You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Crystal Palace (H) - Mon 15th Aug 2022 (8:00pm)

Trumo

The day after the night before and it does not feel any better to me.

Yeah i am pessimistic by nature - but it just does not feel right at the minute - it does not feel right to have so many injuries, it does not feel right to be starting Nat Phillips and James Milner - it does not feel right to have reduced our forward options from 7 to 5....

It does not feel right to literally have no midfielder to speak of who you can say is in his prime.....Fabinho might be the closest and he is 29 soon.

It does not feel right that our midfield lacks physicallity, legs and creativity - and of course is made up mostly of the ageing, injury prone a and as yet unproven kids.

This group of players have been incredible for about 5 years....the levels they have been at have been just fantastic - but it has always felt like the car has always been at full revs all the time to achieve what we have - and over time so much mileage running an engine flat out eventually wears it down - parts weaken, parts break, those weakened parts and broken parts cause problems with other parts and the engine loses its power.....

It feels like this has happened to us.....IMHO we are in desperate need of new, prime condition, top of the range parts for our engine - to power us again....it does not feel like we have acquired them and it does not feel like we can rely on the existing parts to be as strong, powerful, reliable and efficient as they have been and as they need to be.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, The Golden Eel said:

Well, he'd certainly need to be imporving his performances for that to happen as he's played a part in two of the three goals we've conceded in the league so far. Poor penalty conceded last week and not sure what he was doing last night either.

I agree but I think he (and any suitor) would argue that he's playing next to Nat Phillips and behind a shite midfield. If I was real I'd be readying a 100m bid for him next season. We'd accept it and Klopp will tell us its because he's loyal to his players, then we'll be told we need to wait another season to win anything.

This is a totally imaginary scenario so absolutely none of the above could happen, but I'm whipping myself up into a frenzy of annoyance for a few days so let me be.

• Downvote 2

11 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

My heart sank when the game started and Palace sank nine players deep into their half. If that's a cup tie against a lower league team, fine, but this is a league that keeps telling us how great all the squads are and what a great standard of football is played, and yet this is what about six or seven teams do every fucking week unless they're playing each other: non-football posing as 'clever' tactics. It's the equivalent of a debating society in which one group just keeps saying 'That's what yer ma says' as a response. There's nothing clever about parking the bus: we've all worked out that 'shape' when we were kids in the infant school's playground. You don't need a coaching badge to set up a team like that. I think last season was probably the worst yet, and if last night was anything to go by, this season will be even worse.

You can't stop it but there's no reason to indulge it. That's what really irritates me. Time-wasting is an offence. It's not an optional thing for refs to consider or ignore. It's an offence. It should be penalised when it first happens - in the first half. If players want to keep lying on the floor, make them go off the pitch. If they try to hold players every time they threaten to get away, book them for that, too. Most of these 'efforts' would disintegrate if only refs actually penalised cheating. 

The ref last night clearly saw and ignored about thirty time-wasting instances by the keeper, and yet he waited until the 90th minute before booking him, when his job was done. That's a disgrace. Even Gooner-bore Alan Smith said  straight after the booking, 'He'll do it some more now'. It's just a depressing joke. I don't want to sit through that crap any more. I'm done.

Totally agree, but it is what it is. 

What irritates me more is that the defending team have an unerring ability to have the time to hit perfect 60 yard balls to their lone striker almost everytime.  How are we allowing the space for them to get those balls out?  And why isn't Alisson playing as the sweeper anymore? We seem to be in this no-mans land of having 8 men in the opposition half and 2 on the halfway line very close to each other, and a keeper stood on the edge of his box unable or unwilling to intercept a ball down the flanks. 

But the key issue is the lack of end product from the 8 men in the opposition half.  Diaz was way too deep at times, it's absurd. Salah far too wide, it's fucking boring to watch our approach play.  At this point in time it actually staggers me that Klopp has found a way of setting up a team featuring Salah, Diaz, Trent, that renders them inert, it's almost impossible you'd think, but he's done it. 

Our midfield is cringe.  Klopp can dress that up however he likes, but the results are the realism, what comes out of his mouth is irrelevant.  I don't know what his game is, we all know the club were desperate for Tchouameni, and that was prior to the injuries.  It's insulting to supporters to pretend the situation is becoming of a genuine rival to City.  

And I don't blame anyone but Klopp.  I don't blame the shite midfielders for wanting to stay, I don't blame Curtis Jones for being a Championship level player, or Elliott for being a season-short of sharpness and experience, or Keita for his malfunctioning body, or Henderson for his 70% multi-discipline competence levels.  They are Klopp's collection, and selection, in the year 2022/23. 

All looks ok until you factor-in that Chamberlain and Jones don't really exist, not in any substantial form anyway. Keita and Thiago half-exist.  I'm all out of sympathy for Klopp at this point.  It's not bad luck, it's a pattern over 2 years and he's failing to rectify it.  

