You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Succession

Bjornebye

40 minutes ago, Poor Scouser T said:

Can someone tell me the epic story arc here or am I missing something?

As far as I can tell a rich bloke is ill or packing it in and a lot of non entities have spent 4 series shouting shit insults at each other.

Shit 'The Thick Of It'.

The "epic story arc" is actually a full stop; in 4 seasons, nothing has happened. Nothing.

1 minute ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

The "epic story arc" is actually a full stop; in 4 seasons, nothing has happened. Nothing.

Yeah thats what I thought. Every great show you can give a brief synopsis of what it is about. Sopranos, Wire etc this if someone asked me what is it about? What are the cliff hangers? I would just shrug.

10 minutes ago, Poor Scouser T said:

Yeah thats what I thought. Every great show you can give a brief synopsis of what it is about. Sopranos, Wire etc this if someone asked me what is it about? What are the cliff hangers? I would just shrug.

Nonsense. What’s Curb Your Enthusiasm about? What’s Fawlty Towers about? There does not have to be some great story arc. At its heart it’s a black comedy about a family of absolutely irredeemable cunts. It’s hilarious, brilliant television with some of the best writing and casting around.

So what if there isn’t a story? There isn’t supposed to be one. I laugh out loud at this every single week. It’s way funnier than Jesse Armstrong’s other widely lauded comedy, Peep Show, in my view. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Paul said:

Nonsense. What’s Curb Your Enthusiasm about? What’s Fawlty Towers about? There does not have to be some great story arc. At its heart it’s a black comedy about a family of absolutely irredeemable cunts. It’s hilarious, brilliant television with some of the best writing and casting around. So what if there isn’t a story? There isn’t supposed to be one. 

The example you give Curb and faulty are a completely different genre and are not story based. Each episode is a stand alone and the focus is on the laughs and the characters. This has neither laughs story or characters with any depth.

6 minutes ago, Poor Scouser T said:

The example you give Curb and faulty are a completely different genre and are not story based. Each episode is a stand alone and the focus is on the laughs and the characters. This has neither laughs story or characters with any depth.

They’re not a different genre. This is a comedy. In fact it’s a situation comedy with the premise “look at this group of reprehensible people all fucking each other over in ever more appalling ways”. It’s not really satire, even though it’s clearly about the Murdochs. It’s straight up comedy. Yes, it cloaks itself in dramatic robes, but it’s supposed to make you laugh. It’s obvious! There are proper belly laughs by the score every single week! Look at some of the lines people have quoted above in this thread!

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Paul said:

They’re not a different genre. This is a comedy. In fact it’s a situation comedy with the premise “look at this group of reprehensible people all fucking each other over in ever more appalling ways”. It’s not really satire, even though it’s clearly about the Murdochs. It’s straight up comedy. Yes, it cloaks itself in dramatic robes, but it’s supposed to make you laugh. It’s obvious! There are proper belly laughs by the score every single week! Look at some of the lines people have quoted above in this thread!

I get where you are coming from and can see what you mean but if that is it's aim for me it missed the spot. It falls someway short of comedy and likewise drama. I mentioned The Thick Of It earlier and I see some similarities in the situation humour. However Annouci (sp) gives you someone to root for. Even if Malcolm is the biggest twat you kind of want him to win in this there is none of that. Opinions eh, but that is mine. 

My missus watched this and I was really disappointed. Because of the hype, I hadn't expected a campy comedy drama about billionaires with ludicrous weekly "reveals" about long lost children and cartel ties in the past. 

However, there are some pretty fit birds in there so I kept an eye on it. 

Turns out she's watching the reboot of Dynasty and just skipping the intro every time. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

My missus watched this and I was really disappointed. Because of the hype, I hadn't expected a campy comedy drama about billionaires with ludicrous weekly "reveals" about long lost children and cartel ties in the past. 

However, there are some pretty fit birds in there so I kept an eye on it. 

Turns out she's watching the reboot of Dynasty and just skipping the intro every time. 

Ha, ha, ha!!! 

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

It’s the best series on tv. Quite mad for people to claim it’s shit yet watch episode 1 of series 4 on the first day it’s released …… 

I have kind of enjoyed it. I'm not saying it is the worst thing ever and I confess I have watched the previous stuff but felt it was just a massive let down. I suppose you get the characters or you don't I just found it awkward and pointless.

It’s one of very few US programmes not to make you feel  even dumber after watching it.  And there are several genuinely funny moments per episode.  It’s clearly nowhere near as smart as The Thick of It but it has a massively bigger budget so is very easy on the eye. 

People complaining about plots not being driven forward don't seem to understand how TV works sometimes. It's perfectly viable for the status quo to  be maintained in TV, not every episode has to propel the story forward week on week.

Obviously Jesse Armstrong recognises that eventually Logan has to be toppled, or the kids permanently lose, so this is the final season.

Bottle episodes, flashbacks, character-based episodes - not everything has to be Billions, moving forward and a lightning pace.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

ive never known a show where the dialogue is as sharp as this,the closest I can think of is mad men.

Its a drama which is funnier than most comedies.

The performances are absolutely oustanding.

it will rightly go down as one of the all time greats.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

ive never known a show where the dialogue is as sharp as this,the closest I can think of is mad men.

Its a drama which is funnier than most comedies.

The performances are absolutely oustanding.

it will rightly go down as one of the all time greats.

I think it's a comedy first and foremost, with an almost incidental storyline.  The storyline doesn't stand up to scrutiny really, but the dialogue is really funny in places.  You might want to watch The Thick of It for sharp dialogue. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RedKnight said:

People complaining about plots not being driven forward don't seem to understand how TV works sometimes. It's perfectly viable for the status quo to  be maintained in TV, not every episode has to propel the story forward week on week.

Obviously Jesse Armstrong recognises that eventually Logan has to be toppled, or the kids permanently lose, so this is the final season.

Bottle episodes, flashbacks, character-based episodes - not everything has to be Billions, moving forward and a lightning pace.

The issue with Succession is that in 4 seasons, the plot hasn't moved forward at all!

It started off with a grumpy old bastard being sized up by his bickering idiot offspring, and 4 seasons later...

Fuck me all of a sudden this thread's like some divvy messaging a bird he clearly stalks on instagram: 

I don't know what people see in you. 

No seriously you're a fucking munter. 

You're not exactly Charlize Theron are you love. 

I've eaten in there, food's fucking hideous you skank. 

Are you awake? 

That blouse does fuck all for your crap tits. 

What's changed with you in 4 years? Fuck all, no ambition. 

Go on fuck off I didn't want you anyway. 

• Upvote 1