You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Convince me that [insert here] is ace

Paul

Bowie, Page & Plant, Pink Floyd, The Sex Pistols, Black Sabbath, Marvin Gaye, Hendrix & Neil Young.

That's just a really quick off the top of my head effort.

Nevermind knocked Michael Jackson off the top of the charts and changed how alternative rock music was perceived forever.

The others don't come close but that's just my opinion. It's all highly subjective. Is a young kid picking up a guitar for the first time likely to be inspired by Teen Spirit or Paranoid?

Whether you like the music or not, without Juan Atkins techno wouldn't exist. You go to 'underground' clubs in the US, UK, Europe, South America, Australia, you'd hear techno.

Go out and ask 100 randoms who they have heard of, Kurt or Juan. I like Juan Atkins/Tresor label but come on.

Go out and ask 100 randoms who they have heard of, Kurt or Juan. I like Juan Atkins/Tresor label but come on.

I'm talking about influence not popularity.. Of course Kurt Cobain is more popular... Techno is 'thriving' relatively speaking these days, and the dude started it all... Who plays grunge these days?

Wouldn't that just be a case of people more likely having heard of the person who was influenced by somebody they haven't heard of, if that makes sense?

In motoring, the Cadillac Type 53 was nowhere near as popular as the Ford Model T but its basic layout is still the blueprint for cars today. Most people will have heard of the latter but its influence is less about the actual product and more about how mass assembly line production revolutionised the manufacturing process.

Wouldn't that just be a case of people more likely having heard of the person who was influenced by somebody they haven't heard of, if that makes sense?q

In motoring, the Cadillac Type 53 was nowhere near as popular as the Ford Model T but its basic layout is still the blueprint for cars today. Most people will have heard of the latter but its influence is less about the actual product and more about how mass assembly line production revolutionised the manufacturing process.

Sure, if you like.

As I say it's all subjective/just my opinion.

Also, I was commenting more in the context of rock n roll. Juan Atkins was obviously more influential in the techno sphere. Nevertheless I would say that Cobain had more of an influence on 20th century music than Juan Atkins.

Nevermind knocked Michael Jackson off the top of the charts and changed how alternative rock music was perceived forever.

The others don't come close but that's just my opinion. It's all highly subjective. Is a young kid picking up a guitar for the first time likely to be inspired by Teen Spirit or Paranoid?

Black Sabbath basically set the blueprint for Heavy Metal, whether you think that's a good or a bad thing, they are hugely influential on modern rock music, a lot of the grunge stuff is directly lifted from their first four albums.

I agree that it's subjective though, a mate of mine teaches drums & he says all the kids want to play these days is Dave Grohl stuff so your original point may even go a bit further than Kurt Cobain.

• Upvote 1

I love Nirvana myself, but I fail to see what influence Kurt Cobain really had apart from maybe opportunistic marketing ploys aimed at angsty, sullen teenagers to sell t-shirts with his image on them.

American Football and Game of Thrones. I've tried to get into both but haven't been able to. Both massively popular but just seem a bit, well, shit.

Sorry mate, you just haven't sold me on either there. I remain unconvinced.

I love Nirvana myself, but I fail to see what influence Kurt Cobain really had apart from maybe opportunistic marketing ploys aimed at angsty, sullen teenagers to sell t-shirts with his image on them.

Here's Iggy Pop's take on it:-

As for his legacy: He was Johnny B. Goode. He was the last example that I can think of within rock & roll where a poor kid with no family backup from a small, rural area effected a serious emotional explosion in a significant sector of world youth.

• Upvote 1