You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brendan Rodgers is our manager

So we've dropped our expectations from Ancelotti or Klopp to Pako?

I've got nothing against Pako but please if we are going to change manager at some time in the future, could it at least be a top manager. One that will attract players, has an eye for a player, has won things at the top level.

I realise the owners probably won't want that. I can only hope the current sticking plaster attempts are purely a money saving exercise before they sell up and fuck off.

The sad thing is none of these people would have been approached as FSG haven't got a fucking club about football.

Meh.

Liverpool Academy director set to stay at Kirkby despite links to Brendan Rodgers' backroom team

05:00, 8 JUNE 2015 BY ANDY KELLY

Alex Inglethorpe had been tipped as a possible new first team coach

Liverpool Academy director Alex Inglethorpe is set to stay at Kirkby rather than switch to a new role within Brendan Rodgers’ staff at Melwood.

The 43-year-old has been linked with a possible permanent move to Melwood following the departures of assistant manager Colin Pascoe and first team coach Mike Marsh on Friday.

But the ECHO understands that Inglethorpe is likely to stay at Kirkby where his work as a “developer” of talent is seen as key in bringing through first team players.

Rodgers was instrumental in bringing Inglethorpe to Liverpool in November 2012 following six years at Tottenham where he was part of developing the likes of Harry Kane, Ryan Mason and many others.

He was promoted to the director of the Academy last summer and continues to enjoy a close relationship with Rodgers.

However it is believed he is seen as been of most value to Liverpool and Rodgers in producing first team players for the Northern Irishman, a project which Inglethorpe himself believes is only just at its beginning and which he is keen to continue with.

Inglethorpe is highly regarded by the Liverpool owners and chairman Tom Werner spoke of his value to the club in the ECHO in February after FSG’s John Henry and Mike Gordon had paid a visit to Kirkby.

Werner said: “I think you know that we’ve made a significant investment in the Academy and I got a report from John and Mike Gordon.

“ I know they met with Alex Inglethorpe who I think is the right man to run the Academy.

“It’s very important obviously that Alex and Brendan and all of us are working together because the lifeblood of any club is its players.”

Inglethorpe had a playing career as an attacking midfielder at Watford, Barnet, Leyton Orient, Exeter City and Canvey Island but packed it in at 29 to concentrate on coaching where he started out as manager of non-league Leatherhead in 2001.

After Leatherhead, a spell as Leyton Orient’s youth coach followed and he took over as boss at Exeter City in 2004, securing a 0-0 draw at Old Trafford in the FA Cup.

In June 2006 he left Exeter to become youth team coach at Tottenham, turning down the chance to take over as manager of MK Dons.

Like Inglethorpe's going to make any difference at the academy.

Sterling

Ibe

Sinclair

Ojo

These are the ones most likely to make it along with Rossiter, Sterling already has. All of them were bought as 15/16 year olds then developed by us to supplement our own talent at the academy. This system has now been abandoned to go back to the system of producing our own talent. A system that between 1998 and 2009 produced no one.

Under the previous system Steve Heighway would not have been allowed through the doors, now he's coaching the kids.

The academy is once again a sick fucking joke.

• Upvote 1

Rodgers was cutting every link between himself and a really shit season, but it had nothing to do with me. I trained the goalies and he gave me some Christmas money. From then on I kept my mouth shut. I knew Rodgers. He had the kudos. It was his. I know he kicked some upstairs to the kid Henry, but that was it. It made him sick to have to take any blame for what had just happened. He'd rather whack them. When they found Colin Pascoe in the meat truck, he was frozen so stiff the cops thought it was Dejan Lovren trying to defend a corner.

article-1324653-0BD2BD71000005DC-303_468

hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

• Upvote 3

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Rumours in the twittersphere ayres getting the boot..

Fucking Rodgers, passing the fucking buck again. What a cunt. Fucking FSG not doing anything and then doing something and it being Rodgers fault. I hate them all.

etc

Can't help but get the feeling that the owners just don't give a fuck anymore and are possibly looking to sell.

The cynics may say they never gave a fuck but I don't believe that to be true in the beginning.

John Henry can't even be fucking arsed to show up anymore, not even for a Wembley Semi-final nor the final home game of the one of the Club's biggest ever legends.

The imminent relaxation of FFP is just the final nail in the coffin.

Can't help but get the feeling that the owners just don't give a fuck anymore and are possibly looking to sell.

