You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

8 hours ago, Hank Moody said:

There’s no way working class hero, ‘don’t even think about owning a nice coffee machine’ Gnasher, would drink Dulux. Now, I’m not saying he doesn’t absolutely smash back tins of wilko satin white, but he’s not touching the posh stuff. 

Bet it’s made in Poland. 

The Internet cowards been busy today again i see.

3 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Mick knows the problems facing this country.

God knows what he'd think of this "gammon' nonsense levelled by some of here. 

What???? 

I don't think you'll find many at all on here who would disagree with Mick Lynch on that 

8 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

What???? 

I don't think you'll find many at all on here who would disagree with Mick Lynch on that 

Him and his union voted out. His veiws wouldn't be welcomed in the echo chamber. Look at the comments directed at me just this one day.

1 minute ago, Gnasher said:

Him and his union voted out. His veiws wouldn't be welcomed in the echo chamber. Look at the comments directed at me just this one day.

I haven't seen a single person suggest he drinks paint mate. Cheap paint or otherwise. 

1 minute ago, Gnasher said:

Yeah, they voted out and now billionaires in the UK have seen their wealth quadruple in the period since whilst wages of the workers they represent have gone backwards. Dumb decision.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, skend04 said:

Yeah, they voted out and now billionaires in the UK have seen their wealth quadruple in the period since whilst wages of the workers they represent have gone backwards. Dumb decision.

I think the wealth distribution con has been going on for a lot longer than the past few years.

3 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Anyway I'll leave this thread, you crack on.

I don't see anyone disagreeing with what Mick Lynch has said. You implied people on here would. Who? 

The rich run things. That's a fact. 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Ffs, you're chatting shit mate. 

I'm not. Name another poster who shares Lynchs veiws on the EU, and posts on this thread. None. Now ask yourself why. I'd suggest Lynch's opinions on the EU are shared by more people than you'd think.

Anyway I'll leave you all to it on this thread for a bit as it's turning into another crankfest.

Just now, Gnasher said:

I'm not. Name another poster who shares Lynchs veiws on the EU, and posts on this thread. None. Now ask yourself why. I'd suggest Lynch's opinions on the EU are shared by more people than you'd think.

Anyway I'll leave you all to it on this thread for a bit as it's turning into another crankfest.

I know you said you didn't vote but if you had to vote tomorrow would you vote leave or remain? With the benefit of hindsight 

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

I’m still waiting for you to solve the driver shortage? Extremely well paid positions that we can’t fill because the British don’t really want to do it. Jobs that were filled prior to Brexit but now just lay vacant piling pressure on everyone else from warehouse staff to the stores that are not getting regular deliveries to the admin staff trying to get as much out with extremely limited resources. This issue is causing people to leave and actually go to lesser paid jobs because it’s easier.

Any ideas?

6 minutes ago, Fugitive said:

I’m still waiting for you to solve the driver shortage? Extremely well paid positions that we can’t fill because the British don’t really want to do it. Jobs that were filled prior to Brexit but now just lay vacant piling pressure on everyone else from warehouse staff to the stores that are not getting regular deliveries to the admin staff trying to get as much out with extremely limited resources. This issue is causing people to leave and actually go to lesser paid jobs because it’s easier.

Any ideas?

One of my mates runs a warehouse in Northampton. They’ve got the Waitrose contract so quite high pressure.  

He had to offer high wages to keep drivers as they were being poached by other firms, but there were no new drivers coming through. So the temporary blip has corrected and wages have dipped back to where they were. 

@Gnasher Here are RMT's reasons for leaving the EU.

https://www.rmt.org.uk/news/rmt-sets-out-six-key-reasons-for-leaving-the-eu/

Ask anyone here about any of those things and the response would be "Obviously I support those aspirations, but Brexit is going to make every one of them so much worse". And we'd be right.

On 22/07/2022 at 20:35, Fugitive said:

We have massive shortage of workers. It has had an impact on everyone else. From drivers to warehouse staff. Both had pay increases but are leaving due to the extra workload because we are now severely understaffed. 

It's all a big knock-on effect from Brexit, not Covid. 

I don't understand the Covid argument, it seems to be based on some notion that workers have chosen not to work after Covid.  I mean, that's it, I can't think how else Covid has led to us suddenly having less people to do all the jobs we did prior to March 2020.  Unless...

There's now MORE vacancies than there were prior to March 2020, due to Brexit, and people have decided to switch professions and follow the areas of wage growth.  

By March 2020, already net migration was negative, I recall local businesses already complaining about a lack of staff. 

Then Covid meant that hospitality venues were running below capacity, with less staff, so vacancies weren't being felt very strongly, until about 6-9 months ago when businesses started to get weaned off the government hand outs, and needed to operate to capacity again as more and more people became confident of getting back to normal. 

That's when Brexit was laid bare. 

And one big aspect is how reliant London was on migrant workers, so naturally London venues paid more than the rest of the country, generally, and soaked-up an inordinate number of the hospitality workers who, naturally, wanted the good money.  

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

One of my mates runs a warehouse in Northampton. They’ve got the Waitrose contract so quite high pressure.  

He had to offer high wages to keep drivers as they were being poached by other firms, but there were no new drivers coming through. So the temporary blip has corrected and wages have dipped back to where they were. 

'had to' pay higher wages.

This is the problem, wages increase, always have, always will.  

Some businesses don't seem to factor this into their long term planning, which strikes me as being really fucking stupid. 

1 hour ago, Fugitive said:

Any ideas?

tenor.gif

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Gnasher said:

I share his views on the EU, they're a shower of cunts.

Leaving was still a huge mistake though, certainly in the short to medium term.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fugitive said:

Any ideas?

I think his answer (based on his response to the Co-op having similar supply issues, profits suffering, and job losses) would probably be ...fuck them.  Just a guess.