You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

Paco

21 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I posted that on Ox 2 months ago. It’s fair to say he’s not had the return from injury I’d hoped for.

It’s not just Ox though - Ox, Shaq, Origi, Minamino before he left etc have all offered nothing at all this season. At all.

But Meireles does deserve to be on that list. A good burst of goals one January and very little else. 

He was only with us for 1 season wasn't he and half of that under the Owl? 

Too injury prone and also not the required quality. He had a few decent games, all in midfield none out wide, before his injury, but his so called excellent run of form has been grossly exaggerated imo. His main attributes are pace and power, at least it was. Technically he is not very good, he’s quite wasteful in possession and his long range passing is poor.

I actually rate him as a player. He's undoubtedly inconsistent and that's not helped by injuries. But the stick he's getting on here is not warranted at all, when in full flow I think he's genuinely a really useful player.

His first season he was great, had the most horrific injury possible. Last season he was shifted all over the park and scored a very impressive 8 goal tally. Remember watching him away at Spurs away, Atletico at home and United at home and thinking this guy is a really good player and couldn't really see a huge decline in his performance from Nov 17-May 18 to that.

He's been absolutely riddled with injuries this year and has been thrown in out of position in the midst of our worst slump in form in around 5 years. I don't think it's a fair to write him off, there's a player there, we've seen it before. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, LFC 6 Times said:

I actually rate him as a player. He's undoubtedly inconsistent and that's not helped by injuries. But the stick he's getting on here is not warranted at all, when in full flow I think he's genuinely a really useful player.

His first season he was great, had the most horrific injury possible. Last season he was shifted all over the park and scored a very impressive 8 goal tally. Remember watching him away at Spurs away, Atletico at home and United at home and thinking this guy is a really good player and couldn't really see a huge decline in his performance from Nov 17-May 18 to that.

He's been absolutely riddled with injuries this year and has been thrown in out of position in the midst of our worst slump in form in around 5 years. I don't think it's a fair to write him off, there's a player there, we've seen it before. 

You may be correct that he's a decent player,when fit,but his injury record for both us and his previous clubs is awful. It would only be a matter of time before he broke down again.

10 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

He was only bought to fill a British players quota,for little more. The transfer fee was stupid but we cant get them all right.

We don't get them all right. Minamino, Shaq, keita have all failed in different ways too. I would say the jury is still out on thiago and Kostas from this summer. 

9 minutes ago, suzy said:

I do find it a bit galling that he’s  all over social media when he hardly plays! Especially when we won the league. He seems a decent lad but ...

Might just be a sign you're getting on a bit, I know I am and this social media crap gets on my tits too, but it's the way it is these days unfortunately.

15 minutes ago, Herp McDerp said:

Might just be a sign you're getting on a bit, I know I am and this social media crap gets on my tits too, but it's the way it is these days unfortunately.

Haha don’t get me started on ‘social influencers’!

I wouldn’t mind if he’d scored 20 goals last season!

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Look at me resting my sore leg on this yacht in 100 degrees in November.

Wonder what I will buy next? Not just him but the lack of awareness.

What lack of awareness? 9 out of 10 footballers have Instagram. They don't do it to rub it in the face of people, it just helps them get more popular. 

• Downvote 1

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

What lack of awareness? 9 out of 10 footballers have Instagram. They don't do it to rub it in the face of people, it just helps them get more popular. 

Didn’t say he was rubbing it in anyone’s face mate, and said it wasn’t just him.

Maybe I’m old fashioned but I think of what people are going through all over the world and these players have it all. A few of them play so little they should maybe be a little bit more savvy. Might be be.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Didn’t say he was rubbing it in anyone’s face mate, and said it wasn’t just him.

Maybe I’m old fashioned but I think of what people are going through all over the world and these players have it all. A few of them play so little they should maybe be a little bit more savvy. Might be be.

lack of awareness is exactly the right words. they might all be at it on instagram, but they're completely unaware of what the people who pay their wages are going through. i don't think it is anything to do with being old, it's purely about them being aware enough not everything is as rosey in the world as it is for them. 

• Upvote 3

He's been exactly what most people said he would be when he first signed - a perennially injured, jack of all trades master of none, bog average footballer.

He seems a nice lad but he's nowhere near the level of the majority of the squad.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Feel sorry for him. He's obviously gutted with his own performances you can see it when he comes on and fucks up. 

We do need to move him on in the summer though, not many players left to sell to raise funds so you'd think he will be a prime candidate. 

1 minute ago, Daisy said:

Feel sorry for him. He's obviously gutted with his own performances you can see it when he comes on and fucks up. 

We do need to move him on in the summer though, not many players left to sell to raise funds so you'd think he will be a prime candidate. 

Who would give us decent money for him though? 

3 minutes ago, Daisy said:

He's English so not likely to go anywhere.

1 hour ago, m0e said:

Worst substitute to bring on for us at the minute. Even worse than Origi.

He's been hopeless and that's coming from someone who's been willing him to come good after his injuries. But he must be showing something in training because otherwise I can't understand why he's getting game time. 

• Upvote 1

Not sure if it was Sir Roger said Keita is the only midfielder who likes to get ahead of the front three. He's not, Ox is as well.

Sure, he's not been in the form he was before his ACL but despite that, he has played several balls to Mo or been involved in moves that have seen Mo score.

He qualifies as a home grown player for both the PL and Europe so unless he asks for a move, I dont see him leaving any time soon unless anattacking qualifying home grown player comes in.