You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2018 Transfer Thread

Anubis

What if the Football Manager scenario happens and we win the league, FA Cup and Champions League and then slap 350k a week on the table. Would he stay?

I don't think it's much to do with us, what we are paying, what we are winning, etc. I think it's that he wants to play for Barca. Brazilian, isn't he.

Liverpool are open to making signings to “strengthen the squad” in January, according to their chief executive.

The Reds signed four players in the summer, and now sit fourth in the Premier League table, having finished top of their Champions League group.

Naby Keita will be arriving next year, but Jurgen Klopp may consider some winter signings to help the squad maintain their form.

Chief executive Peter Moore suggests that remains a possibility.

“The chemistry we bring on to the field isn’t about buying the most expensive players,” he told Sky Sports.

“We haven’t been shy, people look at the Mohamed Salah acquisition as the best one of the summer and we’re already bringing in Naby Keita next summer [from RB Leipzig].

“That money has been spent, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain has also been brought in.

“The investments are being made and it’s hard to knock what you’re seeing on the field now and say ‘oh you should be spending more money.’

“What I will say, because I know you are leading up to the question about January, the club continues to look at acquisitions that will strengthen the squad.”

Liverpool are open to making signings to “strengthen the squad” in January, according to their chief executive.

The Reds signed four players in the summer, and now sit fourth in the Premier League table, having finished top of their Champions League group.

Naby Keita will be arriving next year, but Jurgen Klopp may consider some winter signings to help the squad maintain their form.

Chief executive Peter Moore suggests that remains a possibility.

“The chemistry we bring on to the field isn’t about buying the most expensive players,” he told Sky Sports.

“We haven’t been shy, people look at the Mohamed Salah acquisition as the best one of the summer and we’re already bringing in Naby Keita next summer [from RB Leipzig].

“That money has been spent, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain has also been brought in.

“The investments are being made and it’s hard to knock what you’re seeing on the field now and say ‘oh you should be spending more money.’

“What I will say, because I know you are leading up to the question about January, the club continues to look at acquisitions that will strengthen the squad.”

Not a coincidence though, that Coutinho aside, it's largely the expensive acquisitions that are doing the business.

INGS WANTED BY SEVERAL CLUBS

Let’s get back to reality for a moment, and a striker that really could be making a move to a non-elite Premier League club. Less Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and more Danny Ings.

Danny Ings is wanted by West Ham, Crystal Palace, Stoke City and Newcastle in January. Given that he has not started a Premier League game since October 2015 despite getting himself fit again, he has to leave

Jurgen Klopp has talked up Ings’ attitude and said that he can be an important player for Liverpool, but that’s a fantasy. Even if Klopp lost Daniel Sturridge, Roberto Firmino and Mohamed Salah to injury, he could pick a front three of Sadio Mane, Philippe Coutinho and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Ings might not even get on the bench ahead of Dominic Solanke.

Still, Ings would be an excellent six-month loan option with a view to a permanent summer move. Newcastle would be excellent, but what about Southampton eh

Ings plus £50M for VVD would be nice.

The problem with a loan deal for Ings is he might well break down again. But if not, in this market he’s well worth £20M, even more, if he starts playing again.

You love a cash + player suggestion!

They always make sense but rarely happen in the real world I’m afraid.

• Upvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke

Liverpool, Manchester United and Tottenham are interested in Augsburg left-back Philipp Max.

I hope the mancs or Spurs outbid us, he isn't that good imo. 

Pair of first choice centre backs has to be the priority doesn't it? Matip can't stay fit and isn't wonderful anyway. Klavan is shockingly weak for a Premier League centre back, and neither of them win aerial duels consistently enough. Bring in two top class centre backs to form a solid partnership, with Matip covering them and Gomez covering right back and centre back, and suddenly we look ten times better off.

I'm not talking about Lovren because I don't think I can face seeing him in a red shirt ever again.