You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mignolet

Pureblood

Not sure Danny Ward has become Lev Yashin on here. That said he cannot be any worse than the two at the club supposedly higher up the pecking order. I would give Ward 4 or 5 games and see how he goes. After a couple of games everyone saw how bad Karius was. After 3 years everyone knows how bad Mignolet is. Give Ward a go Jurgen.

• Downvote 1

Not sure Danny Ward has become Lev Yashin on here. That said he cannot be any worse than the two at the club supposedly higher up the pecking order. I would give Ward 4 or 5 games and see how he goes. After a couple of games everyone saw how bad Karius was. After 3 years everyone knows how bad Mignolet is. Give Ward a go Jurgen.

I was being a bit facetious there but there's certainly been a bit of a clamour for him to be picked. I actually think that's a reasonable view tbh, but I just think it's out of the frying pan into the fire with all these and even though I've been a huge critic of him, I think I'd probably give Karius another go before Ward, who looks pretty average to me. I don't see Klopp giving Ward the jersey either, so it feels like a moot point. 

We will not know if he is poo or not until he plays, just like we did with Karius. If he is shit, we will soon know it. Did he look shit against Leicester? I do not think so. Karius looks shit scared every time he plays to me. If Jurgen is going to play Gomez with Matip there may be a case to play Mignolet rather than Gomez with Ward but by the same token Jurgen is between a rock and a hard place now with his defensive selections.

• Downvote 1

It would be a bad use of stats if he wasn't statistically one of the worst shot-stoppers in the league for the past 4 years.

I don't believe this is the case when you take chance quality into account, from memory he is a bit below average when you do that, but I think the models underestimate the quality of chances we concede anyway, and if you go further back to include Sunderland, he's about average

I get his point about the size of the data set (he is spot on statty stuff)-- probs with Si is the size of the data shit. And we probably need a keeper who is better than slightly below average regardless of what time period you try to analyze. You dont steal points in that position over the course of the season with that level - we need to start stealing points to stay in the top 4.

If we go back to the 1980's we win the league Wooly. Certainly a couple of seasons is enough in that position - times change quickly.

Save percentage is a really shit stat to use as it can show massive variance season to season which means you should use as much data as possible to have an idea of how good someone is at shotstopping.

Chart in this shows this visually reasonably well I think https://statsbomb.com/2014/05/are-some-goalkeepers-better-at-saving-shots-than-others/

At this point in 2014, Mignolet was slightly above average, now he will be below average, possibly approaching the lower black line, but as I said in my last post, when you include the quality of chances, he will bump up towards the average

• Upvote 1

I get his point about the size of the data set (he is spot on statty stuff)-- probs with Si is the size of the data shit. And we probably need a keeper who is better than slightly below average regardless of what time period you try to analyze. You dont steal points in that position over the course of the season with that level - we need to start stealing points to stay in the top 4.

No, the problem with Mignolet is that his goalkeeping has been consistently below average for years when you watch our games.

The stats just confirm it.

• Upvote 1

I get his point about the size of the data set (he is spot on statty stuff)-- probs with Si is the size of the data shit. And we probably need a keeper who is better than slightly below average regardless of what time period you try to analyze. You dont steal p[points in that position over the course of the season with that level - we need to start stealing points to stay in the top 4.

I would also like a better than average keeper, problem is there is not a stand out, clear top class keeper who isn't already at a top club, so there is a real risk we end up wasting money swapping one average keeper for another (As we've perhaps seen with Karius)