You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

There is something wrong with our defence

Pureblood

*dons flak jacket*

My honest opinion is that you spent so long attacking last season that you've forgotten how to defend. And that's a similar story at City.

You have a style, and it's a great one going forward. Last season it won you most games. You'd score more than the opposition, and it made for fantastic viewing.

But if the goals dry up, or you face better team and find yourself having to defend, you're rusty as hell.

I'm not one to sing Chelsea's praises, but they can play both ways... in a manner Liverpool (and City) can't. They can park the bus when they need to, and they can attack when they need to.

In that respect, but City and Liverpool are one trick ponies.

Last year, Liverpool usually started games well, and often scored. If a team managed to get an equaliser, Liverpool would come back and get two more. Effectively they said 'that's what you get if you come at us... we'll kill you on the break'. So teams would be reluctant to come at you.

At the moment you don't have that. There's nobody up front to punish the opposition for trying to have a go at you. So inevitably, they'll keep having a go at you... and the team have just gotten out of practice at dealing with it.

- Honest opinion. I suspect some won't like it, but it's fair view I'd say.

• Upvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Whoever started the thread "Do we have chronic and insurmountable defensive issues?" was asking a valid question, in my opinion.

insurmountable? Not at all. Should have bought Fernando and Matic, isn't it?

• Downvote 1

Sadly, Agger had blown up before the end of last season.  He'd gone as a top class defender.

Agreed. People are forgetting that he looked awful at times. And before anyone says that this was down to Rodgers' defensive ineptitude rubbing off on him, Rodgers does not have the ability to make a player suddenly unable to beat Roberto fucking Soldado in a race having had a five yard head start on him.

Whoever started the thread "Do we have chronic and insurmountable defensive issues?" was asking a valid question, in my opinion.

Well, it's a question, but it's a silly one.  Defensive issues can be resolved.  Therefore, they are not insurmountable.  We just do not appear to be making any effort to do so.  

• Upvote 1

Defensive issues can indeed be resolved. However our defensive woes have gone on for an unacceptably long period of time now, suggesting that Brendan Rodgers doesnt seem able to get to grips with the problem. Hence the urgent need for a defensive coach worth his salt.

Meanwhile, we have Hull City and Newcastle coming up. Would love nothing more than a couple of good wins and clean sheets but we know thats not going to happen, we have no cutting edge and what with our shaky (kindest word I can think of) defence's serious and ongoing issues I would not be in the least bit surprised if we only get 2 points from those two games.

After that will come the small matter of a trip to the Bernabeu. Barring a miracle, I foresee Madrid, with Bale back, and with no distracting game immediately following, giving us the kind of dry bumming that'll make the 3-0 at Anfield seem like a handshake by comparison.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Not sure how Fernando would make Rodgers suddenly capable of sorting out a watertight defence, or give Mignolet some testicular fortitude, but whatever floats your boat.

*shakes head*

It wo...

Actually, you'll never get it.

• Upvote 1

Our defence is terrible, there's no getting away from that/  It's been terrible for the longest time.  But the midfield has been poor for the last 18 months or more, and because we've lost the movement and threat from the attack, the midfield needs to step up.  If they're offering no protection for the defence, no supply to the attack, no goal threat, and no ability to retain the ball, then fixing the defence in isolation isn't really going to improve matters that much.

Our defence is terrible, there's no getting away from that/ It's been terrible for the longest time. But the midfield has been poor for the last 18 months or more, and because we've lost the movement and threat from the attack, the midfield needs to step up. If they're offering no protection for the defence, no supply to the attack, no goal threat, and no ability to retain the ball, then fixing the defence in isolation isn't really going to improve matters that much.

Apart from it not being ideal to change too much at once anyway fixing the defence would be a start, a bloody good one. For years we've been told by anyone with a good knowledge of the game "start at the back" and that beautifully went out of the window last year, but it won us nothing, it's clearly not sustainable and will probably never win us anything. So Brendan needs a slight re-think, and a little bit of help. I hope he's not too arrogant to accept that.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

The defence needs protection from midfield. The defence needs to stop making so many stupid, basic errors. Johnson can fuck off. Skrtel can follow him, too. Mignolet either needs to sort his shit out or take his brilliant saves and shit everything else elsewhere. What doesn't need to happen is us to change the way the back four operates, just how they react to situations - individual not structural. The vast majority of the goals we concede fall into that category. If they had 2008 Alonso and Mascherano in from of them, they'd look a lot less shaky. Get a midfield set-up that understands how to defend, get Sakho in the back four, get somebody who can actually organise a defence in there next to him, and then we'll be much better. That's without even thinking about tactical changes or this fucking annoying 'get a defence coach' thing that seems to have caught on like wildfire.