You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

There is something wrong with our defence

Pureblood

I wanted Williams at Liverpool - Rodgers

Brendan Rodgers was alongside Jamie Carragher on MNF last night analysing Swansea’s 1-0 victory over Watford.

Ashley Williams was the topic of much discussion after helped the Swans to a clean sheet.

And Rodgers admitted he wanted the defender to join him at Anfield.

He said: “He’s a top, top centre-half. I’ve always felt he could play for one of the very top clubs in the league. He’s been very loyal to Swansea. He’s a wonderful player and always plays over 40 games a season — every season. He can defend, is strong and deals with all types of strikers. What makes him stand out is that he’s immaculate on the ball. He’s a massive player for Swansea,”

I wanted to take him to Liverpool. He’s one of the few breeds in that he’s a leader — managers and coaches are looking for leaders on the field and in the game.

“You saw it tonight, when the ball goes into the box he gets his head on it. Every single game he’s up for. I think he’s an incredible player.”

read for this. once carra left I hadn't a fucking clue about defending but I knew if I could get williams he d sort it out and I wouldn't have to worry about it.

I wanted Williams at Liverpool - Rodgers

Brendan Rodgers was alongside Jamie Carragher on MNF last night analysing Swansea’s 1-0 victory over Watford.

Ashley Williams was the topic of much discussion after helped the Swans to a clean sheet.

And Rodgers admitted he wanted the defender to join him at Anfield.

He said: “He’s a top, top centre-half. I’ve always felt he could play for one of the very top clubs in the league. He’s been very loyal to Swansea. He’s a wonderful player and always plays over 40 games a season — every season. He can defend, is strong and deals with all types of strikers. What makes him stand out is that he’s immaculate on the ball. He’s a massive player for Swansea,”

I wanted to take him to Liverpool. He’s one of the few breeds in that he’s a leader — managers and coaches are looking for leaders on the field and in the game.

“You saw it tonight, when the ball goes into the box he gets his head on it. Every single game he’s up for. I think he’s an incredible player.”

Why would Rodgers bring somebody in who had such a poor attitude to one of the greatest players we've ever had? Just not worth it. Anyway, there's probably a reason why Williams is towards the end of his career and never played for a big club, wouldn't be expecting Rodgers to deduce it though.

Fella loses me at times as he over elaborates but i think what he is getting at here is we are a little team of shithouses...

http://tomkinstimes.com/2016/01/klopp-given-the-smallest-liverpool-squad-ever/

Not really, seems more like we on average lack height, pace and to some degree, skill. Even though I personally would support the idea that we to a large degree also lack mental strenght and winning mentality.

What is he supposed to do - drag his ass and Buvac out there to play in the back?

We have two options atm - shit and shitter.

All of our defenders have played to a decent standard at a high level.  How hard could it be to coach full-backs into stopping crosses coming in or to coach centre-backs into challenging for (and, who knows, maybe even winning) headers?

I'm not saying it's all down to the manager and the coaching staff - for example, Moreno's penalty fuck-up today was all his own work - but if the problems appear to stem from a lack of organisation or players not knowing what they're supposed to be doing... well, that's what coaching is all about, isn't it.

@ Aot -- all may have played at a decent standard next to better players - put them together and this is it. A bunch of decent players playing to mid table level.

We have a fullback from Southampton (relegation zone), a 45 year old Ivorian warrior - a solid athlete who has not yet learned when to clear his lines and a fella who would look good in the middle of La Liga.

That IS the back four.

I'd keep Clyne and improve on the other three positions in the back four. The Mignolet contract situation doesn't fill me with confidence in that regard, though.

We might be a club struggling to score, but our centre halves always have a goal or three in them.

@ Aot -- all may have played at a decent standard next to better players - put them together and this is it. A bunch of decent players playing to mid table level.

We have a fullback from Southampton (relegation zone), a 45 year old Ivorian warrior - a solid athlete who has not yet learned when to clear his lines and a fella who would look good in the middle of La Liga.

That IS the back four.

Today's back four was an England international (from a club that hasn't seen the relegation zone for aeons); a former title-winner with two different clubs; a  French league winning captain; and a UEFA Cup winner.  They performed no better or worse than any of the other combinations we have seen under two managers.  

I don't for a second imagine that, man-for-man, our defenders are less talented than those at Stoke, West Brom, Swansea, or any of the other rubbish teams who have conceded fewer goals than us.  I don't believe that our defenders are performing to the best of their ability; I want to see all of them do better.  I get frustrated, because I'm not in a position to do anything to get better performances out of them; that's the job of the manager and coaches - and, of course, of the players themselves.

Today's back four was an England international (from a club that hasn't seen the relegation zone for aeons); a former title-winner with two different clubs; a French league winning captain; and a UEFA Cup winner. They performed no better or worse than any of the other combinations we have seen under two managers.

I don't for a second imagine that, man-for-man, our defenders are less talented than those at Stoke, West Brom, Swansea, or any of the other rubbish teams who have conceded fewer goals than us. I don't believe that our defenders are performing to the best of their ability; I want to see all of them do better. I get frustrated, because I'm not in a position to do anything to get better performances out of them; that's the job of the manager and coaches - and, of course, of the players themselves.

I'm not convinced that the defensive options of Stoke/West Brom/Swansea and a few other average sides are any worse than ours, and that's the problem. Our centre halves today wouldn't get within a donkey's roar of a Houllier or Benitez set-up. The absent Lovren and Skrtel (as he's played for the last few years) wouldn't either.

Today's back four was an England international (from a club that hasn't seen the relegation zone for aeons); a former title-winner with two different clubs; a  French league winning captain; and a UEFA Cup winner.  They performed no better or worse than any of the other combinations we have seen under two managers.  

I don't for a second imagine that, man-for-man, our defenders are less talented than those at Stoke, West Brom, Swansea, or any of the other rubbish teams who have conceded fewer goals than us.  I don't believe that our defenders are performing to the best of their ability; I want to see all of them do better.  I get frustrated, because I'm not in a position to do anything to get better performances out of them; that's the job of the manager and coaches - and, of course, of the players themselves.

I dont think you are giving an honest appraisal of the individual talents of that back four today, nor are you taking into account the way those teams you mention set up. But that is allright.

For me - Clyne can do a job and Sakho could if he would learn when and where to try play football.

I dont think you are giving an honest appraisal of the individual talents of that back four today, nor are you taking into account the way those teams you mention set up. But that is allright.

For me - Clyne can do a job and Sakho could if he would learn when and where to try play football.

I was bigging them up just to give a contrast to your overly negative appraisal.  I'd like to see some/most/all of them replaced (depending on my mood) but in the meantime, I want to see drastic improvements from all of them, because they are not some cobbled-together bunch of cast-offs from League One; they are professionals with experience of playing regularly in Europe's biggest leagues.