You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rodgers: We'll keep attacking

WhiskeyJar

If training could fix it, it'd be fixed already. Don't you think that somebody might have told Skrtel or Agger, both experienced 29 year olds who Captain their country, that they should work on these things? If it was a matter of training, the question is why have several top managers and coaching staff failed to work on it?

It is the player's awareness and ability, not their training. They have strengths in other areas, but not the ones that keep letting us down.

Have to disagree to a degree because under Kenny they were pretty much bang on as a partnership. Unfortunately they are making mistakes in their penalty boxes at the minute and its not that far for the opposition to shoot at goal from there.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Have to disagree to a degree because under Kenny they were pretty much bang on as a partnership. Unfortunately they are making mistakes in their penalty boxes at the minute and its not that far for the opposition to shoot at goal from there.

They weren't, though. I've heard this several times and I addressed it earlier. I've heard from several different posters that they were really good or how the defence was superb under Kenny and Clarke. We'd only conceded 9 fewer goals (whilst scoring 40 more!) than this season, and we didn't have anything like the injuries we've had this. The problems were there before Kenny, before Hodgson. We couldn't defend set-pieces then either. It shouldn't be forgotten that Carra had 27 starts that season, too. So those 9 fewer goals shouldn't be attributed to some mega-partnership between the two. They've never been good at crosses or balls in the air, or marking players. Now that they're asked to play in a system where they don't have two DMs doing some of their work for them, they're badly exposed. Just how I see it, mate. Agree with you about mistakes in the penalty area though. You can't really 'coach' mistakes out of players. You can drill them, and at 29 they'll have been through every drill about, but you can't rely on them to do the right thing at the right time.

Might be down to the fact we only played one striker.

When both Suarez and Sturridge are in the team we've conceded 1.57 goals / game.

When just one of them has played we've conceded 1 goal a game exactly.

On the other hand:

We've scored exactly 3 goals a game when both play, and only 2.15 goals a game when just one of them does.

We've basically won the same amount of games when we've played with just one striker or with both, but despite the defence being more solid have lost 4 and drawn 1 with one striker compared with drawn 4 and lost 1 when both have played.

Nice stat placement Jose..

They weren't, though. I've heard this several times and I addressed it earlier. I've heard from several different posters that they were really good or how the defence was superb under Kenny and Clarke. We'd only conceded 9 fewer goals (whilst scoring 40 more!) than this season, and we didn't have anything like the injuries we've had this. The problems were there before Kenny, before Hodgson. We couldn't defend set-pieces then either. It shouldn't be forgotten that Carra had 27 starts that season, too. So those 9 fewer goals shouldn't be attributed to some mega-partnership between the two. They've never been good at crosses or balls in the air, or marking players. Now that they're asked to play in a system where they don't have two DMs doing some of their work for them, they're badly exposed. Just how I see it, mate. Agree with you about mistakes in the penalty area though. You can't really 'coach' mistakes out of players. You can drill them, and at 29 they'll have been through every drill about, but you can't rely on them to do the right thing at the right time.

Injuries are a factor, hence why I'm reluctant to criticise. But I don't believe players stop learning at a certain age, especially not 29 year old defenders. I'm not claiming they would be perfect, or fixed, but if there's a chance it can be improved upon with additional expertise and hard work then I can't see why that wouldn't be encouraged.

Rodgers has his style: Rodgeball. Keep it coming. It's giving us the best season in the league in ages. 

As for the way the team will develop, I suspect we will bring in a new central defender to play alongside Sakho for the long haul. I saw that we were linked with Richards at Man City. Whether or not he will be the player, I think Rodgers wants to make sure his central defenders will win most of their 1v1 battles. Our attacking bias leaves us a bit more open, so our central defenders are going to have to weather the storm a bit more, and that means more 1v1 tussles, which we have to win. 

It was telling that Agger was hauled off at the weekend because Bony was dominating him. He will be off in the summer. 

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Injuries are a factor, hence why I'm reluctant to criticise. But I don't believe players stop learning at a certain age, especially not 29 year old defenders. I'm not claiming they would be perfect, or fixed, but if there's a chance it can be improved upon with additional expertise and hard work then I can't see why that wouldn't be encouraged.

Surely we have tried? In the years they've been here?

Rodgers has his style: Rodgeball. Keep it coming. It's giving us the best season in the league in ages. 

As for the way the team will develop, I suspect we will bring in a new central defender to play alongside Sakho for the long haul. I saw that we were linked with Richards at Man City. Whether or not he will be the player, I think Rodgers wants to make sure his central defenders will win most of their 1v1 battles. Our attacking bias leaves us a bit more open, so our central defenders are going to have to weather the storm a bit more, and that means more 1v1 tussles, which we have to win. 

It was telling that Agger was hauled off at the weekend because Bony was dominating him. He will be off in the summer.

Richards would be a great signing for our squad and I could see it happening as hes best mates with studge and isn't getting a look on at city.

He could cover for the cb and rb positions for us, he is a beast in the air which would help with set pieces and he is very fast.

Ive always thought he has the potential to be a top player but he has not proved that yet, Id take him for 8m tops and would like to see a deal done.