You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Barry was a left footer who would have added great balance. Rafa wanted to keep Alonso and play Barry on the left. Yes Alonso is good but he's only ever had one good season. How many assists does he get? I don't think he's suited to this league. He's not box-to-box like Barry.

These were actually serious opinions that people once held. Seriously.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Barry was a left footer who would have added great balance. Rafa wanted to keep Alonso and play Barry on the left. Yes Alonso is good but he's only ever had one good season. How many assists does he get? I don't think he's suited to this league. He's not box-to-box like Barry.

These were actually serious opinions that people once held. Seriously.

Jesus, you were in for the angriest internet response of your life for a minute there, Kev!

I do think that the Mascherano-Alonso partnership was too defensive to win the league on a consistent basis, as good as it was in Europe. We really needed more rounded midfielders in the middle, which is why I prefer Adam to either of them at the moment, even if he is an inferior central midfielder overall to Mascherano and Alonso.

"as a manager you have to think of the bigger picture, and in this case there was Barry, an Englosh player who could play in a number of positions. With the rules that were coming in we knew we would need more English players so we were trying to be prepared for that. It became more complicated but irhink it was the right thing to try because Alonso was not playing at the same level as before."

I do think that the Mascherano-Alonso partnership was too defensive to win the league on a consistent basis, as good as it was in Europe. We really needed more rounded midfielders in the middle, which is why I prefer Adam to either of them at the moment, even if he is an inferior central midfielder overall to Mascherano and Alonso.

As good as Molby was I think he might be a bit long in the tooth now.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

The central midfield was perfect, it was the wide areas where we needed quality and creativity to win the league. If we managed to get Alves and Simao, as Rafa has wanted, I'd say we'd have been a real force.

"You can stick your Gareth Barry up your arse"

Fucking aye! I've never disagreed more with Rafa than over that whole debacle. Xabi was the oil that kept for the way we played going and you could always tell when he wasn't playing. I've never been more saddened by a departure of a player than when he left us.

He's not going to admit it in public that he made a mistake.

No manager ever does. And I dont blame him if he doesnt.

He's a stubborn manager is Rafa, I don't think anyone in their right mind would argue otherwise.

I don't really care about Rafa's justification for selling Xabi. It was a fucking stupid decision.

He admitted he made some, but not which ones.

I think it would help him to publicly state which ones he made.

How would it help him?

I'm sure privately he has analysed every single decision he's ever made. He has almost OCD levels of meticulousness. But I fail to see how going public with any of his findings/admissions would help anyone.

Am I being levelled here?