You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Halsey: Referee standards have dropped to alarming levels  

TLW

2 minutes ago, dave u said:

So you think none of that happens because VAR is here to save us all from their corruption?

No I think VAR shines a light on how utterly shit they are.

Get rid of it standards will plummet.

If that's possible.

1 minute ago, Dicko said:

What makes you say that.

Have you actually seen some of the decisions they haven't given.

Fair point, I'll rephrase it. The Hand of God would definitely have been disallowed and the second one might have been, depending on which officials were working it and what outcome they wanted.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Dicko said:

No I think VAR shines a light on how utterly shit they are.

Get rid of it standards will plummet.

If that's possible.

Shines a light on it to what end though? I'm not disagreeing with you for the most part, I just don't think anything will happen whether VAR is there or not, so I'd just rather it wasn't there and it went back to the way it was, when at least we could kid ourselves that refs were making mistakes rather than deliberately influencing the outcome of games. 

4 minutes ago, Reckoner said:

Yeah VAR would never miss blatant handballs in the box!

Not when it's an attacker they don't. If there's even a hint of a brush against a bicep it's disallowed. Defenders can play basketball if they like and it's in the lap of the gods whether it will be given or not. Attackers don't get that kind of leeway.

Just now, dave u said:

Fair point, I'll rephrase it. The Hand of God would definitely have been disallowed and the second one might have been, depending on which officials were working it and what outcome they wanted.

Unless it was clear & Obvious I think, I may be wrong with handball.

4 minutes ago, dave u said:

Shines a light on it to what end though? I'm not disagreeing with you for the most part, I just don't think anything will happen whether VAR is there or not, so I'd just rather it wasn't there and it went back to the way it was, when at least we could kid ourselves that refs were making mistakes rather than deliberately influencing the outcome of games. 

I think It will end up being one decision too many from them.

It will have to be us or Utd though no other clubs have the power.

It will go one of two ways though.

1) VAR goes.

2) PGMOL goes

I want to celebrate when the ball hits the net. I want to scream. I want to hug my best mate. I want to sing.

I can do that with shit refs. I can't do it with VAR.

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, Jennings said:

I want to celebrate when the ball hits the net. I want to scream. I want to hug my best mate. I want to sing.

I was out with a couple of my mates who support Ipswich on Tuesday watching them against Coventry. I was envious of watching them celebrate goals. VAR hasn't ruined it for them yet. Each goal I watched, even though there's no VAR, my reaction was "is there anything there that can let them rule it out". Even as an almost neutral (I wanted Ipswich to win), my enjoyment of the goals was spoilt. 

39 minutes ago, dave u said:

Not when it's an attacker they don't. If there's even a hint of a brush against a bicep it's disallowed. Defenders can play basketball if they like and it's in the lap of the gods whether it will be given or not. Attackers don't get that kind of leeway.

True. And disallowed after a wait of 5 minutes with nobody knowing what the hell is going on.

Saw that “increased accuracy” thing around the end of last season too. Guess who measured it? An independent panel? Haha as if.

The other thing is that it only measures decisions that were definitely wrong, out of total decisions made. If you give nothing at all, also called “doing an Anthony Taylor”, there’s nothing to compare against, so you’ll look amazing on that measure.

And there lies the problem, too many 'influencial' people with a fiscal agenda who have no desire to highlight how shit everything actually is in case they lose their access to the honey pot. Instead of collectively questioning the constant reams of shit that their eyes are showing them, coupled with the bollocks that is then spouted defending all the shit, they repeat the mantra that everything is all right and not one single person is held responsible for the corruption/fuck ups (delete as appropriate) that affect league titles and cups.

There are numerous things that can change for the better whether it's the removal of VAR, a change of leadership at PGMOL, independent VAR operators, no Dubai jollies etc. and these are all totally obvious to any fair minded fan. Unfortunately money talks and the likes of the chuckle brothers at Sky, the prem itself or the media mafia won't allow change as it affects them directly.

Football is a cunt sport now, nothing more.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Sut said:

I read that yesterday and nearly spat my cornflakes out at this claim … ‘According to mid-season statistics shared by the Premier League’s chief football officer, Tony Scholes, standards have never been higher. “Before VAR 82% of the decisions made were deemed to be ­correct,” Scholes said. “In the season so far, that ­figure is 96%.”  According to mid-season statistics shared by the Premier League’s chief football officer, Tony Scholes, standards have never been higher. “Before VAR 82% of the decisions made were deemed to be ­correct,” Scholes said. “In the season so far, that ­figure is 96%.” 

96% ,my arse

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, dave u said:

Not with PGMOL it wouldn't.

3 hours ago, joe_fishfish said:

Saw that “increased accuracy” thing around the end of last season too. Guess who measured it? An independent panel? Haha as if.

The other thing is that it only measures decisions that were definitely wrong, out of total decisions made. If you give nothing at all, also called “doing an Anthony Taylor”, there’s nothing to compare against, so you’ll look amazing on that measure.

Good point. Also how do you measure a decision as ‘correct’ if Webb is looking at it on TV and lying a few days later?

Statistics like that are ambiguous.

1 hour ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

Not with PGMOL it wouldn't.

Show me one goal this season where an attacker has scored by using his hand. I can show you several where goals have been disallowed for the faintest brush of an arm, let alone a deliberate handball.

It's the one area where there's absolutely no grey area, even though there should be.

The beauty of Arsenal benefitting from outrageous ref/VAR calls is that they can divert attention  away from everything falling into place to help 115FC.

We see you, you bent cunts.

On 03/05/2024 at 21:58, Jennings said:

Yes you can, you can even do it twice. 

Around the 30th minute Tierney gave an offisde against Diaz, it was really tight but Tierney puts his arm up, then pulls it down and when it's cleared the lino puts up his flag and Tierneys arm goes up again. Really fucking strange stuff, something I've seen Taylor do in recent weeks as well. I've reached the conclusion he's just shit, a couple of blindingly obvious decisions he got wrong against both teams. 

22 hours ago, Code said:

Yes you can, you can even do it twice. 

Can you? Every time a goal goes in now there is a nagging feeling in the back of your mind that it may be ruled out. Follow that up with the heart-sinking announcement of "VAR check" and it removes all the good feeling from scoring. When VAR eventually does make a ruling, the moment is gone and the second "celebration" is more relief than enjoyment.

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, CrownPaints said:

Can you? Every time a goal goes in now there is a nagging feeling in the back of your mind that it may be ruled out. Follow that up with the heart-sinking announcement of "VAR check" and it removes all the good feeling from scoring. When VAR eventually does make a ruling, the moment is gone and the second "celebration" is more relief than enjoyment.

Nah, just celebrate when the ball hits the back of the net, then celebrate again when VAR confirm the goal.

56 minutes ago, Code said:

Nah, just celebrate when the ball hits the back of the net, then celebrate again when VAR confirm the goal.

Fair play to you for not getting deflated when the VAR screen goes up.