You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football

Jhinge Machha

• Replies 49k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jairzinho

• magicrat

• Russ Atmosphere

• Dr Nowt

The football World Cup will not be played in Qatar during the summer in 2022, Fifa secretary general Jerome Valcke has said.

The tournament  is now likely to be played during the winter months, said Valcke.

"The dates for the World Cup (in Qatar) will not be June to July," he told Radio France.

"To be honest, I think it will be held between November 15 and January 15 at the latest.

Fans in Doha, Qatar, celebrate winning the right to host the World Cup

"If you play between November 15 and the end of December that's the time when the weather conditions are best, when you can play in temperatures equivalent to a warm spring season in Europe, averaging 25 degrees.

"That would be perfect for playing football."

The scheduling of the tournament has been a controversial issue because of the sweltering temperatures in the Gulf state ,with fears that players, fans and officials could be at risk.

Jerome Valcke is Fifa's second most powerful official behind Fifa President Sepp Blatter.

More follows...

It's going to end up setting a precedent this...

Either to have a winter break every year, or they do a 'hot world cup' then a 'cold world cup', opening up the floodgates for tournaments in other red hot regions.

I know the issue is mostly about fans comfort, but I'd rather it stayed in summer and they introduced fully covered stadiums... that's preferable to changing to winter.

A winter break wouldn't help to be honest. You need two months to host a world cup and the friendly games in the weeks before and youll need to shut down every league from end Nov to start of Feb.That only leaves roughly 44 weeks of the year to fit in 38 league games, preseason and the rest before thr new season starts.

There will br calls to reduce the leagues to 16-18 teams to help the International calendar or some bullshit pro international FIFA money spinning crap

I agree that a winter break wouldn't help, but what I'm saying is that having such a break caused by the World Cup will be a catalyst for having a short winter break.

Definitely agree about reducing the games... League Cup's a good example - two legged Semi-Finals... why?

FA Cup replays? play extra time and penalties. I do know that the replays are a money spinner for a lot of smaller clubs, and that would need to be addressed, but in principle, it's just adding to the games congestion needlessly.

The football World Cup will not be played in Qatar during the summer in 2022, Fifa secretary general Jerome Valcke has said.The tournament  is now likely to be played during the winter months, said Valcke."The dates for the World Cup (in Qatar) will not be June to July," he told Radio France."To be honest, I think it will be held between November 15 and January 15 at the latest.Fans in Doha, Qatar, celebrate winning the right to host the World Cup"If you play between November 15 and the end of December that's the time when the weather conditions are best, when you can play in temperatures equivalent to a warm spring season in Europe, averaging 25 degrees."That would be perfect for playing football."The scheduling of the tournament has been a controversial issue because of the sweltering temperatures in the Gulf state ,with fears that players, fans and officials could be at risk.Jerome Valcke is Fifa's second most powerful official behind Fifa President Sepp Blatter.More

follows...

Didnt see this message, i just opened a thread on it. Some crooks running football now, all that oil money feathering fifa's nests.

I agree that a winter break wouldn't help, but what I'm saying is that having such a break caused by the World Cup will be a catalyst for having a short winter break.

Definitely agree about reducing the games... League Cup's a good example - two legged Semi-Finals... why?

FA Cup replays? play extra time and penalties. I do know that the replays are a money spinner for a lot of smaller clubs, and that would need to be addressed, but in principle, it's just adding to the games congestion needlessly.

I would even go as far as scrapping extra time and just go straight to penalties.