You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Emre Can

WhiskeyJar

I've come round somewhat to Wijnaldum compared to where I was in his first six months here (though I'm still not convinced he's good enough) but it completely baffles me how anyone can think of Henderson as anything other than average. The idea that he's got more to offer than Can is ridiculous to me. He's been here for 7 years for fuck sake and he's had one decent season.

Henderson is far too good at passing the ball to be labelled average imo. He hasn’t been at his best often enough this season, and injuries have curtailed him somewhat in recent times, but I really do think he’s developed into a player, and his performances against the other top 6 sides over the past few years back up that claim.

Does he pass the buck too often against the park the bus teams? Definitely. Is he my ideal choice for captain? Nope.

He is a great pro, however, and has a long future here if he can sort out his performances against the dross of the league.

Can could be a far superior player, of course, but he seems to pay more attention to his hair than the game going on around him.

Can has been playing levels below Wijnaldum and Henderson this season. When his head is in the game he’s a great player, but most of the time he’s slow, ponderous and poor on the ball. Wijnaldum gets a bad rap but he’s a really good player and our best midfielder right now, we really miss him when he’s out so I hope his injury isn’t too serious. Henderson is mostly pretty damn good too.

Henderson, Keita, Wijnaldum is an excellent midfield, although ideally I would like another top class player in there; especially if Coutinho leaves.

I'd characterize him slightly differently.  20 Minutes playing above the levels of henderson and Gini, 20 Minutes playing at the level of Lovren and the rest meh.  He's 1% away from being great but he's had the same issue since the beginning and it hasn't improved one bit.  One day the penny will drop with him and he'll be brilliant.  But not for us it seems.

I'd characterize him slightly differently. 20 Minutes playing above the levels of henderson and Gini, 20 Minutes playing at the level of Lovren and the rest meh. He's 1% away from being great but he's had the same issue since the beginning and it hasn't improved one bit. One day the penny will drop with him and he'll be brilliant. But not for us it seems.

Completely agree. He’s the most frustrating player in the team because he’s on the cusp of world class ability but all too often seems a few steps behind in the general head/brain area. If he fixes that then Juve are getting a baller.

Emre is a fine player. He gets exceedingly harsh criticism for a player as young as he is. He has all the tools for a top midfielder, in particular his physicality and his fitness. The lads put in some of the finest CM displays I've seen for this club Arsenal at home this season, United and Villareal in the EL. Keeping Henderson and getting rid of Can is really upsetting.

I think we have slightly different interpretations of the word excellent. Let's just say I think that midfield is quite unlikely to end our title drought. And, by quite unlikely, I mean near to fuck all chance of it happening.

Henderson, Keita, Wijnaldum is as good as any midfield in this league.

We offered Can a new deal, several times. He didn’t accept. The club had two options - keep the player, and try to get him to sign a new deal, or sell the player. I’m glad we kept him as he adds to our current options and will be part of whatever we achieve this season.

We have an upgrade coming as I’m confident Keita offers a lot more than Can. I agree Keita, Wijnaldum and Henderson is a good midfield trio. I’d also like to see a bit more of Gruijic. When he plays for the U-23 side he looks a cut above.

If and when Coutinho leaves there will obviously be a big gap. This can be mitigated in one of a couple of ways. We could sign the best attacking midfielder we can attract from the Coutinho proceeds e.g. Lemar. Or we could use the money to sign a striker to go to the top of the pile e.g. Werner. I would favour the latter option, and then I’d use Firmino occasionally as a striker, but I’d probably look to play him a bit deeper to add creativity there. He’s not a wide player and we need to stop playing him there.

Anyhow, this is about Can. He didn’t sign a new deal. He’s maximizing his options by running his contract down. He will have his choice of clubs to go with a large signing bonus and an inflated wage because he’ll be on a free. It’s modern football, so good luck to him. Hopefully we reciprocate and sign Goretzka, another upgrade, in a similar fashion.

Can is a good player, but not so good that I’m particularly bothered over any of this.

Either we do release clauses or we don’t. The club is on the side of not doing them, so it helps us to hold on to players if we don’t want to/aren’t ready to let them go e.g. Coutinho.

Can is not nearly in Coutinho’s class so he’s having a laugh if he thinks he’s worth approximately Coutinho’s salary to us. And if he wanted a low release clause in his deal, then again, he’s having a laugh as that will be a benchmark that others will copy and it will damage the club.

I know it’s not de rigeur to praise the club, but in this instance they’ve shown strength and I’m glad they did. We will lose Emre, but he’s not so good that I’m crying about it.

• Upvote 1

If it’s true we won’t insert a release clause and that’s why he hasn’t signed an extension to his contract then we truly have cut our noses off to spite our face... ridiculous decision

No it really is not. Agree it for Can and do not be surprised when Mane, Salah, Firmino, Keita, Gomez, Brewster and every player other player we want to sign decides they will not sign unless they get their way and have a release clause. The real point is why does a player who publically states he wants to stay at Liverpool for years want an escape clause. Because that is what it is. And why do fans who want players to stay at the club want the club to give those players this escape clause, so they can complain at the club when the player decides to exercise it?

• Downvote 1

Henderson is far too good at passing the ball to be labelled average imo. He hasn’t been at his best often enough this season, and injuries have curtailed him somewhat in recent times, but I really do think he’s developed into a player, and his performances against the other top 6 sides over the past few years back up that claim.

Does he pass the buck too often against the park the bus teams? Definitely. Is he my ideal choice for captain? Nope.

He is a great pro, however, and has a long future here if he can sort out his performances against the dross of the league.

Can could be a far superior player, of course, but he seems to pay more attention to his hair than the game going on around him.

the problem is moofy lad he shows himself up to be the small club player he should be, raisimg his game when the big boys are in town and shits the bed when it becomes a physical battle, although he is not alone in that regard.

There isn't a single midfielder in the world you could add to Henderson and Wijnaldum to make it the best in the league.

Keita looks like an excellent player, but we'd still be streets behind Man City. If we kept Coutinho, and signed a top class defensive midfielder then we could have a great midfield three. 

Alas, we will not.

• Upvote 1

Hendo, Gini and Keita is the midfield of a team struggling to pip 4th. With Can and Coutinho leaving, we absolutely need to buy someone better than one of Hendo and Gini.

But I will say that if either of those two would be bench options, we'd be in a good spot.

Step forward Marko Gruijic.  The price is right!

• Upvote 1

Difficult to understand FSG's stance from a financial standpoint. Can will need to be replaced, so that will entail another transfer fee. £150k per week is about £40m over a five year contract. That money will only buy you a £20m player on £75k per week. I highly doubt we could upgrade on the player with that meagre outlay.

Difficult to understand FSG's stance from a financial standpoint. Can will need to be replaced, so that will entail another transfer fee. £150k per week is about £40m over a five year contract. That money will only buy you a £20m player on £75k per week. I highly doubt we could upgrade on the player with that meagre outlay.

putting all that to one side, would you like to keep can or would you happily have him replaced if possible?

i dont think he id good enough, although not the worst player in the team i see midfield as the most vital part of the team and as with the rest of our midfield he excels at nothing, 

putting all that to one side, would you like to keep can or would you happily have him replaced if possible?

i dont think he id good enough, although not the worst player in the team i see midfield as the most vital part of the team and as with the rest of our midfield he excels at nothing,

I'm doubtful we will improve on him, put it that way. He is still several years away from his peak, of course.