You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GB News

Sugar Ape

16 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Half the audience will be the Little England crowd, and the other half will be people looking to take the piss out of segments on Twitter. Still a dangerous development though as it’s another platform for gobshitery.

The biggest problem is the lies they spread and they are getting another way to do it. the Daily Mail lies and they all lap it up, LBC they just lie and again its lapped up, the BBC Chief Political Correspondent lies and gets promoted, the Prime Minister lies and gets away with it while the media don't highlight anything about it. Everytime the government fucks up the DM etc run articles saying "Woke left try to ban Mary Poppins for being a nazi" or some bullshit soundbite lie and thats what they will lead with in the run up to any election. "Yes millions have lost their jobs, hundreds of thousands have died but look they want to ban the Twix because it depicts two black slaves in a bodybag!" 

Watched a bit of newsnight last night and that Carole Malone was on. She never stopped shouting and screaming and was seriously weird , not sure if she was pissed or is unhinged. The poor lad who was supposed to offer the opposite opinion in the main, looked genuinely embarrassed at her.

2 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Watched a bit of newsnight last night and that Carole Malone was on. She never stopped shouting and screaming and was seriously weird , not sure if she was pissed or is unhinged. The poor lad who was supposed to offer the opposite opinion in the main, looked genuinely embarrassed at her.

I seen her last night on the press review on Sky I think but might have been the BBC. Turned it off the second I saw she was on. 

• Upvote 1

It might have been that SA , the wife was flicking around the channels and stayed on it as they were discussing the Astrazeneca EU situation. Malone ended up causing me to argue with the mrs  , as the wife felt my fervent hope that Malone dies screaming in agony and preferably sooner than later, wasn't nice.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I saw that and to fair it looked more like a come and get me audition to Neil’s new station ...

Charlie Brooker still sums her up best 

“Carole Malone, so repugnant in print you want to climb inside the page and vomit ink down her eye sockets”

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Stickman said:

I saw that and to fair it looked more like a come and get me audition to Neil’s new station ...

Charlie Brooker still sums her up best 

“Carole Malone, so repugnant in print you want to climb inside the page and vomit ink down her eye sockets”

Superb. But yeah, I didn't see it but shes exactly the type of cunt who will now be extra outrageous to get some air-time and cash off that particular sadist venture. 

I still can't believe Johnson was allowed to get away with not going on Andrew Neil before the election. 

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Superb. But yeah, I didn't see it but shes exactly the type of cunt who will now be extra outrageous to get some air-time and cash off that particular sadist venture. 

I still can't believe Johnson was allowed to get away with not going on Andrew Neil before the election. 

I can’t believe Andrew Neil is so self important that he’d demand an interview...

Both cunts, cut from the very same cloth.

• Upvote 1

Looks like the stars are aligning...

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/jan/31/johnson-poised-to-appoint-paul-dacre-chair-of-ofcom

'For many who work in public service broadcasting, it is the nightmare that refuses to go away. Could Paul Dacre, former editor of the Daily Mail, really now have the chance to oversee the statutory regulation of British TV and telecommunications? The Brexiter and longtime bête noire of liberals and leftwingers is understood to be very close to being offered the influential role of chair of Ofcom.

According to Whitehall and media sources, Boris Johnson is preparing to announce the controversial appointment soon, and will later reward Dacre with a peerage. The remit will be to target the BBC.

“This is an appalling idea,” said one leading figure in British TV management. “A key role for Ofcom in the coming months will be focusing on improving the nation’s broadband, which is vital not just for business but for social inclusion. Dacre knows nothing about any of that.” He does, however, have one attribute likely to go down well with many in the media. Associates report that he maintains his long-held dislike of the big internet platforms. Organisations such as Google and Facebook have effectively destroyed the advertising market that supports the newspapers in his stable. The 72-year-old journalist is still editor in chief of Daily Mail Group, publisher of the right-leaning daily newspaper, and the Mail on Sunday, the London free title Metro and the MailOnline website, for which he is paid a large salary. Ofcom staff, in contrast, adopt political neutrality.

When Dacre’s candidacy for the Ofcom chair was first mooted at the end of last summer, many politicians, academics and television executives expressed great alarm. Former Labour minister Lord Adonis said back then that Dacre “demonstrably doesn’t believe in impartially and statutorily regulated media”, and therefore would be presiding over an institution he did not believe in. Although a date has not yet been set, the prime minister is believed to be hoping to announce the appointment quickly, but he is said to still be meeting some resistance within government circles. The permanent appointment to the role of Ofcom chair has been held open since early last year, when economist Lord Burns announced he was stepping down.

Burns is believed to have tussled with the prime minister over the appointment of a new Ofcom chief executive. Eventually he agreed to leave in order to get his own choice of Melanie Dawes. Dawes stepped across from her high-ranking civil service job in February last year. Announcing the move, Dawes, who is married to Benedict Brogan, political editor of the Daily Mail under Dacre, spoke of “a big agenda ahead”. That includes handling the most vulnerable moment in the BBC’s recent history. Johnson came to power with promises to seriously reform the basis on which the BBC operates. These plans were interrupted by the pandemic, but he has now set up a government panel to consider the future role of public service broadcasting.

Charles Moore, former editor of the Telegraph, was initially considered for the role of BBC chairman. In the Times earlier this month, journalist James Forsyth, husband of Downing Street spokesperson Allegra Stratton, wrote that Johnson had eventually agreed to appoint a less contentious BBC chairman in the shape of financier Richard Sharp, who will take up the job in the next few days. It is thought that, as consolation, the PM hopes to regain the support of anti-BBC Conservative backbenchers by making Dacre the figurehead of Ofcom.'