• Downvote 5

4 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Totally agree, but it is what it is. 

What irritates me more is that the defending team have an unerring ability to have the time to hit perfect 60 yard balls to their lone striker almost everytime.  How are we allowing the space for them to get those balls out?  And why isn't Alisson playing as the sweeper anymore? We seem to be in this no-mans land of having 8 men in the opposition half and 2 on the halfway line very close to each other, and a keeper stood on the edge of his box unable or unwilling to intercept a ball down the flanks. 

But the key issue is the lack of end product from the 8 men in the opposition half.  Diaz was way too deep at times, it's absurd. Salah far too wide, it's fucking boring to watch our approach play.  At this point in time it actually staggers me that Klopp has found a way of setting up a team featuring Salah, Diaz, Trent, that renders them inert, it's almost impossible you'd think, but he's done it. 

Our midfield is cringe.  Klopp can dress that up however he likes, but the results are the realism, what comes out of his mouth is irrelevant.  I don't know what his game is, we all know the club were desperate for Tchouameni, and that was prior to the injuries.  It's insulting to supporters to pretend the situation is becoming of a genuine rival to City.  

And I don't blame anyone but Klopp.  I don't blame the shite midfielders for wanting to stay, I don't blame Curtis Jones for being a Championship level player, or Elliott for being a season-short of sharpness and experience, or Keita for his malfunctioning body, or Henderson for his 70% multi-discipline competence levels.  They are Klopp's collection, and selection, in the year 2022/23. 

All looks ok until you factor-in that Chamberlain and Jones don't really exist, not in any substantial form anyway. Keita and Thiago half-exist.  I'm all out of sympathy for Klopp at this point.  It's not bad luck, it's a pattern over 2 years and he's failing to rectify it.  

So it's Klopp out?

27 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

So it's Klopp out?

No no no, but it's time for Klopp to address the problem with a couple of different players.  Only he knows the kitty, and he never speaks ill of FSG, so the money must be there...if it's not, of he's been covering for them, then now is the time to make a ripple in the pond. 

And for what it's worth, I don't think you fix this with just Bellingham, he needs 2. Letting Wolves steal Nunes would be a huge opportunity lost at what seems like a good price.  

3 hours ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

But why? Why, after finishing 1 measly point behind them, should we be all meekly accepting that we're not going to win the title for another season? If the owners and the manager were serious about winning titles, they would have invested this summer sensibly and had us ready to roll from day 1. That doesn't mean we would not have dropped points, that happens, but we are currently dropping points because of awful squad planning and lack of investment. We are resorting to starting Milner as our started 8, that has nothing to do with Nunez, Mane or Haaland.

Another year wasting VVD, Allison and Salah's prime. Another year wasting Klopp's time here. You can't keep waiting for a point in the future, because before you know it, the things you're taking for granted aren't around anymore. If we don't do anything this year and Madrid come in for VVD, do you not think his head might begin to turn?

Can you disappear until next August again please?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Its FSG's fault, the running a business properly, stable, trophy winning, Klopp hiring, ground improving cunts. I want an oil based country with a dictatorship and dodgy morals or an oligarch who will give us unlimited funds, not some cunts who will expect to see a return.

• Upvote 2

There is no doubt in my mind that we haven't got enough quality, reliability, legs and creativity in our midfield options.

I find it strange that we are not addressing it - it is a weird blind spot that Klopp seems to have - and for someone who nails pretty much everything it is IMHO really weird.

He must know Thiago is effectively going to be available for about half our games.

He must know Henderson can't play 2/3 games a week at the level we need now.

He clearly has no time for Oxlade - look at last season - whether he is fit or not it really makea no difference...he makes no difference.

Keita - is it all suddenly going to come right after all this time? Well Klopp wouldn't start him over Milner or Elliott last night...

Milner - great pro - 37 years old.....he wouldn't start games for any of our rivals now.

Fabinho - literally the only midfielder at club who is reliable and trusted and in his peak/prime - that is criminal out of 9 of them.

Then we have the kids - Elliott, Carvalho and Jones - it is good they are there, all squads need them - but they are just that - kids, and as yet they are unproven....time will tell on them and there is clearly talent there but they are learning their trade and a club of our ambitions should not be as reliant on them as we are - unless they are superstars ala Owen and Ronney for example when they broke through as players.......I'd say they aren't.

It just does not feel right to me, the mix, the blend, the skill sets, the like for like replacements and cover within the group and worse still on the whole not enough legs (going both ways) reliability, quality and creativity.

It is a glaring weakness and it is costing us and it is being exploited.

19 hours ago, Leyton388 said:

He won't though. We'll go into the season with this squad, struggle like fuck and he'll still do fuck all about it. 

