You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How much do you spend on food each week?

How much per week?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. How much per week?

• £10-£20
    • £21-£30
    • £31-£40
    • £41-£50
    • £51-£60
    • £61-£70
    • £71-£80
    • £81-£90
    • £91-£100
    • £100+

Just having a discussion with a mate and was amazed to learn that him, his missus and his stepson of 15 spend upwards of £100 a week on food, they do 2 "big shops" and ad hoc trips to the shops during the week. 

On average for 2 adults and a toddler, taking into account packed lunches for everyone I reckon my average spend if between £40-£50 for a big shop and possible a top up of milk and salad stuffs during the week so another £10 maybe.  It's more if I need to stock up on oils, vinegar etc but 50-60 I would say is my average.  That's shopping primarily in Aldi/Lidl with some Sainsburys bits thrown in. 

I have a good spice selection established and usually have a few herbs growing.  I make my own bread  and we cook from scratch virtually every night.   I think I'd be wolfing tiger prawns stuffed with Lobster spending £100 a week.  

Just having a discussion with a mate and was amazed to learn that him, his missus and his stepson of 15 spend upwards of £100 a week on food, they do 2 "big shops" and ad hoc trips to the shops during the week.

On average for 2 adults and a toddler, taking into account packed lunches for everyone I reckon my average spend if between £40-£50 for a big shop and possible a top up of milk and salad stuffs during the week so another £10 maybe. It's more if I need to stock up on oils, vinegar etc but 50-60 I would say is my average. That's shopping primarily in Aldi/Lidl with some Sainsburys bits thrown in.

I have a good spice selection established and usually have a few herbs growing. I make my own bread and we cook from scratch virtually every night. I think I'd be wolfing tiger prawns stuffed with Lobster spending £100 a week.

Just food or does this include drink, toiletries and cleaning stuff too?

Our shopping bill can vary wildly depending on what non-food stuff we’re low on, but food and drinks alone I’d estimate probably £70-£80 p/w.

She’s just started cooking all the Slimming World recipes again after months and months of regular meals like spag bol, corned beef hash, etc, so all our spices that had gone off are in the process of being replaced. We’ve got a little bit of freezer space left to empty out and then we’re gonna get a meat order from that Muscle Foods so that should see the cost of the weekly shop come down a bit.

I love it when she’s on a diet though. Trying boss new food every day and her and the kids have tiny portions so I end up eating like a king.

About

Similar to us. 4 adults and a cat.

4 adults. No cat. Probably about £100. That's £25 a week each for one of life's great pleasures which seems pretty good to me.

And when it costs about that much for us to go for one meal out I think it's pretty amazing really

• Upvote 1

About

4 adults. No cat. Probably about £100. That's £25 a week each for one of life's great pleasures which seems pretty good to me.

And when it costs about that much for us to go for one meal out I think it's pretty amazing really

I agree, eating well, a few ready meals here and there do no real harm, the odd takeaway.

It’s hard to fully quantify. We do a big shop at Aldi every week that is usually between £80 and £90 for two/three (Jr is 16) adults and a 13 year old. However that includes booze and household stuff too, so the food element is about fifty to sixty quid. However we often get a takeaway or M&S ready meal on a Friday night for about £25. Throw in an occasional coffee when out and maybe one meal out a month and the cost soars. I don’t think we’re extravagant in any way (although I accept we’re nowhere near the breadline either) but it still costs loads. In short, modern life is a fucking rip off.

It’s hard to fully quantify. We do a big shop at Aldi every week that is usually between £80 and £90 for two/three (Jr is 16) adults and a 13 year old. However that includes booze and household stuff too, so the food element is about fifty to sixty quid. However we often get a takeaway or M&S ready meal on a Friday night for about £25. Throw in an occasional coffee when out and maybe one meal out a month and the cost soars. I don’t think we’re extravagant in any way (although I accept we’re nowhere near the breadline either) but it still costs loads. In short, modern life is a fucking rip off.

It all adds up but why do you say 'rip off'

Having said that I bought a black coffee at King's Cross on Sunday evening and was charged £2. 99. That seemed like a lot of money and I doubt much of it went on staff wages

It all adds up but why do you say 'rip off'

Having said that I bought a black coffee at King's Cross on Sunday evening and was charged £2. 99. That seemed like a lot of money and I doubt much of it went on staff wages

Because I think it’s a huge amount of money for a less than extravagant lifestyle. On paper Mrs Paul and I have a very good income. However, at the end of every month there’s nothing left and little to show for it.
  • Upvote 1

That's £25 a week each for one of life's great pleasures which seems pretty good to me.

Not for me at all. If I didn't have to eat I wouldn't bother. 

My Mrs loves food (she's not a fatty btw) and hates that I'm really not interested in it.