You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

6 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

The simple theory is we don't have a plan, I'm pretty convinced of it now.

At the beginning of the summer when we went straight in for Mac Allister, I thought for once that we meant business, but beyond that signing I don't think we actually have a solid strategy in place. Sure we liked Mount, I think we wanted him but moved away when it was apparent he wanted united, but have brought in DS (who i think i better btw) because we saw an opportunity.

Lavia...I mean if that's who Jurgen really wants why wasn't he signed earlier? We've had Thuram and Kone in the mix and seemingly changed our minds about those. And this Jorg fella, has he been involved in anything?

It feels like we got to mac Allister and then actually weren't that sure on who we wanted and what was available. Add into the mix an opportunity to cash in on two practically finished seniors for some good money and we are here, two weeks away from the start of the season, going to Singapore with four midfield players, with two still side-lined and the makeup of the midfield a couple of kids and two new faces. I haven't even mentioned the defence.

I think weve got a hell of a job on now for the remainder of the window because the squad as it stands is about 6-5th, maybe at a push a top four sneak, unless our top 13 have solid injury free top performances. We will score loads but concede loads - teams are no longer scared of us and fancy their chances. Even the half baked third tier German sides have had a little field day.

Agree on Mac Allister, probably the first name on our list - useful player to lock in especially at the time/fee. 

For me, we were going to buy 3 midfielders, so far the two look good.

I don't see how the club can move on a quality CB that can trouble what we already have with out someone leaving. Or entertaining they are leaving. Or liking a post by a Saudi team that they are leaving.

On 27/07/2023 at 15:03, Sparky said:

Wasn't that Cheyrou in both instances (Chelsea winner/new Zidane)?

2004, Jan 7th was Cheyrous winner. Also of note for Patrice Luizis only prem appearance for us. Only time I’ve been to the bridge, nice win.

2 hours ago, BeefStroganoff said:

The simple theory is we don't have a plan, I'm pretty convinced of it now.

At the beginning of the summer when we went straight in for Mac Allister, I thought for once that we meant business, but beyond that signing I don't think we actually have a solid strategy in place. Sure we liked Mount, I think we wanted him but moved away when it was apparent he wanted united, but have brought in DS (who i think i better btw) because we saw an opportunity.

Lavia...I mean if that's who Jurgen really wants why wasn't he signed earlier? We've had Thuram and Kone in the mix and seemingly changed our minds about those. And this Jorg fella, has he been involved in anything?

It feels like we got to mac Allister and then actually weren't that sure on who we wanted and what was available. Add into the mix an opportunity to cash in on two practically finished seniors for some good money and we are here, two weeks away from the start of the season, going to Singapore with four midfield players, with two still side-lined and the makeup of the midfield a couple of kids and two new faces. I haven't even mentioned the defence.

I think weve got a hell of a job on now for the remainder of the window because the squad as it stands is about 6-5th, maybe at a push a top four sneak, unless our top 13 have solid injury free top performances. We will score loads but concede loads - teams are no longer scared of us and fancy their chances. Even the half baked third tier German sides have had a little field day.

We had one plan - it was Mac Alister, then another attacking mid - Mount was first choice then we got Szloboszlai instead. Then it would have been Lavia if we could have picked him up for £30-35 mill and eased him in. Pretty decent plan.

Hendo and Fabinho going and our response thus far has made it pretty clear we didn’t expect it and don’t have a plan for replacing them two.

6 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Hendo and Fabinho going and our response thus far has made it pretty clear we didn’t expect it and don’t have a plan for replacing them two.

But it’s all great because loads on here think both are rubbish. I’m sure they’ll be completely patient in the season of transition ahead in which we’re probably even less likely to challenge for a title as we were a month ago.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

But it’s all great because loads on here think both are rubbish. I’m sure they’ll be completely patient in the season of transition ahead in which we’re probably even less likely to challenge for a title as we were a month ago.

There is just no way for my money that removing those two from our side makes us a worse one. When you think about all the things our midfield lacked last season, all the things it was shite at and all the things other teams bossed it in - pretty much all these things were things that Henderson and Fabinho were absolutely dreadful at.

I just can't see how we can't be better without them.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, an tha said:

There is just no way for my money that removing those two from our side makes us a worse one. When you think about all the things our midfield lacked last season, all the things it was shite at and all the things other teams bossed it in - pretty much all these things were things that Henderson and Fabinho were absolutely dreadful at.

