You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

13 minutes ago, No2 said:

He'll earn in a year what he might have made in a successful career at Celta. Its not hard to understand, plus coach Jaissle is there to sweeten the deal, who doesn't want to play for him?

When you put it into perspective living in Jeddah, banging dead behind the eyes imported sex slaves, living in a guided cage which you rarely leave and where your every whim is indulged and magnified turning you into the utter worst of human detritus, eating second rate sushi in obscenely expensive chintzy shitholes surrounded by fawning sycophants whilst earning the GDP of Zambia would probably do it for me.

Winning the prestigious *checks notes* King Cup would just be the cherry on the top for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 3

I'm sure he would love to claim big titles, but let's be honest, if he breaks a leg at Vigo and loses his level, nobody will give a toss as he drifts down the pyramid. He is presumably thinking he can earn a kings ransom and still be well young enough to pick up his career. 

3 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

When you put it into perspective living on Jeddah, banging dead behind the eyes imported sex slaves, living in a guided cage which you rarely leave and where your every whim is indulged and magnified turning you into the utter worst of human detritus, eating second rate sushi in obscenely expensive chintzy shitholes surrounded by gaining sycophants whilst earning the GDP of Zambia would probably do it for me.

Winning the prestigious *checks notes* King Cup would just be the cherry on the top for me.

I don't for one second think lads like him won't regret the decision to go there but right now they're being sold dreams that probably sound real. 

7 minutes ago, No2 said:

I don't for one second think lads like him won't regret the decision to go there but right now they're being sold dreams that probably sound real. 

Oh, I’d be bang up for it, but I’d insist on the Neymar package…

News of Neymar’s move to Al-Hilal, of the Saudi Pro League, has been the chief bizarro-world transfer story of the week, if only for the details. Neymar has announced that he is, like AJP Taylor before him, “excited to write history”. And no doubt excited to some lesser degree by his £138m salary, the three dedicated supercars (Bentley, Aston Martin, Lamborghini) plus four Mercedes G-Wagons and a luxury chauffeured van to be kept “available at all times”.

Other non-negotiable demands include a house with three saunas, a pool “at least 40 metres long”, seven full-time workers, including a sous chef to work – keep up – with Neymar’s own head chef, plus, in a moment of semi-caricature, a guaranteed supply of açaí juice and Guaraná drinks in his fridge. Oh, and he needs a private plane. Plus all expenses for his 30-strong entourage to be covered by the Saudi state, also known, under what we must call Newcastle Rules, as Al-Hilal FC.‘

Im cool not winning shit as long as the above is met and I get to finger my sister free from legal censure.

• Haha 1

Let’s be honest, it’s a job to most of those able to play at the highest level.

Not much different to Top Class engineers, consultants, CEO’s, whatever.

Arguably better paid per hour than any of them.

We’d like to think that they’d want to play for the shirt, the club, the fans etc., because that’s how we think we’d feel if we had the ability to pull on the Red shirt and get out there.

Occasionally, there’ll be a player who comes across as a “fan in a shirt” but they are few and far between.

In your daily life, and if you have one, your job, would you seriously turn down the money that some of these players are being offered?
I think not.

It’s a business and nothing more to those in charge and those that play it.

You pay your money……..and all that.

• Upvote 1

I think as football obsessives I think we can lose sight of the fact that the personal situation and motivation of every player will differ. 

I was reading yesterday that Marcel Desailly was ready to sign for us until he found out that there were no French-speaking schools in the area for his kids.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I'm sure he would love to claim big titles, but let's be honest, if he breaks a leg at Vigo and loses his level, nobody will give a toss as he drifts down the pyramid. He is presumably thinking he can earn a kings ransom and still be well young enough to pick up his career. 

If I was his advisor I'd be pointing him in the direction of players like Oscar.

I'm not sure how easy it is to resume a career once you've made a move like that, how many players who went to China went on to bigger and better things (comparable to before their move) when coming back?

Yannick Carrasco is maybe one of the few examples having left Atletico for Dalian then returning to Atletico?

1 minute ago, sir roger said:

I think as football obsessives I think we can lose sight of the fact that the personal situation and motivation of every player will differ. 

I was reading yesterday that Marcel Desailly was ready to sign for us until he found out that there were no French-speaking schools in the area for his kids.

sf.jpg

• Haha 6
  • Upvote 1

I've viewed some of the younger ones going there (like Veiga) as a sort of footballing gap year. You go there, live in the sunshine and absolutely rake it in for a couple of years.

