You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Your surname: Rare? Common? Where?

Paulie Dangerously

163rdmost common surname in the world. Approximately 2,898,043 people bear this surname. Highest density: Turks and Caicos Islands

The U.S. is number one, not surprisingly. Interestingly the second most common place is Nigeria. Explains why I get a heap of those emails asking me do I want to share a fortune.

Cheers for sharing. A while back I did some family tree digging on my Mums Paternal side seeing as my Grandad is still with us. Anyway I managed to find out his family were originally from Nottingham, and went to Boston USA to start a new life at the end of the 1800's, but his Great Grandad died a few years later. His Great Grandmother came back to England and married a guy called Augustus Armroyd, who was from Liverpool, which is how the family ended up in his neck of the woods.

I've just looked to see if there's any Armroyds still around and it appears the name is now extinct. There was about a dozen at the end of the 1800's, but now all gone. I've never considered that a surname could disappear in relatively modern times.

My own surname is 855,279th in the world, only 201 apparently.

Interesting my name Gardiner is quiet high in Libera and Ghana

I already new the history

French version of Gardener. Came to England with the Norman conquest in 1066. Hampden Court gardens designed by a Gardiner. The name goes back to the Saxons in Northern Gaul meaning Guard. Some of the first whites to settle North America hence Gardiners Island of New York,traded the land for blankets,dogs and guns with native tribes

Wang is the most common surname in the world. 76,546,675 people in the world with that name, with the vast majority (almost 75m of them) in China alone. Also, 'wang' means 'king' in Mandarin so if you count all the variants such as King, Konig, Rey, Raja etc, the total figure probably goes past 100 million.

"This family claim descent from Niall of the Nine Hostages, one of the most illustrious of the Irish kings. The sept extended itself at a very remote period over Munster and Connaught, as well as in the barony of Clonlonan, co. Westmeath; and through the long lapse of years they have been eminently distinguished as poets and annalists."

Descended from Royalty, no less! Could have had a better name than Niall of the Nine Hostages though.

Guest Pistonbroke

Thanks for sharing, interesting tool indeed but not sure how accurate they can be. 

My surname is so rare it can't find it, probably due to the fact it's a double barrel name.

So basically I have searched my fathers surname which is 2,456th commonest name in the World with approx 222,779 people sharing it. Most prevalent in the USA, also a lot in Canada, Australia, UK and quite a few in South Africa, Germany and Russia which is a surprise. Highest density in Montserrat of all places. 

My mothers surname is 169,074th commonest, 2151 people share the name, most prevalent in India, Saudi Arabia, Oman, UK, South Africa and the USA. Highest density in Montserrat again. 

Although the missus was born in Russia her Surname is most prevalent in Canada, USA, Brazil and Germany.