You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FC Midtylland 1 Liverpool 1 (Dec 9 2020)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

Well, I’m glad that game didn’t have anything riding on it. Last week I wrote about how refreshing that Ajax game was, in no small part due to VAR not sticking it’s big fucking beak in where it wasn’t wanted. It made up for it this week and then some.

Maybe they got the decisions right (I say maybe because I’m not totally convinced) but it effectively ruined yet another game as a viewing experience. It’s just fucking awful. Even Klopp is now saying he doesn't want it, and he was one of those in favour of it being introduced. He and everyone like him owe the rest of us an apology really. This should never have had the backing of anyone in football and I'm not using hindsight here as I was against it from the start.

I was actually enjoying this game up until the first VAR involvement. It was surprisingly decent and the first half was much better than I expected it to be. It helps that we were winning, I won’t deny that, but generally it was a decent game that flowed quite well. There was no hint of our players not being arsed about the result and they treated the game seriously.

The second half was brutal though. We didn’t play well and VAR dragged that half out at least 10 minutes longer than it needed to be. We came out on the wrong end of two decisions and the right end on one. I don’t even want to waste my time analysing the rights and wrongs of them as I don’t even know the rules anymore.

Luckily the result didn’t matter. With that in mind I was surprised to see Fabinho and Salah in the starting line up. I could understand the other senior lads who were in there, as Trent and Naby needed game time and Jota hasn’t exactly been ran into the ground so far. Personally I wouldn’t have played any of them but I reckon Kloppo just didn’t want to see us embarrassed on the European stage.

I get that to be fair to him, and I think the second half showed why he didn’t just send a load of kids over there. That being said though, Mo and Trent played 90 minutes, Fabinho played a half while Hendo, Robbo, Bobby and Sadio were also on the pitch at full time. I suspect Jurgen is going to have a hard time fielding questions the next time he complains about player fatigue.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• dave u pinned this topic

I was staggered when VAR had their goal disallowed for offside. I was staggered when VAR awarded a penno following what seemed a clear offside. I wasn't staggered when VAR denied Sadio what seemed a perfectly good goal, I knew - the minute it was announced as being under review. 

Also Dave, I wasn't happy with the ref. He started well, but as the game progressed it seemed like they were getting an awful lot of decisions that we generally weren't. 

Will somebody PLEASE tell Keita to just FUCKOFF? Nah, I'll do it. 

NABY. FUCK. OFF.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Code said:

This was only Salah’s 6th game since 4th of November, in two of those he only played 60 minutes.

He also got a two weeks rest from games from the 8th until the 25th.

I guess thats why he was picked, it makes a lot of sense to me.

427DC30C-73A2-4E49-99AA-DC1256B7E1D6.jpeg

Fair point, but I'd counter it with this.

He played a full game last weekend. He'll probably play a full game this weekend. Playing him a full game in between is maybe not the best move, especially when you've been so vocal about players having to play so much football.

Milner picked up an injury when playing his third game in six days. Not saying Mo will too, but if he did then the decision to play him in this game will look awful.

I don’t think he or anyone else who was in favour of VAR owes the rest an apology. They way it is being used is both a bag of shit and not as was intended. If you can’t trust a ref to look at a replay and get it right, then the problems go much deeper than VAR. if they have to check every single little thing other than clear and obvious, then it’s not as intended. I agree it’s absolute bollocks at the moment. It didn’t have to be like that and it doesn’t have to be like it in the future. It’s also swings and roundabouts. I don’t want to see wolves getting that pen last week any more than I want to see that clearly level goal at Everton ruled out. People say it takes the joy out of the game, and they are right. When every single little thing gets checked, it ruins everything. The counter argument is that when the ref fucks up it ruins a game. I don’t think we should baby/bath water this. 

• Upvote 2

Quick report, Dave, gives you  time to  work on the fanzine.

The game matters for at least one person, my son, who could not accept how poor we were in second half. I tried a joke as yours but I failed miserably.

I hate VAR as much as you do, but I think it was correct yesterday. Mané’ handball is obvious I think. But that was way too long, I couldn’t wait to go back to my cheese and wine meal.

There was a few players there that, clearly, needed the game - Trent, Naby, Tsimikas to name but 3. Thought Clarkson started well but faded. Rhys, on the other hand, has looked very promising in all of his appearances. Big, strong and good distribution. Talking of which, Kelleher has been praised for his distribution but it was poor last night.

But, who cares?

Coming first in the Group looks a little bit more important than it has in recent years. No team in the runners up section should be overly dangerous (as long as we have a keeper should we get Atletico).

8 hours ago, Numero said:

I don’t think he or anyone else who was in favour of VAR owes the rest an apology. They way it is being used is both a bag of shit and not as was intended. If you can’t trust a ref to look at a replay and get it right, then the problems go much deeper than VAR. if they have to check every single little thing other than clear and obvious, then it’s not as intended. I agree it’s absolute bollocks at the moment. It didn’t have to be like that and it doesn’t have to be like it in the future. It’s also swings and roundabouts. I don’t want to see wolves getting that pen last week any more than I want to see that clearly level goal at Everton ruled out. People say it takes the joy out of the game, and they are right. When every single little thing gets checked, it ruins everything. The counter argument is that when the ref fucks up it ruins a game. I don’t think we should baby/bath water this. 

I agree with everything you say about how it is being implemented now being a massive problem. My issue with it is that even if it was done correctly it would still ruin so many great moments and it stops people being able to completely lose it when celebrating goals.

It comes down to whether you think getting all of the decisions right (within reason) is worth killing the moment of celebrating a goal. Personally I don't think it is, I prefer how it was before.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, dave u said:

I agree with everything you say about how it is being implemented now being a massive problem. My issue with it is that even if it was done correctly it would still ruin so many great moments and it stops people being able to completely lose it when celebrating goals.

It comes down to whether you think getting all of the decisions right (within reason) is worth killing the moment of celebrating a goal. Personally I don't think it is, I prefer how it was before.

I think there must be a balance. I’m not sure where it is, but just giving the ref an iPad to look back at controversial decisions - like insane offsides and pens - would wipe out the big mistakes and stop this silly bullshit about some cunt in another part of the country arbitrarily drawing lines. 

I originally thought it might be good, to change those obviously unjust decisions, such as the Wolves penalty the other night. But it is a farce at the moment. They need to take it away, clarify some rules, and test it properly before we ever see it again in any form. I won't apologise for thinking it might be good, as it could and should have been, but I totally agree it has to go.

• dave u unpinned this topic