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Looks like the stars are aligning...

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/jan/31/johnson-poised-to-appoint-paul-dacre-chair-of-ofcom

'For many who work in public service broadcasting, it is the nightmare that refuses to go away. Could Paul Dacre, former editor of the Daily Mail, really now have the chance to oversee the statutory regulation of British TV and telecommunications? The Brexiter and longtime bête noire of liberals and leftwingers is understood to be very close to being offered the influential role of chair of Ofcom.

According to Whitehall and media sources, Boris Johnson is preparing to announce the controversial appointment soon, and will later reward Dacre with a peerage. The remit will be to target the BBC.

“This is an appalling idea,” said one leading figure in British TV management. “A key role for Ofcom in the coming months will be focusing on improving the nation’s broadband, which is vital not just for business but for social inclusion. Dacre knows nothing about any of that.” He does, however, have one attribute likely to go down well with many in the media. Associates report that he maintains his long-held dislike of the big internet platforms. Organisations such as Google and Facebook have effectively destroyed the advertising market that supports the newspapers in his stable. The 72-year-old journalist is still editor in chief of Daily Mail Group, publisher of the right-leaning daily newspaper, and the Mail on Sunday, the London free title Metro and the MailOnline website, for which he is paid a large salary. Ofcom staff, in contrast, adopt political neutrality.

When Dacre’s candidacy for the Ofcom chair was first mooted at the end of last summer, many politicians, academics and television executives expressed great alarm. Former Labour minister Lord Adonis said back then that Dacre “demonstrably doesn’t believe in impartially and statutorily regulated media”, and therefore would be presiding over an institution he did not believe in. Although a date has not yet been set, the prime minister is believed to be hoping to announce the appointment quickly, but he is said to still be meeting some resistance within government circles. The permanent appointment to the role of Ofcom chair has been held open since early last year, when economist Lord Burns announced he was stepping down.

Burns is believed to have tussled with the prime minister over the appointment of a new Ofcom chief executive. Eventually he agreed to leave in order to get his own choice of Melanie Dawes. Dawes stepped across from her high-ranking civil service job in February last year. Announcing the move, Dawes, who is married to Benedict Brogan, political editor of the Daily Mail under Dacre, spoke of “a big agenda ahead”. That includes handling the most vulnerable moment in the BBC’s recent history. Johnson came to power with promises to seriously reform the basis on which the BBC operates. These plans were interrupted by the pandemic, but he has now set up a government panel to consider the future role of public service broadcasting.

Charles Moore, former editor of the Telegraph, was initially considered for the role of BBC chairman. In the Times earlier this month, journalist James Forsyth, husband of Downing Street spokesperson Allegra Stratton, wrote that Johnson had eventually agreed to appoint a less contentious BBC chairman in the shape of financier Richard Sharp, who will take up the job in the next few days. It is thought that, as consolation, the PM hopes to regain the support of anti-BBC Conservative backbenchers by making Dacre the figurehead of Ofcom.'

Ah, there's nothing like a functioning democracy. And what we increasingly have is nothing like a functioning democracy. Cunts.

• Upvote 1

I think it has the potential to backfire, because they don’t have the same scope to tell outright lies as the US organisations do. That said, I guess we will see. I think it’ll get the ‘already think that way’ crowd. How much will it swing opinion remains to be seen. 

Starmer and his shadow cabinet want to get right in there though. Shying away and making an enemy would’ve a bad move for Labour. 

2 minutes ago, Numero said:

I think it has the potential to backfire, because they don’t have the same scope to tell outright lies as the US organisations do. That said, I guess we will see. I think it’ll get the ‘already think that way’ crowd. How much will it swing opinion remains to be seen. 

Starmer and his shadow cabinet want to get right in there though. Shying away and making an enemy would’ve a bad move for Labour. 

I would imagine appointing Dacre as the head regulator will allow the shift towards allowing outright lies before they change the regulations.

They will probably get some fuckwit* as the "voice of the left" to balance it out.

* Pick your person of choice.

10 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

I would imagine appointing Dacre as the head regulator will allow the shift towards allowing outright lies before they change the regulations.

They will probably get some fuckwit* as the "voice of the left" to balance it out.

Reckon Toby Young will be the voice of the left in comparison to what I expect on there.

18 minutes ago, Numero said:

They are apparently going to go down the ‘LBC’ route of impartiality, so rather than having two guests on a show from opposite sides of the spectrum, they’ll have all the guests on a show being right wing with a right wing host and balance that out by having a show from a left wing perspective, probably buried in a late night slot. 

Similar to LBC ‘balancing’ out having Nigel Farage and Katy Hopkins hosting shows by having James O’Brien on. 

14 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

I think it’ll be a mix of former Labour politicians like John Mann and that ilk and the likes of Aaron Bastani. The left wing grifter class. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sugar Ape said:

They are apparently going to go down the ‘LBC’ route of impartiality, so rather than having two guests on a show from opposite sides of the spectrum, they’ll have all the guests on a show being right wing with a right wing host and balance that out by having a show from a left wing perspective, probably buried in a late night slot. 

Similar to LBC ‘balancing’ out having Nigel Farage and Katy Hopkins hosting shows by having James O’Brien on. 

I think it’ll be a mix of former Labour politicians like John Mann and that ilk and the likes of Aaron Bastani. The left wing grifter class. 

I wouldn’t mind some balance. Some left wing stuff on TV would be fun. 

• Upvote 1