You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

People moan when we over-pay and they moan when we show some backbone and do not over-pay.

Is there anyone with enough sanity left to see that FSG are doing all they can to bring players in but will not be bullied in over-paying expensive transfers?

Who the fuck are FSG or Ayre to determine what a player is 'worth'?

What is the point of hiring a manager if you don't wholly trust in his judgement?

It's a judgement call on their part. Well, the committee's part. They'll have been advising FSG. If he foes to Chelsea and pulls a Torres, they'll look vindicated. If he goes and rips the league a new arsehole, they'll look like mugs. It's the same with Carroll. Had they said no, great. Had they said no to Coutinho and he went to Spurs, we'd have looked mad.

I'm just disappointed that Rodgers didn't get the player he wanted. That said, if I was in the same position, with Spurs coming in and then agents asking for more money, I might have told them to fuck off. Either way, it's a big 10 days coming up.

I would love to know who is in this committee. So far we have;

Two absentee American baseball fanatics.

A commercial director with less footballing experience than my nephew.

A bunch of scouts from Man City who've done such a shit job of scouting that our main target ended up being a player somebody was trying their hardest to flog around Europe in a fire sale.

Has to be, but they apparently paying it in instalments over five years like a Brighthouse deal. I dont know how that works with FFP. Not that any of the clubs will be giving a damn about that anymore(apart from us).

I was sure that Spurs wanted it upfront otherwise all the different deals they've done will be coming out over 5 years aswell

No wonder Rodgers is pissed off. He's sat back and watched players leave who he wanted to keep, so that we could afford to bring in some top players, but it hasn't happened.

He has a squad that is no stronger than the one he finished last season with and he has no guarantee of that changing in the next 11 days. Indeed, if past experience is anything to go by, he won't get what he needs until January.

All of this whilst the owners are quoted as saying that we can get top four. I knew this situation was boiling up and would come to the surface, the signs have been there for a few weeks now.

This recruitment team, or whatever bullshit name they want to give themselves, simply hasn't delivered this summer and they need to pull their fingers out in the next 11 days. It's all well and good moaning about costs etc but the recruitment teams job is to identify realistic targets and then bring them in. They have months and months to do their work so I expect them to be fully prepared to deal with whatever situations arise and I expect them to give the manager the tools that he needs to achieve the objectives that the owners set.

That's just not how it's working right now.

Who the fuck are FSG or Ayre to determine what a player is 'worth'?

What is the point of hiring a manager if you don't wholly trust in his judgement?

Exactly the reason that FSG went for Rodgers.

Could you really imagine Van Gaal, Benitez or Dalglish being as soft as this if they didn't get the right backing?

FSG fucked up massively with the Carroll and Downing deals, and are now fucking up by refusing to back a different manager.

This recruitment team, or whatever bullshit name they want to give themselves, simply hasn't delivered this summer and they need to pull their fingers out in the next 11 days. It's all well and good moaning about costs etc but the recruitment teams job is to identify realistic targets and then bring them in. They have months and months to do their work so I expect them to be fully prepared to deal with whatever situations arise and I expect them to give the manager the tools that he needs to achieve the objectives that the owners set.

If we don't improve the team, people need to be fired. Im sorry but what the fuck else do they do all year? Its fucking astounding that we're in this position, once again.

Exactly the reason that FSG went for Rodgers.

Could you really imagine Van Gaal, Benitez or Dalglish being as soft as this if they didn't get the right backing?

FSG fucked up massively with the Carroll and Downing deals, and are now fucking up by refusing to back a different manager.

I'd hope it wasn't but I think there is merit in that argument - after all, its what I was saying last year when I was seething with us being left with Sterling and Suso up front.

I have a lot of time for Rodgers but he has no chance - and its through little fault of his own if we're left with this squad. People can talk about Alberto and so on but I fully believe he sanctioned those signings thinking that two, possibly three top quality players were coming in.

Liverpool ready to rebuff any Real Madrid transfer bid for Luis Suárez

• Anfield braced for late approach for unsettled striker

• Manager says any deal would be 'difficult' to countenance

(Yeah. Echos of the Carroll prediction from Rodger last summer)

Brendan Rodgers has said Liverpool are prepared for a Real Madrid bid for Luis Suárez but has reiterated John W Henry's claim that the striker will not be sold.

The Liverpool manager has endured a frustrating this summer and in addition to the Suárez situation he did not hide his disappointment that the club failed to land Willian from Anzhi Makhachkala. The Brazil midfielder's future is unresolved, with Chelsea making a late play for the Tottenham Hotspur target. The 25-year-old is understood to have had a medical at Spurs on Tuesday but there is anxiety at White Hart Lane that the £30m target is slipping through their fingers.

Chelsea have made a firm move for Willian and should they succeed – and it is looking increasingly likely – it would raise questions about José Mourinho's existing attacking midfielders, chief among them Juan Mata. (Hate to say I told yas so)

Henry, Liverpool's principal owner, stated a fortnight ago that the club would not entertain any offers from Arsenal or a European team for Suárez and none have been received since. But with Arsenal switching their focus from the Uruguay international to Real's Karim Benzema, and the Spanish club holding a long-standing interest in the Liverpool striker, Rodgers is anticipating a belated approach from Real, who are also close to agreeing a world record £86m deal for Tottenham's Gareth Bale.

Real have always been Suárez's preferred destination and relations with Rodgers were strained when he accused the Liverpool manager of breaking promises over his future in a Guardian interview. But having missed out on a major summer signing for the third time this week, and confirming that Liverpool's pursuit of Willian collapsed for financial reasons, Rodgers says the club cannot accept any late moves for Suárez.

Asked if he expected Real to formalise their interest with an offer before the transfer window deadline of 2 September, the Liverpool manager said: "I'm sure there will be plenty of activity in these last number of days. It is what it is and we will deal with it like we have during the summer.

