You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Christmas Adverts

Oh Buoy

43 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

They're all a load of bollocks. 

Has anyone even bought anything from these stores? I have honestly never set foot in a John Lewis.

Yeah, I’ve bought plenty of stuff from John Lewis over the years. It’s just a high street department store that sells a decent range of products, some of which interest me, some of which don’t.

Where do you buy your stuff from?

• Upvote 1

Cole Brothers or just 'Coles' as it was known in Sheffield for over a 170 years was the flagship store in the City center,

John Lewis purchased it just after WW2 ended and owed it until its closure last year.

I always used to go in and up to the top floor for a browse/purchase of the latest tech until Covid hit,That and the building needing upgrading was the reason given for closure.

Sheffield customers were advised to use the Leeds store,..Fuck off ! was the general response.

The original shop was located at the bottom of Fargate and that was where my Mum and Dad met in 1961 when they both worked there.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

They were a novelty at first but they're all pretty formulaic. Baffles me that people actually look forward to them, these people need to invest in a DVD player and streaming service

Hopefully they'll see ads for these. Lovely, fluffy Christmas ones.

8 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

Yeah, I’ve bought plenty of stuff from John Lewis over the years. It’s just a high street department store that sells a decent range of products, some of which interest me, some of which don’t.

Where do you buy your stuff from?

Tony, i have never bought anything from M&S either, I just don't go in those types of store 

I really get sand in my vagina about people enthusiastically parroting and willingly promoting adverts like good little consumers and I really go out of my way to avoid them. Christmas adverts are even more infuriating as people now see it as part of the whole experience buying into some cheesy schmaltzy shite. Fuck. Right. Off. 

• Upvote 1

Used to love Christmas especially shopping for pressies for the kids. But once they get beyond that age, a lot of the magic goes.

When you think about it, retailers have less than 13 weeks to get their Christmas lines out and shifted. To many of the smaller retailers, the 13 weeks represents the period when they probably make a great portion of their 12 months profit if they're lucky.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, manwiththestick said:

Tony, i have never bought anything from M&S either, I just don't go in those types of store 

I’m not sure what you mean by those “types of stores”, mate, and may I ask why you don’t shop in them?

I used to buy underwear and lambswool jumpers from M&S. Although they were a bit more expensive than, say, Littlewoods, it was worth paying the extra as they were well made and lasted for years. Nowadays, I shop elsewhere as I feel M&S are increasingly prioritising throwaway fashion over quality.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

I’m not sure what you mean by those “types of stores”, mate, and may I ask why you don’t shop in them?

I used to buy underwear and lambswool jumpers from M&S. Although they were a bit more expensive than, say, Littlewoods, it was worth paying the extra as they were well made and lasted for years. Nowadays, I shop elsewhere as I feel M&S are increasingly prioritising throwaway fashion over quality.

I never used to go in for stuff like clothes but I’ve disappeared up my own arse and buy food from M&S recently. Reason being Tesco etc has gone up that much there isn’t even that much price difference any more but the quality is much better (in opinion). 
‘Sniffs haughtily ‘

Absolutely ANYTHING to do with Aldi, their online presence and subsequent japery makes me cringe. That Caterpillar nonsense was a stay at home parents wet dream.

"oh my god absolutely creased at Aldis tweet to M&S"

"Isn't it brilliant luv"

"me and the kids were howling !!"

"Ours think I'm mad !!, hope everything is good Luv"

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

I live in Runcorn, we didn't and don't have those stores local. 

I once went in M&S in town with a girlfriend, didn't buy anything but that may be my one and only visit.

• Upvote 1