You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

Seems to me like it's a complete mess. Dempsey, Mkhitaryan, Costa, Willian... how many times? A casual observer like me would say FSG are leading Rodgers a merry dance.

Indeed.

It doesn't make any sense though. Why would you deliberately undermine the manager? Why not just tell him what you want - even if it is cost cutting tight arsedness - and then let him deal with it?

If it's all for showboating the fans, well that's not working either.

Who the fuck are FSG or Ayre to determine what a player is 'worth'?

They are:

a) the guys whose money it is.

b) the guys who made billions determining the worth of commodities in volatile markets

c) the guys who previously exercised 0 oversight when football guys were given 100m+ to spend.

What is the point of hiring a manager if you don't wholly trust in his judgement?

Do they not trust his judgment or do they not trust his ability to value a player in the midst of everything else. We are not a football team anymore, we are a "businessfootballsponsorshipselling" team now.

They are:

a) the guys whose money it is..

Sure, the club makes no money. It's all FSG's money. Even the new TV rights deal is a lie. It's the secret money injected by FSG as a TV deal.

So far though the club has made £5m profit for FSG only from transfers. Just saying...

I don't think Benzema will leave Real Madrid for a non-CL team like us. Surely Arsenal with sleeping bag countryman Wenger in charge would be a more desirable place for him.

Yeah was just thinking that in this case we'd have a striker as swap and FSG also get to save face, seeing as their main reason was that it was too late in the window. Not sure if Benzema would join us, but at the same time maybe he'd consider it a hackable move if we could convince him we were showing enough ambition. That last part has to be called into question at this stage, but maybe something will change there if we know there's an extra 15-20 mil as part of a deal like that.

It probably won't happen but if Benzema would consider it maybe it's not so surreal.

They are:

a) the guys whose money it is.

b) the guys who made billions determining the worth of commodities in volatile markets

c) the guys who previously exercised 0 oversight when football guys were given 100m+ to spend.

Do they not trust his judgment or do they not trust his ability to value a player in the midst of everything else. We are not a football team anymore, we are a "businessfootballsponsorshipselling" team now.

a) Irrelevant to their ability to spot what a good player is, and what that player is worth. They should have forecasted the amount of money they wanted to spend, which the manager works within. Its quite simple: "Brendan. You have £xm net. Do your best, we expect serious progress. Thanks, Americans."

b) Are you joking?

c) Oh, you mean when they last exercised bad judgement? When they were duped by a fraud whom they believed had outstanding footballing expertise? Pretty much confirms that they know fuck all - nobody on this forum would have sanctioned them ridiculous deals. The solution to hiring a fucking moron is hiring somebody competent, not hiring somebody competent and then treating him like a fucking moron.

What is the difference between "trust his judgment" and "trust his ability to value a player in the midst of everything else"? There is none. They don't trust his judgement, and they really trust Ayre's.

We are not a football team anymore

Unfortunately it seems that we aren't. Therefore, they can fuck off.

Its quite funny really the day of the presser for the weekends match, this Real Madrid story comes out. Which just so happens to be reported by LFC's current favourite journos.

Hey look Real Madrid, Suarez is still here....... Look he is still here....... Look here he is........ But But ...But he is not for sale...... No Oh No ....... Whats that £55 mill + ...... oohh look there he goes on the plane.

a) Irrelevant to their ability to spot what a good player is, and what that player is worth. They should have forecasted the amount of money they wanted to spend, which the manager works within. Its quite simple: "Brendan. You have £xm net. Do your best, we expect serious progress. Thanks, Americans."

b) Are you joking?

c) Oh, you mean when they last exercised bad judgement? When they were duped by a fraud whom they believed had outstanding footballing expertise? Pretty much confirms that they know fuck all - nobody on this forum would have sanctioned them ridiculous deals. The solution to hiring a fucking moron is hiring somebody competent, not hiring somebody competent and then treating him like a fucking moron.

What is the difference between "trust his judgment" and "trust his ability to value a player in the midst of everything else"? There is none. They don't trust his judgement, and they really trust Ayre's.

Unfortunately it seems that we aren't. Therefore, they can fuck off.

He's a football guy, so they trust him on football stuff, on valuation, the "Joe Allen, 15m? I'd have paid a whole lot more" type stuff, not so much.

They got stung and put some rules in place so we don't get into a financial willy waving competitions with teams who just got a 100m windfall. Boooooo!!!!

A manager identifies a target he believes would benefit the team and is in our price range' date=' the price rises to a point that those holding the purse strings [b']deem it poor business[/b], everyone shifts attention to another target.

Beyond the manager being disapointed, is this really a unique occurence?

On what parameters do they deem it poor business?

I'd honestly love to know how they can possible deem whether it is poor business.

By all accounts Willian is still in our price range, the owners have just shat themselves because of the last time they trusted somebody to spend over £30m. Punishing the team and our manager for their own incompetence.

A manager identifies a target he believes would benefit the team and is in our price range' date='[b'] the price rises to a point that those holding the purse strings deem it poor business[/b], everyone shifts attention to another target.

Beyond the manager being disapointed, is this really a unique occurence?

What do the Americans know about football.

