You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Emergency Ward 10 - The Injuries Thread

an tha

Jack Grealish was back and gone again within half an hour. Jesus has been back and gone again multiple times. All the top medical teams can't be shit. There comes a point when you just need to play the players, the medical staff will always want more patience while the management will always want the players available quicker. Looking at Darwin and Dom at Wembley it would appear that the medical staff are winning that argument rather than the other way around.

1 hour ago, No2 said:

Jack Grealish was back and gone again within half an hour. Jesus has been back and gone again multiple times. All the top medical teams can't be shit. There comes a point when you just need to play the players, the medical staff will always want more patience while the management will always want the players available quicker. Looking at Darwin and Dom at Wembley it would appear that the medical staff are winning that argument rather than the other way around.

I think it a strange point of view that we shouldn't worry about it considering the amount of injuries in general and the number of recurrences. You're picking out one or two players at other clubs. We currently have about 10 or 12 out or doubtful for today. Of them, thiago, Dom, Salah, Trent at least are recurrences. It would be remiss of the club if they weren't validating our methods or at least planning to. 

As for the final last week, it's a bit different celebrating a goal than expecting someone to go and play for 30, 60, 90 or whatever. These lads on their comeback are running and all that. But they're not taking part in full training. 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

I dunno what happened with alisson. He missed the first game when there was illness around the squad and the players went home and didn't train and he phoned in the day of the match. Klopp just said he didn't know what was wrong with him and the press speculated illness. But he then train and it seems got the hamstring the training session before the game. I got the impression it was bad from the outset. The Brazil couch said he'd miss the international. But it could be when it was speculated he was ill, he had a minor strain. It wouldn't surprise anyone would it?

He got a hamstring injury in the draw away at City. Then returned after a few weeks, was ill for a short spell, and then was pulled out of the Brentford match with a hamstring injury. Recurring according the Athletic, «fresh hamstring injury» according other sources.

3 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

He got a hamstring injury in the draw away at City. Then returned after a few weeks, was ill for a short spell, and then was pulled out of the Brentford match with a hamstring injury. Recurring according the Athletic, «fresh hamstring injury» according other sources.

He did come back quickly from that hamstring, I'd actually forgotten about that one. There must have been 6-8 weeks between them though? 

How the fuck a keeper gets a hamstring, I've no idea. 

50 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think it a strange point of view that we shouldn't worry about it considering the amount of injuries in general and the number of recurrences. You're picking out one or two players at other clubs. We currently have about 10 or 12 out or doubtful for today. Of them, thiago, Dom, Salah, Trent at least are recurrences. It would be remiss of the club if they weren't validating our methods or at least planning to. 

As for the final last week, it's a bit different celebrating a goal than expecting someone to go and play for 30, 60, 90 or whatever. These lads on their comeback are running and all that. But they're not taking part in full training. 

Shouldn't worry isn’t the way I'd phrase it. The issue I have is the competence of our medical staff being questioned by people that haven't a clue what they're talking about. Everything about the club is best in class, I see no reason why our medical set up wouldn't be. They are in charge of £100m assets, they're not Roy Hodgson testing their resolve.

2 minutes ago, No2 said:

Shouldn't worry isn’t the way I'd phrase it. The issue I have is the competence of our medical staff being questioned by people that haven't a clue what they're talking about. Everything about the club is best in class, I see no reason why our medical set up wouldn't be. They are in charge of £100m assets, they're not Roy Hodgson testing their resolve.

Things can always be improved, otherwise we'd be doing stuff like Shanks was. It's a constant evolution. And if our managing the fitness is behind that of our peers, you have 2 choices. Shrug your shoulders and proclaim our greatness, or we review what we do. I will be amazed after a season like this if it's the former. 

We asked Egypt not to pick Salah for the WC qualifiers with his injury. Obviously Egypt has just selected him for the games. No doubt he'll play 180 mi s and get get hurt again. Mo should pull out the squad himself

59 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

We asked Egypt not to pick Salah for the WC qualifiers with his injury. Obviously Egypt has just selected him for the games. No doubt he'll play 180 mi s and get get hurt again. Mo should pull out the squad himself

A friendly against New Zealand in Abu Dhabi is far more important than a title run in with the club who pays your wages, surely! 

1 hour ago, Lee909 said:

As you say, Salah himself is big enough to do the sensible thing on this. 

