You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)

dennis tooth

I thought he turned out to be a great captain and for a time it was obvious we were missing him when he was absent, but his exit has left a sour taste. I’m sure he’ll be welcomed when he comes back to Anfield in the future though.

12 hours ago, Dave D said:

Do you mean from the moment we signed him?

With the exception of the first sentence, I was taking the piss mate. Had a Liverpool career to be proud of in terms of achievement and contribution, before age did what it does. Just a shame he’s soured things to such a degree and will always be remembered here with a but now.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

Had a ropy start, a great middle and a fairly sharp decline over the past couple of seasons. Happy enough to see him go with a small chunk for the transfer kitty and a large chunk for the wages pot, but a bit flabbergasted by the level of vitriol from some of the posters on here for one of our best captains. I acknowledge the Saudi angle but let's be honest, he was hated on here by more than a few even before that.

I liked him as a player but the Saudi angle has soured me completely. I suppose I really started to see his 'fuck you' attitude towards fans shining through when he was belting out the national anthem while 50 thousand Liverpool supporters were booing it. That was odd for me. He wasn't just mouthing it or humming it he was doing his own one man rendition. Like I say,it's not the fact he's moving but where he's going and yet another 'fuck you' to both LFC fans and people who felt they had a high profile ally. They have been let down badly.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dr Nowt said:

With the exception of the first sentence, I was taking the piss mate. Had a Liverpool career to be proud of in terms of achievement and contribution, before age did what it does. Just a shame he’s soured things to such a degree and will always be remembered here with a but now.

Difficult to tell with you, you letter glutton you  

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I liked him as a player but the Saudi angle has soured me completely. I suppose I really started to see his 'fuck you' attitude towards fans shining through when he was belting out the national anthem while 50 thousand Liverpool supporters were booing it. That was odd for me. He wasn't just mouthing it or humming it he was doing his own one man rendition. Like I say,it's not the fact he's moving but where he's going and yet another 'fuck you' to both LFC fans and people who felt they had a high profile ally. They have been let down badly.

Narked me that anthem shite.

He basically put the Ingerlund gammons and flag shaggers ahead of his own clubs fans there IMO.

Pound to a penny his thought process was 'this is gonna be something that is seen by all other clubs fans and they'll focus in on me as captain, if i am seen not singing it it will lead to me getting dogs abuse from England fans and i don't want that'....

Putting that shite ahead of the overwhelming semtiment in the ground amongst his own clubs fans.

Nobody was asking him to be a cheerleader for the booing, nobody was asking him to run into the kop and grab a scouse not english banner or a fuck the tories banner - just as 'our leader' to stand silently whilst the people who effectively pay his massive wages express their view - not very openly and quite brazenly belt out the very thing they were showing their opposition to.

As i say he put Ingerlund ahead of Liverpool that day and the views of Chelsea, Tottenham, Villa, Wolves et al fans ahead of ours and for me it was the day he stopped being worthy any longer of being our captain.

2 minutes ago, an tha said:

Narked me that anthem shite.

He basically put the Ingerlund gammons a d flag shaggers ahead of his won clubs fans there IMO.

Pound to a penny his thought process was 'this is gonna be something that is seen by all other clubs fans and they'll focus in on me as captain, if i am seen not singing it it will lead to me getting dogs abuse from England fans and i don't want that'....

Putting that shite ahead of the overwhelming semtiment in the ground amongst his own clubs fans.

Nobody was asking him to be a cheerleader for the booing, nobody was asking him to run into the kop and grab a scouse not english banner or a fuck the tories banner - just as 'our leader' to stand silently whilst the people who effectively pay his massive wages express their view - not very openly and quite brazenly belt out the very thing they were showing their opposition to.

As i say he put Ingerlund ahead of Liverpool that day and for me it was the day he stopped being worthy any longer of being our captain.

Good point. I am not so sure about the self publicity but he definitely didn't want to be seen supporting the 'fuck the English establishment' that a lot of our fans believe in. 

37 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I actually lip-read it and he was just singing 'Hendo, Hendo, Hendo...' to the tune of the dirge. 

• Haha 2

You cant really demand a player to adopt your political views- for example any English player we sign should be anti English?

Some will point to the captaincy as a validating reason but in reality thats crazy.         

• Upvote 2

Just now, Dave D said:

You cant really demand a player to adopt your political views- for example any English player we sign should be anti English?

Some will point to the captaincy as a validating reason but in reality thats crazy.         

