You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kate Beckinsale

JohnnyH

No, it’s not about preference, it’s about body shaming women who are in very good physical health by calling them malnourished. She is not, as a matter of fact, malnourished; that much is obvious. You like bigger women, that fine (although your inference that Kate Bekinsale isn’t a real women is pretty grim), but that’s not the same as talking about malnourishment. It’s as annoying as if every time I see a picture of Kelly Brooke I start calling her clinically obese and likely to be dead by 50. Mostly because it would be bollocks.

Who is shaming women? Kate Beckinsale is very pretty but I am very concerned that her body shape is being used to persuade pubescent teenage girls that hers is the kind of look that you should aim for when you are doing exams or shop work and trying to make ends meet. That is how these photos are often used rather than 'This is Kate Beckinsale whose whole existence is based on her looks and acting ability. She spends 24 hours a day focused on how she looks because she is very wealthy and can employ people to do the menial tasks 99% of the general population must do each day.'

And let's face it, you pass women (or men if you prefer men) in public and you experience attraction, and you don't know them.

Yeah, we've all been there.  Personally I'm making an effort to adjust my own behaviour so that it's not as, I dunno, pervy.  I like a good perve but have come to appreciate the effect it has on the recipient.  Are they comfortable with me ogling at them on the train?  Don't they just want to enjoy their train journey without me staring at their tits?  That kind of thing.

Who is shaming women? Kate Beckinsale is very pretty but I am very concerned that her body shape is being used to persuade pubescent teenage girls that hers is the kind of look that you should aim for when you are doing exams or shop work and trying to make ends meet. That is how these photos are often used rather than 'This is Kate Beckinsale whose whole existence is based on her looks and acting ability. She spends 24 hours a day focused on how she looks because she is very wealthy and can employ people to do the menial tasks 99% of the general population must do each day.'

Mate, what on Earth are you talking about? She’s perfectly healthy, probably more so than the “real” women with curves that you like. People working in a shop can’t be fit, now?

Yes, but none of us know Kate Beckinsale, so we can only appreciate her beauty at this point. How is that mysoginistic. Mysoginy is hatred of women in general.

Misogyny can take different forms, no?  Subtle, blatant, whatever.  If all you can appreciate is how someone looks, that could be interpreted (in my opinion) as thinly veiled misogyny.  

Yeah, we've all been there. Personally I'm making an effort to adjust my own behaviour so that it's not as, I dunno, pervy. I like a good perve but have come to appreciate the effect it has on the recipient. Are they comfortable with me ogling at them on the train? Don't they just want to enjoy their train journey without me staring at their tits? That kind of thing.

I'm talking about passing somebody in the street. Not sitting staring at them like a serial killer on the bus. You do realise women check men out as well, don't you?

Edit: Anyway, I'm out. I think you're off the piste on this one, mate.

I'm talking about passing somebody in the street. Not sitting staring at them like a serial killer on the bus. You do realise women check men out as well, don't you?

Edit: Anyway, I'm out. I think you're off the piste on this one, mate.

Maybe people want to walk down the street without you and other passers by perving at them, have you considered that?

Maybe people want to walk down the street without you and other passers by perving at them, have you considered that?

Have you considered that glancing someone is not perching at them, nor will they know if you think they are attractive. Desperate, desperate stuff here from you, TK.

Have you considered that glancing someone is not perching at them, nor will they know if you think they are attractive. Desperate, desperate stuff here from you, TK.

Yes, I have considered it.  I don't walk around avoiding looking at people. 

I've just become a bit more considered in how I behave when it comes to this sort of thing.  Be the change you want to see in the world, etc.