Honestly how can a club of our size be one of the lowest spending teams in the league with the amount of revenue that comes into it? 

We spend absolutely nothing year upon year unless we sell. Its not sustainable if you have ambition. 

We’ve fans that reckon we spend what we earn just cause the money from players sold gets reinvested.

Very few in the real world though.  Just the super fan internet knobheads.

• Downvote 2

On the time-wasting point, a player who goes down holding his head who hasn't been fouled should have to spend a couple of minutes on the touchline to clear his head before being allowed back on.  It's the safest thing to do. 

• Upvote 3

On the refereeing point, refs pick and choose which laws they enforce.

Time wasting should be cautioned, not on the 90th minute but early in the game. And then the referee must have the bottle to follow law and dismiss if it continues.

Taylor at Chelsea, the hair pull by Romero is a straight red for violent conduct. But yet the referee and then VAR decide no case to answer.

That is plain wrong and they should be made to answer for that.

Tierney is a little manc twat who struts around the field like he owns it. Next time he comes to anfield I’d ensure no drinks or half-time snacks etc are available to him. In fact I’d hose the refs room down and have it wet through for when he arrives the little putrid cunt. Cold shower for the bald rat.

3 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

At this point in time it actually staggers me that Klopp has found a way of setting up a team featuring Salah, Diaz, Trent, that renders them inert, it's almost impossible you'd think, but he's done it. 

Our midfield is cringe.  Klopp can dress that up however he likes, but the results are the realism, what comes out of his mouth is irrelevant.  

And I don't blame anyone but Klopp.

They are Klopp's collection, and selection, in the year 2022/23. 

I'm all out of sympathy for Klopp at this point.  It's not bad luck, it's a pattern over 2 years and he's failing to rectify it.  

Don't think what I've picked out misrepresents your post. Reads pretty damning to me.

2 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

No no no, but it's time for Klopp to address the problem with a couple of different players.  Only he knows the kitty, and he never speaks ill of FSG, so the money must be there...if it's not, of he's been covering for them, then now is the time to make a ripple in the pond. 

And for what it's worth, I don't think you fix this with just Bellingham, he needs 2. Letting Wolves steal Nunes would be a huge opportunity lost at what seems like a good price.  

Why would a manager in any business slag his boss/owners, it's employment suicide.

Not disputing I wouldn't mind some signings but as has been said on here and by Klopp we don't buy if the right player isn't available. Seen that far to many times during our wilderness years.

22 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Serious? 

I think he currently plays in the most intelligent position in world football.  Physically intensive, tactically nuanced, and positionally transient, while also finding time to take every set-piece, and always playing the full 90. 

He needs a more central role to link play in the tightest areas, and get shots away.  

Nobody agrees with me, that fine, but I'm totally convinced he's wasted. 

With decent finishing from our forwards he would’ve had two or three assists in the first half last night. He’s been one of the top players in the league when it comes to creating chances and assists for a few seasons now. Strange definition of wasted.

On 15/08/2022 at 22:26, Creator Supreme said:

How do you do it? What did you replace it within?

I'm desperate to get away from it, thats why I've ended up acting the cunt tonight!

I've better things to do, but I just can't divorce myself from it completely. Which annoys me, because I need to. The game is rigged and I don't want to be arsed anymore.

For starters I avoid all sports media. I'm driving all day so I'm listening to totally non sports related podcasts.

Immersed myself in my (very busy and enjoyable) workload. Then I've been watching some Commonwealth games and European athletics stuff. Y'know, sports men and women who don't dive and cheat or drive Ferraris or negotiate image rights or fucking headbutt each other.

Then just trying to forget about our games. I think what makes it less difficult is that we're in an age where 2 drawn games means the title effectively belongs to that cheating set of cunts so honestly, what's the point?  My blood pressure is considerably lower than it would have been had I been full on watching the games and getting all annoyed about it. 

5 hours ago, aws said:

On the time-wasting point, a player who goes down holding his head who hasn't been fouled should have to spend a couple of minutes on the touchline to clear his head before being allowed back on.  It's the safest thing to do. 

They should be made to go to the touchline and have a full concussion assessment by a doctor.

7 hours ago, Anubis said:

They should be made to go to the touchline and have a full concussion assessment by a doctor.

They should be retrospectively red carded if proven there's been no head contact.  Taking advantage of a rule designed in good faith purely to protect players health is disgusting.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Peter Cormack said:

Yet another shit refereeing display from Tierney. Anderson was niggling and fouling  Nunez for the whole game. Nothing given. The team with the best disciplinary record in the league has had two players sent off by the same ref in successive games he’s reffed. Coincidence?

Who was the other one?

Nunez was a definite red. 100%. Any ref would have given that.

Plenty to attack Tierney with, but not that.