You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Redder Lurtz

4 hours ago, Jurgen Knows said:

No worries Vlad.

I believe most Liverpool fans don’t want the club to be owned by Saudi Arabia. 

I also believe most Newcastle fans didn’t want their club to be owned by Saudi Arabia before it happened. The fact that they somehow managed to reconcile their value system with the reality on the ground leads me to believe that their value system was built on hypocrisy and lies rather than solid foundations.

Most Newcastle fans would have been fine with Adolf Hitler being reincarnated and buying their club if it made them competitive. 

That was the perfect club for them to buy because there would be no opposition whatsoever.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Supremolad said:

Selective outrage in action. A few footballers and coaches leave the UK for Saudi Arabia to go get that "filthy oil money". Loads here and many more all over social media react strongly against it.

Meanwhile, the UK govt has been taking billions of pounds of that "filthy oil money", selling weapons to Saudi Arabia which is then used to bomb tiny Yemen. Barely a squeak about that on here or on social media. I guess Yemen isn't fashionable enough for many to get outraged about.

Screenshot_20230704_144446_Gallery.jpg

Well yeah that’s the reason the UK government pressured the Premier League into letting the Saudis take over Newcastle, even though all the clubs wanted them out, because of their murderous sports washing ways.

Labour also (but have probably gone back on it) said they would stop the sale of arms to Saudi, because of Yemen.

• Upvote 1

Selective outrage in action - part 2.

Below is the British Secretary in March 2023. UK govt strengthening military ties even more with Saudi Arabia and helping them advance Vision 2030. Basically a deal to take even more of that "filthy oil money". Where was the widespread outrage over this in March? Why are UK citizens not rejecting this blood money? Ignorance shouldn't be an excuse. UK-Saudi deals are often in the news.

If the claim is the UK govt doesn't represent your view, then you should also similarly accept that a large percentage of Saudi people don't also agree with the human rights abuses perpetuated by their regime.

Screenshot_20230705_092747_Gallery.jpg

1 minute ago, dave u said:

Most Newcastle fans would have been fine with Adolf Hitler being reincarnated and buying their club if it made them competitive. 

That was the perfect club for them to buy because there would be no opposition whatsoever.

That’s what happens when a value system is based on hypocrisy and lies.

Anybody ever look at the comments under those Romano Facebook posts about 'X player signs for Y club, here we go'?

Just hundreds of (I assume) African blokes posting about Ronaldo and Messi. I have no idea why I keep looking at them but it winds me up.

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, Supremolad said:

Selective outrage in action - part 2.

Below is the British Secretary in March 2023. UK govt strengthening military ties even more with Saudi Arabia and helping them advance Vision 2030. Basically a deal to take even more of that "filthy oil money". Where was the widespread outrage over this in March? Why are UK citizens not rejecting this blood money? Ignorance shouldn't be an excuse. UK-Saudi deals are often in the news.

If the claim is the UK govt doesn't represent your view, then you should also similarly accept that a large percentage of Saudi people don't also agree with the human rights abuses perpetuated by their regime.

Screenshot_20230705_092747_Gallery.jpg

While I’m not from your neck of the woods, I think most of the reason people are up in arms about sports washing on the football forum, has to do with the fact football is the main reason for people coming on here (not her). I’m fully aware that it’s possible to debate politics and other stuff on the general forum, but personally I don’t really post much on there.

Agree that spotlight and hypocrisy is  common around these subjects. Thing is, we often see our sporting heroes as something more or better (and someone we look up to) than our politicians, so are more shocked and sad when they inevitably make the same business decisions as those governing our countries.

Our footballing heroes are no moral beacons, that’s for sure. Fowler was the first real let-down for me with his landlord business, so his move to Saudi is completely in character. I’ve always thought both Carragher and Gerrard were knobheads for various reasons, so not surprised to see them being bitches of Sky and Saudi respectively. Was a bit  gutted when I learned that our Brazilians were Bolsanoro supporters, and the “set up my family and future families for life” excuse will surely be rolled out by Bobby and those others that will follow.

Money rule in both politics and sport. Probably always has, but I think it’s just getting more and more brazen and offensive. I properly hate the way football is going, but I strangely/actually feel a lot better about the oil countries/Saudis trying to buy players to get over there rather than buying clubs and ruining the competition over here. If that leads to a mass exodus - fine. There will still be enough footballers here to make it interesting.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Mook said:

Anybody ever look at the comments under those Romano Facebook posts about 'X player signs for Y club, here we go'?

Just hundreds of (I assume) African blokes posting about Ronaldo and Messi. I have no idea why I keep looking at them but it winds me up.

Same on Twitter… Penaldo finished. Ratio… Messi clear…. Weird cunts.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Mook said:

It does me.

Great players, of course, but a pair of boring cunts.

17 hours ago, Mook said:

The broken English and wild insults are what crease me with them wacky fuckers.

"Your mother is asshole of camel fleas and Real is the best. Barca are silent break of wind that smell eggs". As you say, on a story that has nothing to do with either club. Bit like them BTS fan freaks years ago jumping all over every YouTube video.

12 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Fuck me, that's grim.

I never stop being surprised about what already rich people are willing to do for money. But then again, as Lampard wrote in his autobiography, once he visited Abramovich’s yacht for the first time he thought “This is what being really rich looks like!”

Lifestyle inflation is real apparently.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

The greatest player in history checking out a couple of frozen pizzas at Publix.

r/InterMiami - Messi at Publix

The snap of Pele buying a Frey Bentos pie and a couple of Vesta ready meals in Kwik's was just as depressing.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1