Veiga's what, 21? So he could come back to Europe as a 24 year old with a fucktonne of cash in the bank, and he's free to build his career however he sees fit. He could go back to Celta and see out the rest of his career playing for his hometown club on a lower wage as he's basically taken more than his expected career earnings from his three years in Saudi. Or he could get his agent to push for a move to a top club - but de-risk his contract with a lower basic salary because again, he can afford it due to his maxed out earnings in the ME.

Whether European clubs would view him as hungry enough after three years in semi-retirement is another thing - as is whether he'd be prepared to drop wages to open up his options after getting used to the income out there. The aftermath of these first wave contracts will be interesting, if nothing else.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

If I was his advisor I'd be pointing him in the direction of players like Oscar.

I'm not sure how easy it is to resume a career once you've made a move like that, how many players who went to China went on to bigger and better things (comparable to before their move) when coming back?

But he is still set up for life, in my scenario he ends up in a bar telling everybody he could been a contender.

If someone offered me ten times the amount I'm on now to go and do the same thing in Saudi Arabia, any principles would go right out the window and I'd be on the first flight over there.

I've no idea why we judge Footballers so differently. We live in a capitalist World & they can set their family up for generations playing one season over there.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, sir roger said:

But he is still set up for life, in my scenario he ends up in a bar telling everybody he could been a contender.

Not disputing the set up for life part, it's the resuming your career bit that might be more difficult.

Can we vomit? RAWK ladies and gentlemen.

The whining and misery on this site is tedious as fuck, and its the usual doom mongers trying to piss all over anyone's optimism. One poster said he thinks we'll challenge for the title and maybe the cups, and someone tells him to 'keep smoking the weed'. True reds don't speak to fellow fans like that.

This site has some of the most miserable, entitled, impatient cryarses I've read on the internet (and it's a pretty low bar...!). They love nothing more than yelling into their keyboards to rant yet another stream of sarcastic misery, which seems to be peddled on more and more threads with increasing regularity. It's no wonder so many of the decent posters have gone - anything positive is shouted down by the dickheads who live under a permanent raincloud.

Some of us are optimistic and think we have a decent squad. Of course, we'd still like to have more players, spend more, and win more, like fans of any club. But we don't cry into our keyboards when it doesn't happen. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but surely some of the best things about supporting a football club are hope, optimism and enjoyment? I'm all for free speech, but I just can't relate to anyone who just constantly moans and complains all the time, or microanalyses every aspect of the club to find fault. It's joyless, divisive, and toxic, and it certainly isn't the way I was brought up as a fan.

As I said on here in 2020/21 (when our injury crisis wrecked our season) - supporting a football club is like a good marriage. To get the most out if it, you have to fully commit - to have and to hold, in sickness and in health, for richer for poorer, to love and to cherish, till death do us part. Some on here wouldn't even make it down the aisle, as they don't have the stomach for the commitment, challenges, heartaches, disappointments, and roller-coaster ride that's part of being a supporter.

There seems to be an entire generation of fans (plus some old enough to know better...), who don't understand the meaning of true support, or the Liverpool way. Those types of fans seem to be obsessed by money, net spend, or desperate to say 'I told you so', or endlessly picking over the minutiae of previous transfer windows, or finding fault with anything and everything, or criticising signings before they've even kicked a ball, or constantly comparing us to other clubs (with zero context), and ranting on multiple threads like angry teenagers. Then mysteriously disappearing when things are going well, or saying things like 'I'm glad to be proven wrong', as if that somehow makes them less of a dickhead.

I don't relate to any of you that think or post in this way, and nor do I consider you a fellow red, or someone I'd ever want to be in the trenches with. You're part of the growing army of bellends that represent the modern football fan, and a world apart from fans I grew up with in the 80's and 90's and the people I speak to in real life. Its genuinely embarrassing to think some of you are actually Liverpool fans.

I think we'll challenge for the title this season, and can go deep in the cups (maybe win one). I have the same outlook every season, ever since my dad took to me to my first game in 1981. That's not because I'm a superfan, or smoking weed, or delusional (as many decent reds on here have been accused of). It's because personally I choose to follow the club with optimism - always hope for the best, but also prepare for the worst (and dont throw my toys out the pram when there's a setback). We've had far worse periods and squads than this before and still won trophies. We've also seen more (in the last 7 years under Jurgen alone...) than most fans of other clubs will see in their entire lifetimes.

