milan in Athens in 2007, when ticketless fans swarmed into the stadium, reinforced the notion that Liverpool supporters are a problem.  

Events in Paris two years ago at the Champions League final between Liverpool and Real Madrid deepened the suspicion. Uefa were forced to apologise for the dangerous conditions and crushing around the Stade de France after initially blaming ticketless supporters.

The ruling body’s shoddy organisation and the actions of the French police created and exacerbated the problems around the stadium but some in Nyon still find it easier to point the finger at Liverpool than face their own shortcomings.  

“If Liverpool aren’t there [in Dublin], there’s no issue,” the source said. 

Last season had barely ended when Uefa began discussing contingency plans for the final. Today’s admission by Theodore Theodoridis, Uefa’s general secretary, that there are “a couple of pairings that would be extremely challenging in terms of finding ways to accommodate everyone who wanted to be in Dublin,” illustrates the thinking at the ruling body.

Moving the game away from Dublin would damage Uefa’s credibility, though. The main hope in Nyon is that Liverpool get knocked out at the quarter-final stage.

Cunts.

Absolute cunts.  Maybe if they got the ticketing system sorted they wouldn’t have to plan to move the final. 

Oh and as @Anubis says. Give more tickets to genuine fans & not

some twats who’ve never been to a game before in their life. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Absolute cunts.  Maybe if they got the ticketing system sorted they wouldn’t have to plan to move the final. 

Oh and as @Anubis says. Give more tickets to genuine fans & not

some twats who’ve never been to a game before in their life. 

And perhaps they could take it to a venue holding more than 51000 , stupid fucking leaching cunts.

Not sure how strong Atalanta are now compared to the side we faced back in 2020. We destroyed them at their place but failed to get out of first gear back at Anfield. They still have the same coach Gasperini, and their defender Scalvini is very highly rated and has been linked with us previously. Looking at their squad, there are quite a few players that have played in the PL (Lookman, de Roon, Kolasinac, Zappacosta and Scamacca).

It's also hard to know if they have stab-happy fans like a lot of the other Italian clubs, since when the teams last met, we were all under lockdown rules.

37 minutes ago, Trumo said:

Not sure how strong Atalanta are now compared to the side we faced back in 2020. We destroyed them at their place but failed to get out of first gear back at Anfield. They still have the same coach Gasperini, and their defender Scalvini is very highly rated and has been linked with us previously. Looking at their squad, there are quite a few players that have played in the PL (Lookman, de Roon, Kolasinac, Zappacosta and Scamacca).

It's also hard to know if they have stab-happy fans like a lot of the other Italian clubs, since when the teams last met, we were all under lockdown rules.

Rangers supporters were attacked at their hotel in Lisbon by Atalanta ultras in the last round (they were in the city at the same time) so I would hope our lot keep their wits about them in Italy. 

I've said this before but these cunts are 40 years behind us so taking women & children or wearing colours across there would not be advisable. It's unfortunate but it's true.

3 hours ago, an tha said:

The main hope in Nyon is that Liverpool get knocked out at the quarter-final stage.

How can they say this, even privately? Any dubious calls against us now are going to get seen through the prism of UEFA not wanting us in the final.

38 minutes ago, Mook said:

Rangers supporters were attacked at their hotel in Lisbon by Atalanta ultras in the last round (they were in the city at the same time) so I would hope our lot keep their wits about them in Italy. 

I've said this before but these cunts are 40 years behind us so taking women & children or wearing colours across there would not be advisable. It's unfortunate but it's true.

Their fans caused a load of trouble in town when they played Everton a few years back too.

1 hour ago, Mook said:

My old boss was a fairly pc social worker but, when it came to Italians, she always said "why do they always wear fucking puffa jackets". I was a bit nonplussed - so was my wife when I told her - but fuck, my boss was right. Working in central London, if I saw a gaggle of puffa jackets the group was always Italian.

Moral of the story - don't wear club colours, wear puffa jackets when in Italy.

9 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Atalanta isn't a good draw. They are a very intense and physical team, they will make us work very hard. Last time, they got pounded because they went man for man with us defensively which was nuts, but they'll probably have learned from that.

Anybody else but Leverkusen would have been a better draw.

Felt it would be better to avoid an Italian team for now but even though I’m happy with the semi draw part of me wishes we would have one of those waiting for us in the final

Its a very good draw imo. The best team left in the tournament is in the half with the 3 weakest teams left in the tournament.  By no means any game is a gimme as they are all good teams at this stage but the other half of the draw is the stronger and tougher sides.