You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Films That Have Aged Badly

Most of the films mentioned in here were bad when they were released, Airplane the obvious exception.

Oddly, I tend to find 80s & 90s films generally date more badly than the ones from the 70s.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

I find the concept of watching old films and complaining that they are dated, baffling. Of course they seem dated when compared with modern films. Lots of time has passed since they were made and things are done differently now.

I was thinking about this reading the thread & I think all films tend to date after 5 or 10 years but 'dating badly' is different.

I mean, you can say Taxi Driver has dated because of the 70s haircuts and keks people are wearing but I don't think you could ever say it's dated badly, in fact it has probably improved with age.

I'm struggling to think of an obvious example of a film which has dated badly to be honest, I don't see too many of them in here either, most were shite to start with. Special effects & crap 80s soundtracks could be a factor I suppose.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Reservoir Dogs. It's all style and no substance - and the style is badly dated.

I watched it again a few months ago and thought it was still brilliant.

It has plenty of substance. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Elite said:

I watched it again a few months ago and thought it was still brilliant.

It has plenty of substance. 

Yep. That breakfast dialogue is still and always will be superb. 

I bet you Mal doesn't like Pulp Fiction either the fucking violin 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Bjornebye said:

Yep. That breakfast dialogue is still and always will be superb. 

I bet you Mal doesn't like Pulp Fiction either the fucking violin 

The backstory scene with Mr. Blonde meeting up with Nice Guy Eddie and Joe once he has been released from prison is great as well .

• Upvote 2

Once Upon a Time In America for me, I absolutely loved it and thought it was an absolute masterpiece. Every time I watch it, I somehow like it less and less.

I agree with Mook, 70s films seem more resistant to aging, 80s and 90s not so much. I watched As Good As It Gets recently again and it feels barely decent now, it was great in the 90s.

In terms of ideology, apart from obvious examples, How To Murder Your Wife (1965) with Jack Lemmon was a hilarious recent watch for me.  

3 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Once Upon a Time In America for me, I absolutely loved it and thought it was an absolute masterpiece. Every time I watch it, I somehow like it less and less.

I agree with Mook, 70s films seem more resistant to aging, 80s and 90s not so much. I watched As Good As It Gets recently again and it feels barely decent now, it was great in the 90s.

In terms of ideology, apart from obvious examples, How To Murder Your Wife (1965) with Jack Lemmon was a hilarious recent watch for me.  

I fell asleep when I saw As Good as It Gets at the pictures.

25 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

Bloody hell, I seem to have upset the Airplane fan club. A film that I used to find brilliant, but now not so much. If you still like it and think the jokes aren't a bit dated, then fair fucks to you.

Surely you can’t be serious?

• Upvote 4