You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Be honest, if offered 4th at the start of the season, would you have said yes?

Bjornebye

4th yes or no  

74 members have voted

1. 1. 4th yes or no

• Yeah
    • Nope

We simply didn't have the squad to compete with Chelsea and Spurs in the long run looking back on the season, so overall think 3rd is the best we could have acheived. Both have solid defences (unlike ourselves) with defensive midfielders proving extra protection.

We fucked up 3rd spot with the 2 points from 9 games at home prior to the Boro game.

Madness that we didn't look to bring in a Mane alternative given that Ings was out for the season and Sturridge's fitness issues.

We're going to need to seriously beef up the squad given how injury prone a lot of our players are given that we've got European footy next season.

I think that the major difference between us and the likes of Spuds,who finished second,is squad depth. We both have the same kind of energy and playing style but their replacements are miles ahead of ours. They also have a prolific striker which is both positive and negative(negative when over reliant somebody like the blueshite) but that somebody would be great. Lacazette seems like a player who might be like this but we would only be able to get him if others are lukewarm to him and prioritise other strikers. Spurs are no doubt waiting for us to show interest so they can put in a bid.

I'd have taken 4th as I thought we'd finish 5th or 6th.

I felt this season was a gamble, Klopp seeing how far we could take a slimmed down squad on a shoe-string, with the hope we'd get CL and have more to spend when better quality was available. Given that, and the risks we took regarding injuries, as well as how others strengthened, 4th is a very good result.

The stepping stone argument. I'm looking at Arsenal again. What has twenty years of Champions League qualification helped them achieve?

The last two title winners weren't in the Champions League. Our best title challenge came in a season with no European football.

Is it all it's cracked up to be?

The signings of Henry, Petit, Viera, Sanchez etc and therefore a couple of leagues and a few cups

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought we would finish 6th or 7th this season as none of the problems were addressed from last year and we spent fuck all.

I did too,

If Wenger had announced his intention to leave in the summer when his contract expired they would have pulled out all the stops to give him a decent send off and had Mourinho not decided the most expensive squad in history was only fit to play for draws both would have finished above us. 

• Upvote 2

The signings of Henry, Petit, Viera, Sanchez etc and therefore a couple of leagues and a few cups

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They won the title in 1997/1998 which qualified them for the Champions League but during the 1997/1998 season itself, and the season prior to that, they were playing in the UEFA Cup and were knocked out in the first round.  Vieira, Petit, Bergkamp, Anelka and Overmars were all signed before they qualified for the CL.

I did too,

If Wenger had announced his intention to leave in the summer when his contract expired they would have pulled out all the stops to give him a decent send off and had Mourinho not decided the most expensive squad in history was only fit to play for draws both would have finished above us. 

Precisely.  We got amazingly lucky - a turn of events that I don't see being repeated next season.

Lucky my fucking arse? We got 76 points, getting 4th was the bare minimum this season after our August to January form. We were absolutely boss for 60% of the season and decimated by injuries to our key players. If we were lucky we would have been right in the thick of that title race.

I did too,

All ifs and buts

If Coutinho and Mane had not got injured we would have another 10 to 15pts

Only been 2 season in the past 10 years that the points total would not have got us at least 4th. Often 3rd and occasionally 2nd. It was gully deserved and without Mane and Coutinho getting injured would have been secured weeks back with at least 3rd place if not pushing for higher

• Upvote 2

All ifs and buts

If Coutinho and Mane had not got injured we would have another 10 to 15pts

And they could of got inured earlier and we would have had less points, I thought beginning of the season 75 points is about the least required to make CL.  Looking at what we had I think we just about did as well as we could have reasonably be expected to . Great start offset by a wobbly start to the year,  2 points per game a pretty good outcome,

Chelsea and Spurs were the best two teams by a mile and City under achieved

The only real question in this context was were we lucky to finish above Arsenal and the Mancs,  Well the table says not but it also said Leicester were the best side in the country a year ago, That outcome was never going to be repeated and as Stringy says we won't be so lucky next time so it all boils down to our summer transfer business, 

And they could of got inured earlier and we would have had less points, I thought beginning of the season 75 points is about the least required to make CL.  Looking at what we had I think we just about did as well as we could have reasonably be expected to . Great start offset by a wobbly start to the year,  2 points per game a pretty good outcome,

Chelsea and Spurs were the best two teams by a mile and City under achieved

The only real question in this context was were we lucky to finish above Arsenal and the Mancs,  Well the table says not but it also said Leicester were the best side in the country a year ago, That outcome was never going to be repeated and as Stringy says we won't be so lucky next time so it all boils down to our summer transfer business, 

That's it.  We have to improve by at least as much as Arsenal and united, and improve more than City and Spurs.  I believe the table will be much more evenly spread next year - by which I mean the 3 teams outside the top one or two won't get anywhere near the amount of points they have this year.  8th place required only 46 points this year - I can't see that happening again next year.  The mid table teams will win more points.

• Upvote 1

I did too,

So if Wenger and Mourinho had not been Wenger and Mourinho...

I did too,

If teams below us had got more points than us then they would have finished above us.

• Upvote 3

I did too,

The more I think about this . . . Arsenal won their last five league games, and seven of their last eight. They did pull out all the stops at the end of the season.

• Upvote 1

We were not lucky imo.

We needed the season to finish as we were a little shaky but 2pts per game is a good haul. A few less injuries and we may have done better. It all swings in roundabouts but you could say we were unlucky to loose a fair few of the points we did. We conceded some late goals and battered teams without scoring at times. At the end of the day we deserved 4th but yes we need to be pushing in looking for a points total in the mid 80s next season. G

• Upvote 1

That's it.  We have to improve by at least as much as Arsenal and united, and improve more than City and Spurs.  I believe the table will be much more evenly spread next year - by which I mean the 3 teams outside the top one or two won't get anywhere near the amount of points they have this year.  8th place required only 46 points this year - I can't see that happening again next year.  The mid table teams will win more points.

Not sure the mid table teams are going to bridge that gap. I don't see what is likely to drive that , certainly not spending in the summer which will probably hit record highs again. No I think the top 6 will be the same names, different order, Chelsea will have Europe and I think City and Utd were the biggest under-achievers so it could well be lot closer at the top next time, Spurs have to be real contenders and I think City will improve,  We are quite likely to end up in the Europa league one way or another so its going to be tough for us to improve in the league or even tread water, The key as you mention is staying with Utd and Arsenal  

It seems obvious but it all depends on the summer. Another Matip and Mane in, and a goal scorer, we'll be up there.

A few Klavans and we're back to 7/8th

They key has to be stop leaking goals, Been our problem for years especially from set pieces. Lovren and Mig are not good enough is the uncomfortable truth plus we have no LB or decent DM . Hard to see all that getting fixed by August let alone finding a working version of Sturridge