You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

Are these lorries bringing the Unicorns in? 

They'll probably be bringing "illegals" in unchecked seeing as though the lorry parks are intended for checks on goods out, so I read.  This taking back control business is, well, I am lost for words.

1 hour ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

And they don't have to get the agreement of local councils.

Remote unelected bureaucrats are going to fuck up our local economy and environment and we are powerless to stop it. 

Huge round of applause to the 51.9% who voted for this.

Taking back control!

1 hour ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

And they don't have to get the agreement of local councils.

Remote unelected bureaucrats are going to fuck up our local economy and environment and we are powerless to stop it. 

Huge round of applause to the 51.9% who voted for this.

Good to see you speaking out against "remote unelected bureaucrats" angry.

11 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Good to see you speaking out against "remote unelected bureaucrats" angry.

I've always been a fan of subsidiarity. 

I've never fallen for the lie that shifting unaccountable power from Brussels to London would somehow make things more democratic. 

52 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I've always been a fan of subsidiarity. 

I've never fallen for the lie that shifting unaccountable power from Brussels to London would somehow make things more democratic. 

Not the point Angry, you're either against "unelected bureaucrats" as you put it, or you are not, you're the one who used the word "remote" I'd use a slightly different word.

36 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Not the point Angry, you're either against "unelected bureaucrats" as you put it, or you are not, you're the one who used the word "remote" I'd use a slightly different word.

They are elected, in MEP elections, which the whole of the electorate were free to vote in.

As you don’t vote I assume you missed it.

10 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Am I right in thinking elections for MEP’s are voted for by PR, so inherently more democratic than the voting for UK MP’s? 

More or less yes, there are a few quirks, but essentially a broad, balanced & fair way to give representation.

It’s almost like some people swallowed the lies about unelected bureaucrats and lack of sovereignty despite all the fucking evidence to the contrary being freely available.  

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

*sigh*

I didn't invent the term "unelected bureaucrats". I nicked it (y'know, for ironic effect) from the last 30 years or more of anti-EU propaganda. I use the word "remote" because it doesn't matter one bit whether people taking decisions which affect us, but for which they are not accountable to us, have an officein London, in Brussels or in Timbucfuckingtu.

36 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

A few old "unelected" friends say hello

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28261959

So, let me check your thinking, countries who are members of the democratic institution are allowed to nominate people they’d like to help said democratic institution. These people then face a vote on their suitability for the role, against other nominated candidates from member states, who democratically elected their members. The winner of the vote, which is open to all members, is nominated winner and does said job for a fixed period, whereas the others go back to where they came from? 

You’re right, it’s a sham, I’ll be glad to see the back of it! 

6 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

So, let me check your thinking, countries who are members of the democratic institution are allowed to nominate people they’d like to help said democratic institution. These people then face a vote on their suitability for the role, against other nominated candidates from member states, who democratically elected their members. The winner of the vote, which is open to all members, is nominated winner and does said job for a fixed period, whereas the others go back to where they came from? 

You’re right, it’s a sham, I’ll be glad to see the back of it! 

If you think the people at the top of the eu money mountain are "democratically elected" then Skippy I refuse to be horrible and burst your beautiful little  fantasy. Father Christmas will be down your chimney on Christmas day so make sure you leave him a mince pie.

6 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

If you think the people at the top of the eu money mountain are "democratically elected" then Skippy I refuse to be horrible and burst your beautiful little  fantasy. Father Christmas will be down your chimney on Christmas day so make sure you leave him a mince pie.

Yawn.

Literally a Breitbart response.

You’ve been had off by the ‘elites’ and you’re not just licking boots you’re telling others they’re not licking with enough gusto.

Kinda sad.

53 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Imagine having to vote for every person that does a job in the civil service. No actually you can't because you don't vote.

1 hour ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Yawn.

Literally a Breitbart response.

You’ve been had off by the ‘elites’ and you’re not just licking boots you’re telling others they’re not licking with enough gusto.

Kinda sad.

It’s the constant shifting of the goal posts that drive you mental. Like conspiracy theories, take away one argument and another pops up.  

Apparently it’s a well studied condition, a desire to seek superiority where none exists.  

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

It’s the constant shifting of the goal posts that drive you mental. Like conspiracy theories, take away one argument and another pops up.  

Apparently it’s a well studied condition, a desire to seek superiority where none exists.  

I can’t imagine a group of people who would get together with psychologists, data analysts, behaviour experts, nudgers, ‘weirdos and misfits’, PR people,  brand management experts and deliberately target those people you mention above with a very simple message which gave them a semblance of power or agency, which ironically took that power away? 

Heaven forfend that such an undemocratic thing could ever conspire. 

I’m glad I live in Brexitland, I’m free.