You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2018 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Worth mentioning Salah who looked out of his depth during his stint for Chelsea and now he’s obviously killin it here.

He really wasn't bad at all. He scored a couple of goals, provided a couple of assists and then left. He ripped Arsenal a new one when he came on in the 6-0.

I don't really agree that the person in front of the back four has to be athletic.

I think, in this league, at least one of them has to have that string to their bow. They need to be all the things you said and more, but we've seen how difficult teams with this type of midfielder are to break down. I think having a 'rock' in 'the engine room' is worth precisely one fuck ton of points per season. For me, a player like that converts a good defence into a brilliant one, and a good midfield into one that can flow forward because they have an escape plan.

That's not to say we don't need the other attributes. I'm very unhappy with our midfield as it is, so I think there's definitely room for two players, one with a bit more finesse and one with power and the ability to break up the opponents play.

• Upvote 1

Kante delivered two titles in successive years - Matic completely changed Utd. Fernandinho allows City's midifield to function with Silva and DeBruyne - both very attack minded players - not what I would consider box to box.

All couldn't be any more different physically but the importance of very top quality in that position is obvious. 

The teams below them (Arse, Us, Spurs) do not have that presence in that part of the pitch.

Nzonzi's been absolute class since he went to Spain. Real kudos to the Sevilla scouts for figuring out that he was in fact not a donkey despite previously playing for Stoke and Blackburn.

Over on the MF the other day I pointed out some bad suggestions (amongst some decent ones!) I made for possible signings in the past, so thought I would redress that with what I think was a good one...

Thought N'Zonzi looked decent last night. I think we need a player like him (although would prefer better), but if we manage to get a top attacking right midfielder and a striker, and are strapped for cash after that and they get relegated, he could be cheap at least.

I was always impressed whenever I saw him for Blackburn, thought he looked more skillful than the team/tactics allowed him to be. Went to Stoke for £3m that summer!

• Upvote 1

Although I couldn't pick him out in an ID parade until he spoke about us the other week, that Rabiot for PSG would be great for us in midfield. His use of the ball is superb and rather than buying a limited DM, id prefer us to get a controlling centre mid who knows how to run the tempo of a game.

I like the idea of the old Juve model, the genius sitting in behind two box to box players who can tackle, create and score.

Keita is the African Vidal, we should get the African Pirlo as well.

Or go for the African Alonso sitting behind two African Gerrards. That would work.

Doesn't really fit into any of the profiles you mentioned, but Wilf Ndidi is a really impressive African midfielder. One of the better ball winners in the league and he's got a huge engine. 

The player we really need is Paul Pogba, but preferably a version of him with normal hair and without the weird hype machine around him that creates personalised emojis and the like.

I've been an advocate for Milinkovic-Savic for a while now, think he'd be the player we hoped Grujic could become.  Tall, ranges all over the pitch, smooth as silk while putting in a punishing tackle, and can pass the ball intelligently.  Bit raw but Jurgen would soon smooth out the rough edges.

I also wonder if we could convert Draxler to an 8, or whether he's already a forward in his own mind.  I think he has the athletic ability to really do well in a deeper role.  If we could get him to play next to Keita I think that could be a lot better than you'd think in terms of defensive protection of the back 4 and would be amazing in attack as well.

• Upvote 1

The player we really need is Paul Pogba, but preferably a version of him with normal hair and without the weird hype machine around him that creates personalised emojis and the like.

I've been an advocate for Milinkovic-Savic for a while now, think he'd be the player we hoped Grujic could become.  Tall, ranges all over the pitch, smooth as silk while putting in a punishing tackle, and can pass the ball intelligently.  Bit raw but Jurgen would soon smooth out the rough edges.

I also wonder if we could convert Draxler to an 8, or whether he's already a forward in his own mind.  I think he has the athletic ability to really do well in a deeper role.  If we could get him to play next to Keita I think that could be a lot better than you'd think in terms of defensive protection of the back 4 and would be amazing in attack as well.

Draxler plays as an 8 for PSG now alongside Verratti and Rabiot. 

Spurs do with Wanyama and the excellent Dembele (when fit)

Winks is their best midfielder at the moment. Probably the best young midfielder I the league I’ve seen since Steven Gerrard. Can’t be too many better young midfielders in the world at the moment I wouldn’t have thought.