You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cancel Culture

aRdja

49 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Come on, a supermarket saying ‘if you’re racist don’t come in here’ is pretty transparent.  Have a look how many people have since said they’ve shopped at Sainsbury’s on the back of it. What did they actually expect to happen, all the Brexiteers going to Asda. The perceived wisdom is that a lot of Brexiteers are racist, so if say sales dropped 10% what do you think would happen? 

I have no doubt it was calculated move by Sainsburys based on reputation/profits but him saying he is "boycotting" over it, added to the list of other stuff he has rattled off lately opens the door for people to assume he is racist as far as I'm concerned.

2 minutes ago, Pidge said:

His view is bad. A bad view, in full.

I think so.  Doesn’t make him a racist. 

Also Sainsbury’s efforts on this noble cause they got excited about seem to be a webpage and chat group.  Not exactly Malcolm X. 

I think both are motivated purely by cash.  

I don't see why it's that relevant that Sainsbury's want to promote themselves as a progressive employer. It is important both to staff retention and customer perception (Nunwood pillars prob driving that more than any detailed analysis).

It being a gesture, doesn't mean it's worthless.

12 minutes ago, Pidge said:

I don't see why it's that relevant that Sainsbury's want to promote themselves as a progressive employer. It is important both to staff retention and customer perception (Nunwood pillars prob driving that more than any detailed analysis).

It being a gesture, doesn't mean it's worthless.

So is calling it out racist?  I don’t think so.  Remember he’s fronting a party with free speech at its centre so calling him racist for saying it is posturing is kind of exactly what he was aiming for. All part of the grift. 

Plus, as I said their majority shareholders are Qatari government businesses.  It’s a bit hypocritical. 

Just now, Rico1304 said:

So is calling it out racist?  I don’t think so.  Remember he’s fronting a party with free speech at its centre so calling him racist for saying it is posturing is kind of exactly what he was aiming for. All part of the grift. 

Plus, as I said their majority shareholders are Qatari government businesses.  It’s a bit hypocritical. 

No, and that a straw man argument. I haven't said that's the case, nor is it the sole reason why someone would perceive him as a racist.

I haven't seen him articulate any of these points in the twitter exchange at the heart of this and, frankly, couldn't care less about what else he's had to say on the matter.

Its also not hypocritical at all, they are a publicly traded organisation. They are not beholden to a single shareholder, unless that shareholder is explicitly voting against the position. Which would be a good way to shitcan the value.

19 minutes ago, Pidge said:

No, and that a straw man argument. I haven't said that's the case, nor is it the sole reason why someone would perceive him as a racist.

I haven't seen him articulate any of these points in the twitter exchange at the heart of this and, frankly, couldn't care less about what else he's had to say on the matter.

Its also not hypocritical at all, they are a publicly traded organisation. They are not beholden to a single shareholder, unless that shareholder is explicitly voting against the position. Which would be a good way to shitcan the value.

I haven’t said that, I asked you a question.  From the limited amount I’ve been arsed to google he’s got shit for exactly that argument. 

Fair enough, no point discussing it further.  

You make some fair points Rico. The problem is that racism is more prevelant now than it was 10 years ago, even 5 years ago in the Uk. Hate crime has increased in football by 45% in the last 3 years for example. Brexit absolutely has unlocked the door for people to act the racist scumbag especially with the likes of Farage and the Daily Mail creating an us vs them mentality. This odious cunt is hijacking that movement knowing it will make him money. Doesn't make him less racist though. 

On 06/10/2020 at 09:39, Rico1304 said:

Then he needs to be able to back it up. Which I think he’ll find hard.  

Fox is a grifter, he seems to be trying to fill the Hopkins void. But every now and again he does have a point. Stopped clock I suppose.  

Nah.

Sainsbury’s say "everyone welcome except racists". Fox says that that "promotes racial segregation". Fox's "point" only makes sense if you also believe that one ethnic group is inherently racist; which is, of course, racist.

He's a dickhead.  

I thought at first that Sainsbury's tweet was a reply to Fox, did all this boycott furore start with it  or was S's announcement a reply to something else?

If it wasn't it is a bit strange in tone, when you analyze it. I thought the Black History Month was quite routine stuff, at least in the US, not something a chain store needs to preempt reactions to.  It's a bit like an art cinema announcing a retrospective of American black films of the 60s and 70s adding if you don't like it, you are a racists and go watch films somewhere else. A bit bizarre. When you click on the link Fox provided you see that it is just what you would expect from a commercial organization on race issues, blah blah blah, self promotion, here are some of our employees, pay gap addressed maybe later in the year. Why is there a pay gap, BTW?

58 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Nah.

Sainsbury’s say "everyone welcome except racists". Fox says that that "promotes racial segregation". Fox's "point" only makes sense if you also believe that one ethnic group is inherently racist; which is, of course, racist.

He's a dickhead.  

Sainsbury’s promote critical race theory to staff. That states every white person is racist. You don’t seem to be racist to me, but Sainsbury’s thinks you are.  

6 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Hmm....

That's not true though.

They recommended the book White Fragility to staff. Here’s what it says ‘ ‘a positive white identity is an impossible goal. White identity is inherently racist. White people do not exist outside of the system of white supremacy’.

19 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Any context to that passage?

With context the quote makes sense.

I read the book a while back and it’s about systems being created by white people for white people, consciously or unconsciously, which exclude others. This leads to a sense of superiority, perceived or imperceptible, that ‘I’, a white person, is better as I seem to be getting along better than ‘them’, because of the inherited bias of the existing systems which we ignore.

‘We’ created the world for us and feel superior as the system is set up for white supremacy, not in the more severe form you’re thinking of, but the system is inherently bias and in some cases racist. So white supremacy is achieved and we live within that system, either by accident or design.

The way to escape this cycle is to first accept it.

The books really interesting.