You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

10 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Interesting read regarding the Santa Clara study carried out by Stanford Uni and published in Nature, which was very widely reported but seems to be dubious.  Other nerds are very sceptical of its findings and are even demanding an apology from its authors. 

https://www.ocregister.com/2020/04/20/feud-over-stanford-coronavirus-study-the-authors-owe-us-all-an-apology/

The Santa Clara study was notable why? I have never heard of it.

15 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Medical advisers have been accused of lying to the British public about the coronavirus pandemic to prop up the government.

Richard Horton, the editor of medical journal The Lancet, criticised the government’s advisers, accused them of telling “manifest untruths”.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coronavirus/coronavirus-government-advisers-lying-to-support-regime-with-collapsing-credibility-says-lancet-editor/ar-BB12UmAC?fbclid=IwAR06lBLbtVNMJ6ulpf2hY3LYcG09ak9sAdsj2ABAF2A9uJC5iZsqBA8NFzg

Quelle surprise. 

10 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

The Santa Clara study was notable why? I have never heard of it.

They said that infections were likely 50-85 times higher in the community than official figures indicated, but the methodology was flawed and it seems that the authors had an agenda.  It attracted a lot of attention due to being published in Nature and because of the gravitas of Stanford Uni.

1 hour ago, Spy Bee said:

And this latest information, shows that deaths did peak on April 8th

What do you actually dispute with this theory, or is criticising the source all you have?

I’ll dispute the theory, Australia locked down earlier, blocked flights from China earlier, we have a fuckload less deaths, considering a greater density of Asian population, much closer business links etc, uk screwed the pooch, no getting away from it. 

1 minute ago, Audrey Witherspoon said:

I’ll dispute the theory, Australia locked down earlier, blocked flights from China earlier, we have a fuckload less deaths, considering a greater density of Asian population, much closer business links etc, uk screwed the pooch, no getting away from it. 

I've noticed that there was much more praise for New Zealand than Australia on my social media feed, despite numbers being pretty much tha same. But, alas, no Jacinda.

3 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I've noticed that there was much more praise for New Zealand than Australia on my social media feed, despite numbers being pretty much tha same. But, alas, no Jacinda.

I saw a headline in the guardian I think it was which said all the countries handling it the best had women leaders. What a bizarre narrative. 

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I saw a headline in the guardian I think it was which said all the countries handling it the best had women leaders. What a bizarre narrative. 

Is it not possible there's an element of truth? 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Moo said:

Is it not possible there's an element of truth? 

Surely the assumption itself is sexist? Is the new Zealand leader a good leader because she's just a good leader? Or is it because she is a woman with a mother's heart, can multitask and doesn't have to mansplain.

Hilary Clinton kept coming out with shite like that when she lost the election, "I hope all the little girls will keep trying and believe that one day too they can become one of the most hawkish warmongering secretaries of state the United states has ever seen."

Let's also conveniently forget Thatcher and May were a pair of total cunts, as is the former heroine of all bbc media luvvies whose name I can never spell, ang sang soo chi.

12 minutes ago, SasaS said:

In Australia the state governments are running the show. Dan Andrews in particular is doing a sterling job.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Got some dust in my eye...

Kia astonishingly is only 17. How amazing both of them are.

Brilliant message at the end of the clip from him.

Great arnt they. As someone said a bit up the thread you got all these annoying celebs trying to stay relevant but it's the public who shine above them all, like the poor girl in video below who lost her dad to the virus  ,what a wonderful kid 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-52344678/coronavirus-we-woke-up-in-the-morning-and-he-was-gone

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

Surely the assumption itself is sexist? Is the new Zealand leader a good leader because she's just a good leader? Or is it because she is a woman with a mother's heart, can multitask and doesn't have to mansplain.

I didn't see the article, is that what it said? 

I don't think it's sexist to suggest that it's a good thing that young women have role models they can look up to, especially in areas of life that are usually male dominated. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Moo said:

I didn't see the article, is that what it said? 

I don't think it's sexist to suggest that it's a good thing that young women have role models they can look up to, especially in areas of life that are usually male dominated. 

Surely it is sexist to suggest that someone is doing a great job, purely based on their sex? Male or female.

31 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Māori cultural advisor Karaitiana Taiuru says the haka is "absolutely offensive and degrading".

"There is no reasonable excuse why any semi-educated person with access to the internet, from anywhere in the world, to not know that mocking another person's culture is offensive," Taiuru says.

Get over yourself, for fuck sake.

4 minutes ago, Lario said:

Māori cultural advisor Karaitiana Taiuru says the haka is "absolutely offensive and degrading".

"There is no reasonable excuse why any semi-educated person with access to the internet, from anywhere in the world, to not know that mocking another person's culture is offensive," Taiuru says.

Get over yourself, for fuck 

Utter bollocks like this is commonplace here. The race card is fucking worn out. I don't pay much mind to it now.

• Upvote 1

That cushion story is genuinely heartwarming. Lovely gesture by the young girl. 

Not so lovely is the ONS claiming that the actual UK coronavirus death toll is 41% higher than the hospital only figures. The hossie only figures were bad enough. This additional figure is damning. 

There needs to be accountability. They've got something badly, badly wrong.