The cynics may say they never gave a fuck but I don't believe that to be true in the beginning.

John Henry can't even be fucking arsed to show up anymore, not even for a Wembley Semi-final nor the final home game of the one of the Club's biggest ever legends.

The imminent relaxation of FFP is just the final nail in the coffin.

It's more than a feeling mate they be gone soon as stadium is done

All this speculation on new appointments and the answers are staring you in the face.

Look for the cheapest option and that's where these Yanks are at

Yep... and it also could be the career defining moment for Pako.. Getting to manage at a 'big club'

Whilst change is required and welcome. Especially welcoming that 'Peado' Pascoe has gone..

The appointment of Pako helps to give the experince lacking on the training ground but It could certainly end in tears for Rodger's..

Rodgers probably is having no choice over the appoinments being made

You just cannot help but think it could in the long term.. make his position untenable

Is certainly an arse about face way of doing things..

But no doubt FSG will think it's a masterstroke appointing Pako if the worst does happen..

• Downvote 2

The articles about Pako smack of club PR to try and quell supporter unrest over the lack of success and poor running of the club.

Try and get somebody associated with success at the club(the monkey rather than the organ grinder in typical LFC comedic style.)

Sounds like Newspapers making shit up on a slow day to me.  It's transfer season, it's de rigeur.

I hope this might help, but it's seldom that you see a bad manager finish 2nd in the league.

Over the last 10 season or so, these are the managers who finished second in the PL, and the points they got.

14/15 - Pellegrini (79 points)

13/14 - Rodgers (84 points)

12/13 - Mancini (78 points)

11/13 - Ferguson (89 points)

10/11 - Ancelotti (71 points)

09/10 - Ferguson (85 points)

08/09 - Benitez (86 points)

07/08 - Mourinho/Grant (85 points)

06/07 - Mourinho (83 points)

05/06 - Ferguson (83 points)

04/05 - Wenger (83 points)

So Rodgers' haul last season was better than 6 other second place finishes in the last 11 years.

Look at the state of Wenger. Our manager has finished 2nd as many times as he has in the last 11 years.

I hope this might help, but it's seldom that you see a bad manager finish 2nd in the league.

Over the last 10 season or so, these are the managers who finished second in the PL, and the points they got.

So Rodgers' haul last season was better than 6 other second place finishes in the last 11 years.

Look at the state of Wenger. Our manager has finished 2nd as many times as he has in the last 11 years.

The very definition of grasping at straws

• Upvote 1

Second place is for wimps and big girls blouses .there is only room for winners with big balls at my club. Overflowing trophy cabinets and women with wet knickers looking at big thighed moustachioed Scotsmen. Foreign managers fawning over methods at Melwood and Bobby Charlton saying how great we are on MOTD. Open bus parades and pissed up singalongs, looting Europe annually of it's trophies, trainers and polo shirts. Winning is sexy. 2nd is for losers.

• Upvote 5

And how many of them followed it up with a 7th placed finish?

At least Rafa had the excuse of two owners bankrupting the club and selling players to fund debt payments.

What was Rodgers excuse?

• Upvote 3

Doesn't matter what Rodgers' excuse was, he still got closer to winning the title than 18 other managers.

I don't see shit names on that list. Avram Grant aside...

That said, Grant got 85 points, and was runner-up in the Champions League and League Cup.

And, to be fair, Mourinho flounced in mid-September, and by then had already sold Robben to Real Madrid, and then spent the Summer budget on Sidwell, Alex, Claudio Pizzaro, Ben Haim, Malouda, Borini, and Belletti.

A shithouse move otherwise known as SquadFucking, which is what you do to fuck the team you're about to leave, to make your recent achievements look better.

And in Grant's defence, that Winter he bought Ivanovic.

At that point in time, FYI, Brendan Rodgers was reserve team manager and Paul Clements was youth team manager.

Rodgers' reserve squad included Ryan Bertrand, Michael Mancienne, Jack Cork, and Liam Bridcutt, all of whom not quite good enough for top level footy but went on to be very decent pros, to Rodgers' credit.

None of that matters. What matters is you conducting the same in-depth analysis on the actual things that he does as manager, and whether those things are likely to produce a consistently successful side. Start with the following:

1. Team formation

2. Player selection

3. Player positions

4. In-game substitutions

5. In-game formation changes

6. Transfer targets

7. Player motivation

Make nice lists showing how he is good at all those things despite the weight of evidence so far, and maybe we can talk.