You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

On 11/10/2017 at 23:18, AngryofTuebrook said:

Their response to Catalonia: it's for Member States to work out their own constitutional issues.

Their response to the UK Referendum: a (narrow) majority voted for a negotiated exit, so the EU are keen to get on with the negotiations.

Their response to Greece: you'll have to help me out here, I must have missed the bit where the EU told young Greeks to fuck themselves.

Anyway, I'm happy that the EU is not about to implode, but then I'm not too stupid to understand how wars start.

Er ok

2 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

You can criticise the EU's lack of action when a Member State government does something twatty.

You can (if you want) criticise the EU for taking action when the government of a non-Member State does something twatty.

What you can't honestly do is accuse the EU of hypocrisy for responding differently to different situations. 

Oh come on. They pick and chose good ol democracy when and where it suits. 

30 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I bet you do. Unfortunately for you and your eu cronies the people of Belarus thought otherwise.

Wow!

Just. Fucking. Wow.

It was bad enough when you aligned yourself with Italian Fascists because they were opposing the EU; now you're siding with a dictator because the EU have criticised his regime.

https://www.hrw.org/world-report/2020/country-chapters/belarus

Campaigners in Sunderland desperately hoping to avoid a No Deal Brexit which would obliterate a huge part of the Wearside economy. 

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/campaigners-hold-vigil-outside-nissan-18777737

All they have to pin their hopes on is Boris Johnson's integrity and Liz Truss's competence.

Anyone who gives a fuck about working class people can see that this is not just a tragedy - it's a travesty, because it is all so easily avoidable.

8 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Yes. You're a hypocrite.

I see.

Because three years ago I pointed out that the EU had chosen not to intervene in the domestic affairs of a Member State, whereas today, in complete contrast, I'm pointing out that the EU chose not to intervene in the domestic affairs of a Member State.

You've got me bang to rights.

9 hours ago, mattyq said:

Sorry but you and angry are missing the point. According to themselves it's not for the eu to decide who or who not to support, they are acting like the yanks in south America. The eu made it clear it wasnt their business when people were being beaten at polling stations in Catalonia but now jump in with two feet in Belarus. Its hypocrisy and if you support it you're being hypocritical.

https://euobserver.com/political/146271

We're not missing the point.  We understand the point you're trying to make and pointing out why you're wrong.

The EU, as a rule, doesn’t intervene in the domestic affairs of Member States. It's the principle of subsidiarity: decisions are only taken at a supra-national level when they can't be taken at a national level. (There are exceptions to this, for example when the EU criticised the Orban regime for failing to adhere to agreed standards of Human Rights - and if you want to argue that the EU should have also made a similar exceptional criticism of the Spanish government, that would be a valid argument. )

Among the decisions taken at a supra-national level, the EU negotiates trade deals and establishes political relationships with non-Member States. That's what the EU criticism of the Belarusian dictatorship is all about.

To be clear: Member States are one thing; non-Member States are a different thing.

7 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

We're not missing the point.  We understand the point you're trying to make and pointing out why you're wrong.

The EU, as a rule, doesn’t intervene in the domestic affairs of Member States. It's the principle of subsidiarity: decisions are only taken at a supra-national level when they can't be taken at a national level. (There are exceptions to this, for example when the EU criticised the Orban regime for failing to adhere to agreed standards of Human Rights - and if you want to argue that the EU should have also made a similar exceptional criticism of the Spanish government, that would be a valid argument. )

Among the decisions taken at a supra-national level, the EU negotiates trade deals and establishes political relationships with non-Member States. That's what the EU criticism of the Belarusian dictatorship is all about.

To be clear: Member States are one thing; non-Member States are a different thing.

Sorry Angry but that's utter rubbish. The eu ignored Catalonia, they were not a member state they didnt have a chance, and now this,

Dress it up all you like its hypocrisy. 

24 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Oh my.

How to explain..?

Catalonia is not a country. That's kind of what the demonstrations in Barcelona were all about. It's a province of Spain.

Spain is an EU Member State.

Belarus is not an EU Member State.

Yes exactly. Spain is in the eu, Catalonia although not an eu state is in Spain so therefore in the eu. Belarus is not in the eu.

What the fyck gives these pompous gimps the right to browbeat about a country not in the eu? Whilst people who are eu citizens are ignored whilst being beaten at a ballot box. 

Its called hypocrisy. The people below are not eu citizens 

The below people are members of the eu but were ignored 

https://euobserver.com/political/146271

It's called hypocrisy.

7 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Hypocrisy is when you react differently to two very similar situations. 

Reacting differently to different situations is not hypocrisy. 

Yep and also when you act with shock and empathy for a people who have fuck all to do with you whilst ignoring the legitimate issues of people who do.

The situations were really not that different, people from different countries hoping their voices would be heard through the ballet box. One peoples voice was heard, one was ignored. Strange.