You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia v Ukraine

Bjornebye

I dunno. It's great that the Ukrainians are making an advance, but it looks like an isolated, thin push at this point. I can't see it lasting unless they have reserves to exploit it.

Edit: Although looking at the South, it looks like they are trying to isolate Izium. Hope it works out for them.

46 minutes ago, SasaS said:

That sounds a lot, because you always have to considered the wounded multiples. They reportedly attacked with under 200,000 soldiers and I saw an estimate they still have about 160,000 in Ukraine, including rotations and furloughs and such.

There has been persistent info that they are struggling with new contract soldiers, offering ever bigger signing bonuses, organizing regional volunteer battalions and so on. I doubt that too many wounded rush to get back, although there have been recent reports they are pressurizing people in recovery to get back.

DNR which is the only side publishing their losses had it at about 2,500 a couple of months ago if memory serves, with LNR that would be maybe 4,000 dead, possibly 5,000 by now. So with mercenaries and various other, minor categories, way over 50,000. Which would mean Ukrainians are not too far behind (if indeed they are not ahead). And I doubt they would have survived such casualty numbers, 200,000 - 250,000 dead, wounded and captured. Plus those that couldn't take it, deserted or asked for a transfer or demob. 

Yeah, you're probably right. I don't know if they pay out for injuries or not. I tried to find the document, but will keep looking.

12 minutes ago, M_B said:

I dunno. It's great that the Ukrainians are making an advance, but it looks like an isolated, thin push at this point. I can't see it lasting unless they have reserves to exploit it.

Edit: Although looking at the South, it looks like they are trying to isolate Izium. Hope it works out for them.

It looks more than a thin push to me.

Even if they don't take Kupyansk, they have already cut the line of communication west of the river from K towards Izyum. They can push south towards Izyum and renew their past efforts through the forests west of Izyum and really put Russians under pressure, because they can only supply it over Lyman from the east where there is much narrower corridor. If they can hold the Chuhuiv - Kupyansk line in the north and push further from Slovyansk over Stari Karavan to the river in the south, Izyum would be impossible to defend for the Russians. They could take everything west of the Oskil river.

Assuming Russians don't counterattack with some tremendous force now, of course.

In any case, a tremendous morale boost for Ukrainians this. If they can capture and then hold Kupyans and Izyum, that should keep them warm all through winter.

Sounds like the Ukrainians have played a blinder the last few days. Putting up signals about attacking Kherson and then when the Russians have started reinforcing the South and moving their troops away from the North, they have attacked and now sounds like liberated both Kupiansk and Izium. It is early days, but sounds like they have the momentum currently atleast. 

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ukraine-troops-raise-flag-over-railway-hub-advance-threatens-turn-into-rout-2022-09-10/

Fair play to them but it's the yanks really IMO. 

Imagine the havoc modern American intelligence and tech can wreak with an 80s army like the Russians are fielding.

It's like when the French were trying to take on panzer divisions with horses. 

That's why the Russians have lost so many top brass, the Ukrainians will know the Russian movements before they do. Russians were being tracked in their tanks with their own sim cards. 

1 minute ago, Gnasher said:

Putin will end up topping himself, before someone does the job for him.

Someone made a point early on in the invasion that the reason it always ends in tears for these people - and you can include Trump and Johnson in this - is because they surround themselves with people who just tell them what they want to hear.

Putin is probably still of the belief that his army are doing well, the first he'll realise he's not is when Zalenski is stood outside his black sea condo with a bazooka.