He was dreadful after he came back from the tournament in 2022 and badly injured this time around. He shouldn’t be risking further disruption to his and our season. 

On 02/03/2024 at 22:38, Lee909 said:

They're not qualifiers. It's just friendlies in UAE. 

Anyway, to actual injured players. Despite the scare stories, kelleher is fine. Danns is missing for Thursday with concussion. 

6 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

They're not qualifiers. It's just friendlies in UAE. 

Anyway, to actual injured players. Despite the scare stories, kelleher is fine. Danns is missing for Thursday with concussion. 

If there's any doubts around Kelleher I'd leave him out tomorrow. We can't afford to have Adrian in goal against City.

Danns is a proper LFC senior team player now...

Jayden Danns is suffering from concussion after a heavy collision with the Nottingham Forest keeper on Saturday.

[@IanDoyleSport]

Kelleher is fine and was in training today as was Salah. 

On 02/03/2024 at 13:41, Barrington Womble said:
freestar

He did come back quickly from that hamstring, I'd actually forgotten about that one. There must have been 6-8 weeks between them though? 

How the fuck a keeper gets a hamstring, I've no idea. 

As I am sure you know kicking and jumping both involve hamstring.

It is a rare injury I suppose for a keeper and typical of our luck with injuries.

3 hours ago, an tha said:

As I am sure you know kicking and jumping both involve hamstring.

It is a rare injury I suppose for a keeper and typical of our luck with injuries.

I've just never really heard of a keeper suffering from that type of injury. I'm sure it must happen, it just never passes my radar. And 2 in a season, fucking hell! 

Jürgen Klopp will select from a 23-man squad for Liverpool’s Europa League last-16 first leg against Sparta Prague that includes the returning Mohamed Salah.

Salah has been absent due to injury since the Reds’ Premier League win at Brentford two-and-a-half weeks ago, but is back training with the squad and travelled to Czechia.

Klopp’s men take on the reigning Czech champions in game one of their tie, which kicks off at 5.45pm GMT at Stadion Letna on Thursday.

“He is with us, he trained two days, so full of energy. We have to see,” the manager said of Salah’s status, during his pre-match press conference.

“We want to be careful, we have to be careful, but in the middle of a super-intense period of the season we need everybody and now let’s see how long we can use him. That’s how it is with him and with others as well. Yeah, just good news.”

Dominik Szoboszlai is also again at Klopp’s disposal having made his comeback as a second-half substitute in last weekend’s victory at Nottingham Forest.

The boss said: “It was not an injury where it was painful every day or whatever, he was just not allowed to train properly, how it is with muscle injuries.

“So, that’s the reason why we had to be careful in his rehab, because if you would have asked Dom, he could have trained completely with the team for two or three weeks, but all the medical advice told us no, we have to wait. And that’s what we did.

“Now he is back, played a few minutes, is in the squad. All the rest, we will see.”

Also part of the Reds group in Prague is Mateusz Musialowski, for whom an appearance would be his first at senior level for the club, while Adrian is set to be in a Europa League matchday squad for the first time this term.

Liverpool’s absentees are Trent Alexander-Arnold, Alisson Becker, Stefan Bajcetic, Ben Doak, Ryan Gravenberch, Curtis Jones, Diogo Jota, Joel Matip and Thiago Alcantara.

Sparta coach Brian Priske, meanwhile, reported largely positive news on his squad’s fitness when he spoke to the media on Wednesday.

The hosts had to check on the condition of ‘a few’ players – including Filip Panak – following last weekend’s goalless draw with Slavia Prague.

The Czech team’s top scorer, Lukas Haraslin, returned in that game having missed the preceding fixture due to an injury.

Priske has already decided upon his starting XI to face the Reds and communicated the selection to his players.

Liverpool will check on the fitness of Ibrahima Konate after he was withdrawn during the 5-1 win over Sparta Prague on Thursday night.

The centre-back went down requiring treatment before being substituted in the 51st minute at Stadion Letna and will require further assessment back on Merseyside.

However, there are no concerns over Joe Gomez, who was taken off at half-time of the last-16, first-leg clash in Czechia.

Jürgen Klopp told his post-match press conference: "We don't know [yet]. Ibou said to me when he passed me in that moment, 'I thought if I do another sprint then it could be bad.' So, he said he should be fine, but we don't know.

"Joey is fine. We took him off, he played a lot of games so that was more rotation, precaution. Now let's see what is with Ibou."