He's a football guy, so they trust him on football stuff, on valuation, the "Joe Allen, 15m? I'd have paid a whole lot more" type stuff, not so much.

They got stung and put some rules in place so we don't get into a financial willy waving competitions with teams who just got a 100m windfall. Boooooo!!!!

What do you mean on 'valuation'?! You do know you're talking about valuation of a footballer right? Your explanation contradicts itself and frankly doesn't make any sense in the slightest.

They didn't get stung. The club did. How exactly were they stung? By the £30m net we spent under their utterly shit hires? Ouch, must have really hurt that - a normal transfer budget for a team of our size.

'Rules' don't work, and they certainly haven't thus far. There is no formulaic panacea to football - situations need to be judged on their merit and by people who have the ability to do that. If they don't trust the only senior footballing person at our club then they should replace him or give him support with an experienced CEO.

What do you mean on 'valuation'?! You do know you're talking about valuation of a footballer right? Your explanation contradicts itself and frankly doesn't make any sense in the slightest.

They didn't get stung. The club did. How exactly were they stung? By the £30m net we spent under their utterly shit hires? Ouch, must have really hurt that - a normal transfer budget for a team of our size.

'Rules' don't work, and they certainly haven't thus far. There is no formulaic panacea to football - situations need to be judged on their merit and by people who have the ability to do that. If they don't trust the only senior footballing person at our club then they should replace him or give him support with an experienced CEO.

Clearly, it doesn't make any sense TO YOU.

I'd honestly love to know how they can possible deem whether it is poor business.

Cuz they are, erm...businessman, guys who make valuations for a living, remember.

What do the Americans know about football.

Nothing, see above, its not football, its just business.

By all accounts Willian is still in our price range, the owners have just shat themselves because of the last time they trusted somebody to spend over £30m. Punishing the team and our manager for their own incompetence.

On the parameters that they think the potential benefits don't balance against the figure we're asked to pay.

I don't like it, but surely you'd accept that there has to be a cut off, a point at which you say a player's price has gone past his value and what the club can reasonably spend?

Beyond the financial dopers, there isn't a manager in the world who has the power to chase targets indefinitely as the price escalates. Now, we can debate whether that line was crossed with Willian yet, but given Spurs were pushing hard for him and already raised the price, with the cash they have to burn i doubt they'd step away even if we matched their bid.

If Rodgers knew matching the bid would guarantee us the player, Spurs would back away, and the price was only marginally increased, then i'd accept he has a major reason to feel fucked off.

Whichever way, he's probably disappointed with how the summer has thus far shaped up.

Clearly, it doesn't make any sense TO YOU.

No, it doesn't make any sense period. You can't say they value his footballing acumen but not his ability to judge the worth of a footballer - the latter is inherent in the former.

Cuz they are, erm...businessman, guys who make valuations for a living, remember.

'Business' isn't generic and uniform; it's incredibly nuanced. I've worked in energy commodities for Merrill Lynch, so I've made valuations for a living too. That doesn't mean I'll be able to ascertain the value of every single thing in the world, or do so with any real aptitude. The people who are able to find good value in a market are the ones that know it inside out.

On the parameters that they think the potential benefits don't balance against the figure we're asked to pay.

I don't like it' date=' but surely you'd accept that there has to be a cut off, a point at which you say a player's price has gone past his value and what the club can reasonably spend?

Beyond the financial dopers, there isn't a manager in the world who has the power to chase targets indefinitely as the price escalates. Now, we can debate whether that line was crossed with Willian yet, but given Spurs were pushing hard for him and already raised the price, with the cash they have to burn i doubt they'd step away even if we matched their bid.

If Rodgers knew matching the bid would guarantee us the player, Spurs would back away, and the price was only marginally increased, then i'd accept he has a major reason to feel fucked off.

Whichever way, he's probably disappointed with how the summer has thus far shaped up.[/quote']

That is the whole point - I don't give a fuck what they think. I know, we have to accept it but frankly its not good enough and its not good for our club.

I completely agree with having a cut-off and not paying over the odds - I admire that stance and its completely the right thing to do. The problem is, the person who decides what that cut off is should know what the fuck he is talking about - otherwise its a worthless, arbitrary, useless mechanism that may as well not be there.

If they don't trust the manager to spend then fine. Get a new manager or build a footballing infrastructure at the club (like every single other top European club has) to act as that mechanism.

Regarding whether Spurs would have stepped away - we'll never know, because we didn't even bother compete. Despite the assertions of Werner months ago.

The wheels on the bus come off, off, off

Off, off, off

Off, off, off

Looks increasingly like our own budding Alistair Cooke will be penning another missive for us this season. It's like getting a letter from Santa when you're on the Naughty List - he loves you and thanks you for your support, but no toys this year.

11 days to prove us wrong. Tick tock.....

Just found out that Benzema is also involved in that underage prostitute case with Ribery. Anyone know if there's anything recent on that? From what I can see reading around a bit the whole thing is due to be over shortly.

edit : adjourned until 2014. What the fuck? Court systems are among the most messed up things on the planet. Can't believe they have that hanging over their heads until next year. Retarded.

Edited by Red Phoenix