You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

chelsea league cup semi final first leg thread

Paco

It's exactly what I said to my mate before the game- easier said than done, but if you can get past their midfield and isolate their centre halves, just drive at them and you'll have some joy. Even when Terry was in his prime, he was suspect one on one and Cahill is just a yard dog having his flaws masked in a good system.

When Spurs beat them, they managed to get Kane on the ball in the hole and he just drove at them. Hopefully we can fashion a few similar opportunities next week.

• Upvote 1

what I like about Markovic and Can is they don't always pass.back they can use both feet to pass meaning we can sustain attack without having to rebuild from mig. This role really suits Can and Markovic is really growing into his role.

I must admit I had sort of written markovic off after watching a couple of youtube clips.

Sterling's goal was maradona-esque. The way he turned and accelerated. Then went right at them. Superb.

There were certainly some holes down Cans side of the defence and his lack of pace over a short distance was targeted but on the whole that was a great performance. Pity about the result. Lallana couldn't have hit that any better and Gerrard usually sticks that one. Courtois is something else. Probably the best keeper in the world.

Great to see the intensity and pace back in our game.

The run for Sterling's goal was sublime, but it was also a really good finish too.

That's still an area he needs to work on, for me, as he's wasted some really good chances, off the top of my head, the attempted chip at the weekend, that one when he took on the whole Spurs team, a few at United.

But, took tonight's chance really well, right in the inside of the side netting. With his left foot too.

Great goal.

• Upvote 1

We showed those cock holsters how we get down tonight. An iffy penalty and then we got right back at it, started to express ourselves and I think we deserved to win it. We were unlucky in the end. Gerrard sealing the win would have been sweet though.

I am thoroughly impressed by the way this team has overcome the definite shit phase that we went through, and now it looks as if we are about to have a very decent second half to the season.

It does, doesn't it.

At half time, my worst fear was that they'd pull the same stunt as last season and park the bus and then hit us with a sucker punch on the counter, so even though we deserve to go down there with an advantage, I'm not too despondent at level pegging.

Even if we had the advantage, I still think we'd need a goal down there, so even though they're great at home, I don't think it changes a significant amount. If we get the first goal, it certainly makes things interesting.

At the final whistle, my mate sitting next to me said 'pens next week.' I'd take that now, to be honest.

Frustrating as it comes to have not won that game. They're the best team in the country by some distance and we really, really had them rocking tonight. We gave them little to play with other than the penalty and it stings. Other than that I thought Can was pretty good, as always. We pressed well, we were excellent in midfield, defended well and carried a threat.

Hard to say much more than that - more of the same in the second leg and a bit more luck and we can beat them. We really, really can.

Gutted we didn't win that. Chelsea showing the value of a world class goalie (not slagging ours off) who made a number of good saves and was generally dominating.

Penno aside Shakka looked really good and we might have a genuine prospect on our hands there.

Let's use this as a catalyst and kick on. Would love to do them and get to Wembley

• Upvote 1

I got this horrible feeling that it'll be like the time we had them In two games in quick succession and we did alright in the first one and were pretty pleased with ourselves then they tonked us 4-1. I could be reimagining how that went down though. Was one game in the cup and the other in the league?

I got this horrible feeling that it'll be like the time we had them In two games in quick succession and we did alright in the first one and were pretty pleased with ourselves then they tonked us 4-1. I could be reimagining how that went down though. Was one game in the cup and the other in the league?

The 4-1 defeat at Anfield came after a 0-0 draw in the group stages of the Champions League, and was then followed by another 0-0 draw I believe. Them scores may be wrong but they were deffo draws. There was also the time we lost to them in the FA Cup final then a few days later beat them like 4-1 at Anfield if that makes you feel better though