You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Lord of the Rings

Lee909

I'd love, sometime in the near future, if they did a chapter by chapter tv series of the 3 books.

As faithful to the books as possible. You could easily get an hours worth of tv per chapter, and quite a bit more if we're honest.

Back in 97, when Jackson pitched the idea, it was for 2 movies instead of 3. Thank fuck they realised and agreed to fund the 3 as to have rushed it would've ruined it.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, niallers said:

I'd love, sometime in the near future, if they did a chapter by chapter tv series of the 3 books.

As faithful to the books as possible. You could easily get an hours worth of tv per chapter, and quite a bit more if we're honest.

Back in 97, when Jackson pitched the idea, it was for 2 movies instead of 3. Thank fuck they realised and agreed to fund the 3 as to have rushed it would've ruined it.

It would get cancelled for being boring. Especially the start. It takes 9 chapters around 6 hours of audiobook just to get to Brie. It's 2:45 mins of audiobook from the moment Frodo wakes in Rivendell to the party leaving. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lee909 said:

It would get cancelled for being boring. Especially the start. It takes 9 chapters around 6 hours of audiobook just to get to Brie. It's 2:45 mins of audiobook from the moment Frodo wakes in Rivendell to the party leaving. 

True, but they could inter mix events that happen at the same time and shorten the time it takes to get out the shire.

In any case, there's 60 plus chapters to utilise so they'd get 6 seasons out of it at least.

Where's a mad billionaire when you need one to finance crazy tv ideas

Just finished the second one. Again, marvellous pieces of filmmaking. The only downside for me really (and it's fashionable to knock him even though he just played what he was given) was Orlando Bloom. Legolas has literally no arc through these films. He just performs superhuman feats from the off, never struggles with anything, and comes across as a proto-Rey.

On 29/02/2024 at 20:11, Mudface said:

Stirring stuff.

I burst out crying during this scene at the cinema. The sheer emotion of the previous 3 years and 2 films just utterly overtook me.

Stunning, stunning filmmaking

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Sut said:

Just finished the second one. Again, marvellous pieces of filmmaking. The only downside for me really (and it's fashionable to knock him even though he just played what he was given) was Orlando Bloom. Legolas has literally no arc through these films. He just performs superhuman feats from the off, never struggles with anything, and comes across as a proto-Rey.

I disagree. He was a character who knew nothing of the outside world, he didn't know death and hated dwarves. By the end he understood so much more and was best friends with Gimli.

13 hours ago, Sut said:

That’s pretty much how Tolkien wrote them though isn’t it? Elves are fucking badass awesome, immortal, arrogant and think all other races are beneath them.

• 4 weeks later...
On 01/03/2024 at 13:35, Lee909 said:

Early on we get a POV from a fox. The way the book evolved in the writing is fascinating in itself.