You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Emre Can

WhiskeyJar

The mirror saying FSG wage structure to blame partly. They will only sanction a basic 75k for non marque signings. Can wants closer to Coutinho 160k.

He isn't worth that. But we can kiss goodbye to winning fuck all and any good players. So young unproven players that leave for a profit it is

Keita is definitely a upgrade but loosing a player for fuck all is stupidity. Should have sold him in the summer if they didn't think he would resign. Though i fully suspect Juve tapped him uo in thr summer and told him to run the deal down.

No issue with it on the whole. Just our stupidity not selling.

Still not a good sign that we will pay 75k max to non "marque' players. Plenty more years of buying to sell.

The mirror saying FSG wage structure to blame partly. They will only sanction a basic 75k for non marque signings. Can wants closer to Coutinho 160k.

He isn't worth that. But we can kiss goodbye to winning fuck all and any good players. So young unproven players that leave for a profit it is

How the fuck do you explain dejan fucking lovren on 100k then?

The reality is that when players are free transfers and in demand like Can will be they aren’t just going to receive a high wage, they will get a massive signing on fee as well because the club aren’t having to pay a transfer fee. Clubs can’t compete with that. If a players wants to run his contract down then he will do. The only options the club has is to stop playing him to try and force him to leave for a transfer fee or just get the value out of him on the pitch while he’s contracted.

You always see this “well we should have sold” type comments but the reality is that if you go to the market trying to shift a player he will have his own desires on where he wants to go and you won’t get what he’s worth. The sell him in January stuff is even more comical. If he’s ran his contract down to this point and will get a fat signing on fee why would he just write that off in January when he will get it in July and also have the pick of where he wants to go.

The club knew the position it was in. They’ve offered him contracts to try and tie him down and he’s rejected them. If they had sold him to anyone 2/3 years ago then we would also have had to replace him and as we’ve seen midfielders are not easy to find.

• Upvote 2

Keita is definitely a upgrade but loosing a player for fuck all is stupidity. Should have sold him in the summer if they didn't think he would resign. Though i fully suspect Juve tapped him uo in thr summer and told him to run the deal down.

No issue with it on the whole. Just our stupidity not selling.

Still not a good sign that we will pay 75k max to non "marque' players. Plenty more years of buying to sell.

Crap situation softened by the fact he's being replaced by a far superior player.

I'm quite pleased about how it turned out actually it seems to me that for once footballing decisions trumped financial ones.  Sure, we could have sold him and added to it to the pile of money we were having difficulty using anyway (or used it for Yacht Upgrades).  Would have left ourselves short in midfield, probably have had to bring in an unknown quantity until Keita arrived.  It would have been the moneyball thing to do that's for sure.  Instead we locked down Keita even though RBL weren't for budging one simple upgrade.

Sure, we failed to maximize our income, but that's FSGs problem, not the teams.

Down side is we have to put up with Can switching off in the defensive 1/3rd about as often a Lovren faux-pas, but hey you can't have it all.

Can has been playing levels below Wijnaldum and Henderson this season. When his head is in the game he’s a great player, but most of the time he’s slow, ponderous and poor on the ball. Wijnaldum gets a bad rap but he’s a really good player and our best midfielder right now, we really miss him when he’s out so I hope his injury isn’t too serious. Henderson is mostly pretty damn good too.

Henderson, Keita, Wijnaldum is an excellent midfield, although ideally I would like another top class player in there; especially if Coutinho leaves.

Can has been playing levels below Wijnaldum and Henderson this season. When his head is in the game he’s a great player, but most of the time he’s slow, ponderous and poor on the ball. Wijnaldum gets a bad rap but he’s a really good player and our best midfielder right now, we really miss him when he’s out so I hope his injury isn’t too serious. Henderson is mostly pretty damn good too.

Henderson, Keita, Wijnaldum is an excellent midfield, although ideally I would like another top class player in there; especially if Coutinho leaves.

Henderson and wijnaldum are average and Keita isn't here yet . I don't share your optimism. We need a new back 5 and 2 new midfielders to play with Keita if can and coutinho go.

I've come round somewhat to Wijnaldum compared to where I was in his first six months here (though I'm still not convinced he's good enough) but it completely baffles me how anyone can think of Henderson as anything other than average. The idea that he's got more to offer than Can is ridiculous to me. He's been here for 7 years for fuck sake and he's had one decent season.