"It's very difficult at this time (for a Suárez bid to succeed). We are trying to get one or two more quality players in through the door. If we lose Luis at this stage it would be difficult to replace him. There might have been a point a few months ago where there was time to do it but with 11 days to go it would be difficult to replace him."

Arsène Wenger said his pursuit of the Liverpool striker had ended following Arsenal's win over Fenerbahce in the Champions League play-off on Wednesday. With the club's move for Manchester United's Wayne Rooney also looking impossible, he has turned his attention back towards long-time target Benzema.

Ironically, Suárez could hold the key to Arsenal's hopes after they failed with bids of £35m and £40,000,001 for the 26-year-old. Real would not sell their only senior No9, having already moved Gonzalo Higuaín to Napoli, unless they could sign a big-name replacement and Arsenal hope that Real could yet take Suárez, despite Liverpool's insistence that they will not sell.

Benzema, though, is a favourite of the Real president Florentino Peréz and it is unclear whether he would fancy a move to Arsenal. The London club have struggled thus far for a high-level transfer breakthrough, having found that they need others to do business in order to unlock the stalemate.

Liverpool's interest in Willian ceased after Fenway Sports Group refused to pay above their valuation. The Anfield club were close to a £30m deal at the weekend only for an improved package from Spurs to prompt the owners to withdraw.

Rodgers said: "We identify the targets and then try and get the deal done financially. That's how it was. The club pushed as hard as they felt they could financially but it wasn't to be. "It's the owners' money and they will always have the final say because it's they who run the club. What they have taken on here is a huge job. You have seen over the last few years they will finance a project we are trying to develop and what we have to make sure of is we get the right players and the value and worth of the player is right. It's disappointing because this was a player who would have been perfect for us. It wasn't a football reason [why the deal collapsed] and I don't really want to go into it. That's for us as a club really. The bottom line is he hasn't come here for whatever reason and we move on."

Rodgers said only a week ago that Champions League qualification was a realistic demand of Liverpool but, should Spurs strengthen, he concedes the task will become even harder.

"The challenge is the same. This week hasn't changed it. What it has done is reinforced the clubs that are already in there," he said.

"Chelsea have won the Champions League and spent millions upon millions, Tottenham could spend up to 90-odd million and they are outside the Champions League. For us it is a huge, huge challenge, there's no doubt about that. But I don't want to be defeatist. We can't accept that. There's no doubt quality will cost you money. We just have to try to ensure we can get quality through the door and that will give us a chance for fourth. But make no mistake about it, it's a big ask and a big challenge"

So, brace yourselfs.

Yeah, it would be a monumental fuck up but theyve did it to themselves, if Arsenal go all out for Benzema (And its a big if, they'll probably offer Arteta plus two free tickets to see a Jim Davidson show at the london palladium. Restricted view.) Barca and Real get into a bidding war for Suarez or one of them offers us silly money it could happen.

Hard to see that occuring myself so the owners probably wont get the chance anyway.

So, is the Guardian implying that Chelsea might sell Mata? where is Mata going?

I'm glad we did not sign any germanoid, they smell and they are ugly.

Spurs most likely. Unless Rodgers fancies him and the fans start revolting against FSG for general fuckary so they have no choice but to back him.

So, is the Guardian implying that Chelsea might sell Mata? where is Mata going?

I'm glad we did not sign any germanoid, they smell and they are ugly.

not to anyone outside the Champions League unfortunately! I reckon he'd probably end up at the Mancs which would be a shame

if we got him we'd be top 4 in no time but no chance

Maybe Benzema will swap with Suarez? (+15-20mil or something.) And we'll go for it partly to fuck Arsenal over in spectacular fashion? Wouldn't be surprised. We clearly have to get another striker in though if he leaves and should hold them off until that's sorted out. Maybe we could do a Spurs too and sign right up until the end and the money is spent if there's no swap, then let Luis go?

Personally I hope it happens. This is the one club Luis actually wanted to go to at the start of all this, and if we can sort out a replacement then I'm happy if he makes it.

Edited by Red Phoenix

Spurs most likely. Unless Rodgers fancies him and the fans start revolting against FSG for general fuckary so they have no choice but to back him.

Why/how would/could FSG be cornered like that by their Yesman? They are not going to sign anybody and their appreciators will reproduce their typical bullshit across Liverpool forums when this sad transfer window shuts.

"I don't wanna"

"I don't wanna"

"I don't wanna"

Tom Werner about 2 years ago on 5 Live.

Always stuck in my mind.

Every time the gal interviewing him put him on the spot about investment, he prefaced nearly every answer with the above.

They don't wanna.

They are milking the host.

I bet Suarez goes abroad next week.

Maybe Benzema will swap with Suarez? (+15-20mil or something.) And we'll go for it partly to fuck Arsenal over in spectacular fashion? Wouldn't be surprised. We clearly have to get another striker in though if he leaves and should hold them off until that's sorted out. Maybe we could do a Spurs too and sign right up until the end and the money is spent if there's no swap, then let Luis go?

Personally I hope it happens. This is the one club Luis actually wanted to go to at the start of all this, and if we can sort out a replacement then I'm happy if he makes it.

I don't think Benzema will leave Real Madrid for a non-CL team like us. Surely Arsenal with sleeping bag countryman Wenger in charge would be a more desirable place for him.

Seems to me from Rodgers quotes that there is a disconnect between the recruitment team - i.e. Rodgers & the ex-City scouts (and perhaps Ayre) and the owners. The recruitment guys have identified players they want, but then the owners are setting different values when it comes to the crunch.

Perhaps telling that Ayre - on the recruitment team - wasn't doing the negotiations for Willian? Just in case he bought him.