I can't believe I'm defending Henderson but people are delusional if they think all players should align with their very limited worldview.  Fans putting these young lads on a pedestal imbues them with all sorts of qualities they don't possess, and then the fans are mortified when the players don't live up to their expectations.  It's bunny boiler behaviour.  

Regard them as a bit thick, with little or no grip on cultural or political realities or worldview, and then they won't have so far to fall from the pedestal you've created for them.  

• Upvote 8

1 minute ago, Dave D said:

I am not personally,but the booing is something that even Klopp understands without being part of it. Henderson could simply have bowed his head,hummed or quietly mouthed the words rather than very visibly belting it out. I know our team under Shanks had plenty of tories but he'd do his level best to make sure any disrespect towards fans was kept private or not tolerated. Henderson might well have dressed up like a Pearly King and hugged a framed photo of the Royals with how visible his actions were while thousands booed in protest.

4 minutes ago, Dave D said:

Of course he does not have to adopt anyone elses views....but for me he should have just kept his mouth shut that day. Just did not sit right with me to see our captain actively fight against the majority sentiment in the ground that day.

• Upvote 1

Something feels very off here, apart from the fact Hendo wanted to go at all and his choice of location. He's done a fair bit of coordinated goodbye PR, and pretty much all current and former players have rushed to comment on it, but no word from the club or Klopp? 

21 minutes ago, stringvest said:

I can't believe I'm defending Henderson but people are delusional if they think all players should align with their very limited worldview.  Fans putting these young lads on a pedestal imbues them with all sorts of qualities they don't possess, and then the fans are mortified when the players don't live up to their expectations.  It's bunny boiler behaviour.  

Regard them as a bit thick, with little or no grip on cultural or political realities or worldview, and then they won't have so far to fall from the pedestal you've created for them.  

But football is make believe. The whole concept of grown men and women supporting a bunch of millionaires they will never meet is ridiculous. We need to be able to believe Trent when he speaks about helping kids that didnt make it through the academy system. The armband said he was a red or any other PR bullshit we're fed about our players, we need to buy in somewhat or there is just no point.

Virgil is next in line to be captain, I've no idea what religion he is, what political beliefs he has, he seems like a decent bloke so that's enough. If he doesn't particularly believe in refugee rights for example then he shouldn't say anything that suggests he does. It's that simple, he's allowed to be a footballer in a bubble, what's not allowed is using his position as Liverpool Captain to further his own reputation like Henderson has done. He could fuck off to Saudi like Fab without any of the grief if he didn't pretend to stand shoulder to shoulder to so many vulnerable groups.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, No2 said:

But football is make believe. The whole concept of grown men and women supporting a bunch of millionaires they will never meet is ridiculous. We need to be able to believe Trent when he speaks about helping kids that didnt make it through the academy system. The armband said he was a red or any other PR bullshit we're fed about our players, we need to buy in somewhat or there is just no point.

Virgil is next in line to be captain, I've no idea what religion he is, what political beliefs he has, he seems like a decent bloke so that's enough. If he doesn't particularly believe in refugee rights for example then he shouldn't say anything that suggests he does. It's that simple, he's allowed to be a footballer in a bubble, what's not allowed is using his position as Liverpool Captain to further his own reputation like Henderson has done. He could fuck off to Saudi like Fab without any of the grief if he didn't pretend to stand shoulder to shoulder to so many vulnerable groups.

hopefully our fans won't make the same mistake again.  It's unreasonable to expect any more than them pulling on a shirt and performing to the best of their ability.

1 hour ago, an tha said:

Of course he does not have to adopt anyone elses views....but for me he should have just kept his mouth shut that day. Just did not sit right with me to see our captain actively fight against the majority sentiment in the ground that day.

I could understand that view if he wasn’t consistent in singing it but if he’s always done it, and it might mean something to him, I think it’s a bit too much to to ask.

24 minutes ago, kemskem said:

I could understand that view if he wasn’t consistent in singing it but if he’s always done it, and it might mean something to him, I think it’s a bit too much to to ask.

Not for me - when he is standing on our pitch, in our shirt, representing our club in the middle of what was an overwhelming display of feeling from our fans.

He was dead out of line IMHO.

As i say i don't expect him to run to Kop and grab a scouse not english banner, or any of the others expressing anti establishment sentiment.....and he can believe in whatever he wants - but to express a sentiment as he did in those circumstances, well i found it stank.