You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

Paco

• 1 month later...

I don’t get dislike for Ox. 

He’ll probably never be in our first 11, but he’s a good squad player and can cover a couple of positions.

He’s not great out wide, but he still contributed for us in that position last season. Scored the opener v Bournemouth & Southampton and the killer at West Ham from out there. 

He’s miles better in central midfield, but given our lack of options up front it wasn’t possible. He played in midfield v Atletico and was really good. 

I get his injuries are really, really frustrating but as a member of the squad, I think he’s a good option & helps us set the tempo when we’re playing at full throttle. 

• Upvote 2

I’ll add, our best squad before Klopp was the 08/09 squad. 

From the bench in that side we had Reira, Pennant, Babel, Lucas, Plessis & El Zahr.

I’d have Ox comfortably over any of those, even the 08/09 version of Lucas (not the 10-14 version though). 

Our options were similarly poor in 13/14 - Luis Alberto, Moses, Allen - again, Ox is comfortably better than any of them. 

He might not have broken into either of those starting XI’s, but he’d sure have been a far better option in the squad. He’s definitely worth keeping. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Just like players like Keita and a few others you’re no good to the squad if hardly ever fit. Alberto is a good player now too. Hopefully we get a few bob off him.

4FE09D39-F9B6-4323-9C15-CF8C0813C486.jpeg

While it didn’t work out for them here, himself and Aspas were clearly very good footballers. Fair to assume Klopp would have gotten a better tune out of them. 

• Upvote 1

I keep saying it. He's only been out long term due to a very bad ACL. He was storming in the games against city and would have played in the Kiev final but for that injury against Roma keeping him out for the year. He was arguably our best player against Atletico.

He got this knock on his knee, I dont know if the club were uber cautious with the previous ACL, so have eased him back slowly. He's been out a little longer than Hendo who had the same injury against Chelsea.

Even Alli has picked up injuries in training, it isnt unusual. The lad offers a goalscoring threat from midfield that we lack. To some, he's the new Lovren \ Hendo, the player they want out of the club but I dont see Jurgen thinking that way.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Elite said:

He'd be a good squad option if his fitness record was good. It's not, so I'd try to get a good fee for him from another prem club and replace him.

Take out his ACL enforced absence and his fitness record with us is no worse than Alli's is better than Matip's, Hendo's, Milner's, Keita's and Shaq.

2 hours ago, El Rojo said:

Offers a long distance goal threat (as does Shaq) which is one of the few areas we could improve on at present. Odd that Hendo and Fabinho don’t take a punt more often as they’ve both scored from far out in the past. 

It's probably an analytics thing. More efficient to attack by focusing on creating shooting opportunities inside the box. I doubt we even want to improve at it.

52 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Take out his ACL enforced absence and his fitness record with us is no worse than Alli's is better than Matip's, Hendo's, Milner's, Keita's and Shaq.

Well, yeah, if you take out serious injuries then the lay off is definitely shorter. Take away VVD’s ligament injury and he has been playing all season. I know what you’re saying, but the fact is he’s injured a lot and always has been. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

I can see why some people are on Thiago's case over his absence. now.

I don’t think it’s about they player being at fault, but when you look at Ox’s career, it’s serious sicknote stuff. It’s frustrating. It’s not his fault. Same with Matip. 

From Transfer Market, think it may be just PL games.

Regarding certain players injuries.

The date is their first injury for the club excluding Chamberlain his date is from his first injury ( after ) the ACL.

Alisson 20 missed since Aug 19

Chamberlain 35 since Feb 18

Keita 28 since Oct 18

Henderson 66 since Aug 15

Milner 21 since Nov 15

The same site has Chamberlains games missed as 155 for Arsenal and Us.

He has been unlucky but so have others. Knew what we got when we bought him. Hope he recovers soon and plays all season uninterrupted.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

From Transfer Market, think it may be just PL games.

Regarding certain players injuries.

The date is their first injury for the club excluding Chamberlain his date is from his first injury ( after ) the ACL.

Alisson 20 missed since Aug 19

Chamberlain 35 since Feb 18

Keita 28 since Oct 18

Henderson 66 since Aug 15

Milner 21 since Nov 15

The same site has Chamberlains games missed as 155 for Arsenal and Us.

He has been unlucky but so have others. Knew what we got when we bought him. Hope he recovers soon and plays all season uninterrupted.

I had added the injury by mistake. It’s 119 games.