You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp: Now is not the time for a major rebuild  

TLW

On 27/02/2021 at 06:34, VladimirIlyich said:

'We have no money to buy the players we need so I have to pretend I have the squad I want' is what he's really saying. I'm not sure why he's using 10 signings as a number but that will never happen anyway as it just makes things more difficult for players to gel. 

No my friend, the above are your words including 'is what he's saying.'

You're saying what he's saying is he has to 'pretend he has the squad he wants.' You seriously believe that?

Jurgen Klopp could walk into any top club in Europe if he thought he was being shortchanged by the owners.

14 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Why do you think that I think a great manager like Klopp is a shill? That's a stupid assumption and Klopp is far from a stupid man. Why do you always take things literally too? As Aventus??? said,Klopp is over exaggerating but I think he knows we need quality players yet is trying to play a straight bat and keep his own frustrations in check. I'd like to think he's really saying 'I dont need ten players and a rebuild but I do need 3 or 4 and I dont believe its unreasonable to need that.'

They are you're words mate. You said he has to 'pretend.'

On 28/02/2021 at 11:21, dockers_strike said:

No my friend, the above are your words including 'is what he's saying.'

You're saying what he's saying is he has to 'pretend he has the squad he wants.' You seriously believe that?

Jurgen Klopp could walk into any top club in Europe if he thought he was being shortchanged by the owners.

They are you're words mate. You said he has to 'pretend.'

Every manager does not speak every word he means in a press conference and I am simply stating my opinion of how Klopp is thinking at the moment. I have an opinion and you have an opinion,but its only you that is ever right. Maybe 'pretend' should be substituted with 'say' that he's happy even when he might not be. 

I'm not sure you understand how a forum works.

On 27/02/2021 at 04:45, TLW said:

Jurgen Klopp has rejected suggestions that this Liverpool team needs a rebuild.

The reigning Premier League champions are going through a significant loss in form in addition to having a crippling injury list which only increased this week when captain Jordan Henderson was ruled out for at least six weeks with a groin injury.

It is undeniable that this current squad has been superb over the past three seasons in their ability to win the big games and in terms of the league last season, leave everyone trailing in their wake.

But it is also natural that wear and tear comes into play, especially when you consider the amount of games these guys play both for club and country during a regular season, let alone a extremely compressed campaign that this one has been.

While naturally focusing on the present , Liverpool have been more than willing to cast an eye to the future by signing players that might need a bit of time to gain senior experience (like Harvey Elliott for instance) but who will be more than ready when they are called upon.

The forward contingent in particular have come under the microscope more than ever before and questions have been raised if the time has come to look at breaking up the World Class trio.

Mo Salah and Sadio Mane are 28 while Roberto Firmino is a year older. Diogo Jota was brought in for some extra competition and as well as being a bit younger than the aforementioned trio (24 yo), has been a superb addition to the squad.

Speaking to the press (via Sky Sports) ahead of tomorrow’s clash with Sheffield United, the manager understood the premise of the question but said now is the not the time.

Jurgen.Klopp1_.jpg

"Rebuild? No. What is 'rebuild' exactly? Rebuild means 10 out, 10 in? Changes to which XI?"

“I know what you mean but I don't think it is time for a massive rebuild like how I understand it: six, seven out, running contracts but trying to get rid of them and bring in all the new faces.

“The squad of this year didn't have the chance to play together one time really. I think it would make sense to have a look at that but on top of that, of course little readjustments will happen.

“Reacting on the situation but planning at the same time for the future and all these kinds of things.

"I am not sure we can do that in the summer but that is what we will try."

Liverpool are now well and truly out of the title race after collecting just seven points from a possible 33 since Boxing Day which has coincided with a imperious run of form  by Man City who are odds-on favourites to reclaim the league trophy. 

The manager now sees a top four place as a significant achievement considering what the team has been through in terms of form and loss of personnel.

“You can see the competitors. Look, it is not about the possible performance.

"The game we played against Leicester we lost, but the performance on the day was one with which the team usually wins.

"It is all about results. The table doesn't lie. Never. That is completely fine. We know that performance-wise we are not that far away, but results-wise we are.

"That is what we have to change and for all the different reasons that it was a difficult season so far for us.

“We try with all we have to sort it and while you try and sort one problem another problem occurs. That is in a season when it is not going perfect, obviously."

I reckon Klopp was pissed when he said that

Major rebuild - if not now - when?

6 or 7 out and even 4 in is a major rebuild. 

We had back to back seasons 4 years ago where 4 useful - in some cases not really - players came in (VvD, Mo, AoC, Robbo) (Alisson, Keita, Fabinho, Shaq) but we have never culled the herd to the level we will need to this summer.