I just can't see how we can't be better without them.

Whatever about Henderson, it’s madness to leave Fabinho go without appropriate, senior replacement. He was getting back to his best in the arse end of last season. 

Clearly, the flood of money from Saudi Arabia has slowed the European market to a standstill. As a result, there are no guarantees that we will have a single, designated defensive midfielder who isn’t a teenager by next month.

If people are happy for us to only exist as a selling club in this new reality because everybody has their price, fair enough, but there are blindingly obvious footballing consequences to all of this. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Whatever about Henderson, it’s madness to leave Fabinho go without appropriate, senior replacement. He was getting back to his best in the arse end of last season. 

Clearly, the flood of money from Saudi Arabia has slowed the European market to a standstill. As a result, there are no guarantees that we will have a single, designated defensive midfielder who isn’t a teenager by next month.

If people are happy for us to only exist as a selling club in this new reality because everybody has their price, fair enough, but there are blindingly obvious footballing consequences to all of this. 

I am totally convinced we will replace and upgrade Fabinho. And i am totally convinced as a result we'll be better.

He's done at the level we need in my view.

40m for him now is a result - over 50m in fees for the pair and 400k a week of wages to put towards upgrading them is great business.

We'll be sound. Actually i think we'll be better.

I am though concerened about things at centre half....

3 minutes ago, an tha said:

I am totally convinced we will replace and upgrade Fabinho. And i am totally convinced as a result we'll be better.

He's done at the level we need in my view.

40m for him now is a result - over 50m in fees for the pair and 400k a week of wages to put towards upgrading them is great business.

We'll be sound. Actually i think we'll be better.

I am though concerened about things at centre half....

But the climate has completely changed even in the last fortnight. Manchester City can’t get deals over the line. The real fear now is that our sales will go through but that we’ll struggle to bring in replacements. 

Just now, El Rojo said:

But the climate has completely changed even in the last fortnight. Manchester City can’t get deals over the line. The real fear now is that our sales will go through but that we’ll struggle to bring in replacements. 

If we'd stopped Fabinho going though we have an unhappy version of the player we saw last season.

If he wants to go to Saudi Arabia at 29 years of age then he's clearly given up competing at the highest level. Would you really want him sticking around knowing that?

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

We'll get them....may have to wait until the end of the window which is not ideal - and that won't help with getting team set, bedded in properly and all working/understanding etc - but that is a result of the disruption coming late.

But i stand by view - and do so strongly, that we will be better with this change.

I can see TAA starting the season in the 6 role and him transitioning back to the inverted RB role once we have a new DM settled.

Any player who wants to go should go - Fabinho could have said fuck off to saudi interest, he didn't and frankly as a result even if it fell through i'd want him sold - we simply should never keep a player who decides he wants out - and to want out to that mickey mouse league says to me he is mentally done at top level - and that is before we talk about his game.

Trust Klopp to get this right.

I’m not advocating players going to the Saudi league, but maybe we should remember that in the cases of Henderson and Fabinho, they’ve pretty much won all there is to win in England with the Premier League, the two domestic cups and Champions League, plus the extra trinkets of the World Club Cup, Charity Shield and European Super Cup.

The fact is that no serious club with ambitions to do something this year would sanction selling Fabinho without purchasing a direct replacement (and that means somebody in addition to Lavia). 

That’s not because Fabinho doesn’t have his flaws (he does) and also not because Fabinho isn’t worth selling at 40m (he absolutely is). It’s because having a successful season should be more important than 40m to our owners and frankly if you gave us “40M and nobody” or  “0M and Fabinho” I cannot see why the duck a single red would choose the former. What joy am I supposed to derive from our ambitionless cunt bastard owners getting an extra 40M in their pocket unless it funds reinvestment (and anybody with a fucking brain will tell you it won’t)?

Lavia Mac and Dom for a combined 140M, with about 65M recouped in sales and 50M scratched off the wage bill. How this fan base can accept that as a rebuild when anybody on and their mother knows we still need another senior DM, LCB and RB cover is beyond me. But I came to realize a long time ago that a lot of our fanbase have had their expectations well and truly lowered. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, El Rojo said:

There is no chance we challenge for the title this season and no one should expect that. If we were starting Hendo and Fabinho every game I’m not sure we’d have challenged for top four.