Cheer up. There's far worse things to complain about in the world, and it's meant to be a sport that brings you enjoyment you miserable fuckers 

• Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

The whining and misery on this site is tedious as fuck, and its the usual doom mongers trying to piss all over anyone's optimism. One poster said he thinks we'll challenge for the title and maybe the cups, and someone tells him to 'keep smoking the weed'. True reds don't speak to fellow fans like that.

This site has some of the most miserable, entitled, impatient cryarses I've read on the internet (and it's a pretty low bar...!). They love nothing more than yelling into their keyboards to rant yet another stream of sarcastic misery, which seems to be peddled on more and more threads with increasing regularity. It's no wonder so many of the decent posters have gone - anything positive is shouted down by the dickheads who live under a permanent raincloud.

Some of us are optimistic and think we have a decent squad. Of course, we'd still like to have more players, spend more, and win more, like fans of any club. But we don't cry into our keyboards when it doesn't happen. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but surely some of the best things about supporting a football club are hope, optimism and enjoyment? I'm all for free speech, but I just can't relate to anyone who just constantly moans and complains all the time, or microanalyses every aspect of the club to find fault. It's joyless, divisive, and toxic, and it certainly isn't the way I was brought up as a fan.

As I said on here in 2020/21 (when our injury crisis wrecked our season) - supporting a football club is like a good marriage. To get the most out if it, you have to fully commit - to have and to hold, in sickness and in health, for richer for poorer, to love and to cherish, till death do us part. Some on here wouldn't even make it down the aisle, as they don't have the stomach for the commitment, challenges, heartaches, disappointments, and roller-coaster ride that's part of being a supporter.

There seems to be an entire generation of fans (plus some old enough to know better...), who don't understand the meaning of true support, or the Liverpool way. Those types of fans seem to be obsessed by money, net spend, or desperate to say 'I told you so', or endlessly picking over the minutiae of previous transfer windows, or finding fault with anything and everything, or criticising signings before they've even kicked a ball, or constantly comparing us to other clubs (with zero context), and ranting on multiple threads like angry teenagers. Then mysteriously disappearing when things are going well, or saying things like 'I'm glad to be proven wrong', as if that somehow makes them less of a dickhead.

I don't relate to any of you that think or post in this way, and nor do I consider you a fellow red, or someone I'd ever want to be in the trenches with. You're part of the growing army of bellends that represent the modern football fan, and a world apart from fans I grew up with in the 80's and 90's and the people I speak to in real life. Its genuinely embarrassing to think some of you are actually Liverpool fans.

I think we'll challenge for the title this season, and can go deep in the cups (maybe win one). I have the same outlook every season, ever since my dad took to me to my first game in 1981. That's not because I'm a superfan, or smoking weed, or delusional (as many decent reds on here have been accused of). It's because personally I choose to follow the club with optimism - always hope for the best, but also prepare for the worst (and dont throw my toys out the pram when there's a setback). We've had far worse periods and squads than this before and still won trophies. We've also seen more (in the last 7 years under Jurgen alone...) than most fans of other clubs will see in their entire lifetimes.

Cheer up. There's far worse things to complain about in the world, and it's meant to be a sport that brings you enjoyment you miserable fuckers 

I agree with the first 3 paragraphs, the rest is too syrupy sweet, even for me! 

20 minutes ago, Mook said:

If someone offered me ten times the amount I'm on now to go and do the same thing in Saudi Arabia, any principles would go right out the window and I'd be on the first flight over there.

I've no idea why we judge Footballers so differently. We live in a capitalist World & they can set their family up for generations playing one season over there.

I don't judge them but it's a bit different. Most of us are probably three months' wages away from living on the streets, that's not the case with any of these lads. 

There's a threshold over which you've got enough money to last you for life, and if they're smart about it most of these lads probably reach that by their very early 20s. 

Also, a big part of sport is about fans (whether these athletes admit it or not) I'm pretty certain they didn't enjoy playing during Covid times. Why would someone go to a country where the grounds are empty and nobody gives a fuck? I reckon the appeal of that will wear off pretty quick.

If you're a Ronaldo and want lots of cash to funnel into your various business interests, and face an ignominious downward spiral of being benched by the Mancs, it's a no brainer, but if you're anywhere near the peak of your career, I don't get it - just feels like a total waste of all the non financial good stuff you'd ever experience in your career.

15 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

They didn’t come on her to be fucked at.