You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Do you agree with euthanasia?

lifetime fan

My Dad is dying.

He suffered heart and lung failure 6 months ago, and the treatment to keep him alive is sending him quickly into dementia.

The massive irony in our much improved season, is that my Dad has been a fan of the club since the mid 1950s, and now it means nothing.

He is a veteran of The Kop, and has been there thru the decades, soaking up every great era of Liverpool success, and we've shared some great great experiences & memories, but I turn up with Mum now, to visit ( he's in residential care ) and he's just staring into space or mumbling and sleeping, with no interest in anything. He's drugged up something cronic. To top it all off, it costs me all my possible savings to go and visit once a week on my one and only day off from work - I do it because I love him, and will continue to do it until he's gone. However, the whole process is fucking painful.

Incidentaly, I'm a high needs spinal injury support worker. I work with paraplegics and tetraplegics. I understand the futility they can feel. The hopelessness. However, I know for a fact that I MAKE A DIFFERENCE. Where there is life, there is learning, but fuck me, sometimes I question the reasons for saving lives whatever the cost.

That is so sad. Words on a page do not convey the mix of emotions your post evokes. Life can be a bastard sometimes. Look after yourselves as best you can

I can't help but feel that if I was left Quadraspazzed I would want someone to end it but I'd imagine I may feel differently when the decision came. Either way it should be my choice.

Everybody knows, even if we dont do anything about it, about making wills regarding the decisions to be made when we die but how many have given thought to the making of Powers of Attorney, or the equivalent, that set out your wishes for your care should you lose capacity to be able to express this yourself, either for a time limited period or permanently? Decisions that, should they need to be enacted, will have more significance to you than those taken when you are dead 

Just been debated on The Big Questions, there's a bill going before the Scottish parliament to allow assisted dying. Most of the people in the debate (from the bit I saw) were either worried about 'creep' which would mean not only terminally ill people qualified or objected on religious grounds.

Just been debated on The Big Questions, there's a bill going before the Scottish parliament to allow assisted dying. Most of the people in the debate (from the bit I saw) were either worried about 'creep' which would mean not only terminally ill people qualified or objected on religious grounds.

That referendum vote is getting closer

I'd look very closely at their data.

• 4 months later...

Campaigners lose 'right to die' case

Paul Lamb: "I haven't committed a crime, I don't deserve to be punished like this"

Campaigners have lost their appeal at the UK's highest court over the right to die but say they are hopeful that change will come.

Justices ruled against Paul Lamb and Jane Nicklinson by seven to two.

A third man, Martin, lost his attempt to have the current prosecution guidance on assisted suicide clarified.

But five justices concluded the Supreme Court had the "constitutional authority" to declare the current law breaches the right to a private life.

The cases involve the family of the late Tony Nicklinson, of Wiltshire, who had locked-in syndrome, and Paul Lamb, of Leeds, who was paralysed in a road crash.

They wanted the law changed to allow doctors to assist patients to die.

Nine justices had to decide whether a prohibition on assisted suicide was compatible with the right to respect for private and family life under the European Convention on Human Rights.

Five concluded the court had the "constitutional authority" to make a declaration, and two of the five said they would have done so.

'Positive step'

Mr Lamb and Mrs Nicklinson, the wife of Tony Nicklinson, said the conclusions were a "positive" step in the fight for change.

"I am very proud of myself," said Mr Lamb, 58. "I know it is going to change."

Mrs Nicklinson, from Wiltshire, whose husband Tony died aged 58 last year, added: "I am disappointed that we lost. But it is a very positive step. Parliament will have to discuss this. I think Tony would be very pleased at how far we have come."

Commenting on the ruling, Andrea Williams of Christian Concern, said: "This is good news for the many vulnerable people who would have been at risk if the attempt to weaken the law on euthanasia and assisted suicide had been allowed by the Supreme Court.

"The murder law is there to set the highest priority on the importance and value of life and to protect it."

Tony Nicklinson suffered from locked-in syndrome

A third man, known only as Martin, was seeking clarification of the Director of Public Prosecutions's (DPP's) guidance on the position of health professionals who assist a suicide.

Martin wants it to be lawful for a doctor or nurse to help him travel abroad to die with the help of a suicide organisation in Switzerland. His wife and other family want no involvement in his suicide.

The Supreme Court unanimously allowed the DPP's appeal against a previous Court of Appeal ruling in Martin's favour for clarification of the guidance.

Using an adapted computer operated by sight, Martin said in a statement: "I would implore the DPP to amend her written guidance as a matter of absolute priority.

"People in my situation, who have the right to choose how to end their lives, should be able to get the assistance they need from people outside their family."

Long battle

Mr Lamb has been almost completely paralysed from the neck down since a car accident more than 20 years ago and says he is in constant pain.

He has called for the law to be changed so any doctor who helped him die would have a defence against the charge of murder.

Tony Nicklinson was paralysed from the neck down after suffering a stroke while on a business trip to Athens in 2005.

After losing his High Court battle last year, he refused food and died naturally, aged 58, a week later at his home in Wiltshire. His widow, Jane, is continuing his legal battle.

Lord Carlile: "We have the best palliative care system in the world ... very few people die in agony"

Campaigners lose 'right to die' case

Paul Lamb: "I haven't committed a crime, I don't deserve to be punished like this"

Campaigners have lost their appeal at the UK's highest court over the right to die but say they are hopeful that change will come.

Justices ruled against Paul Lamb and Jane Nicklinson by seven to two.

A third man, Martin, lost his attempt to have the current prosecution guidance on assisted suicide clarified.

But five justices concluded the Supreme Court had the "constitutional authority" to declare the current law breaches the right to a private life.

The cases involve the family of the late Tony Nicklinson, of Wiltshire, who had locked-in syndrome, and Paul Lamb, of Leeds, who was paralysed in a road crash.

They wanted the law changed to allow doctors to assist patients to die.

Nine justices had to decide whether a prohibition on assisted suicide was compatible with the right to respect for private and family life under the European Convention on Human Rights.

Five concluded the court had the "constitutional authority" to make a declaration, and two of the five said they would have done so.

'Positive step'

Mr Lamb and Mrs Nicklinson, the wife of Tony Nicklinson, said the conclusions were a "positive" step in the fight for change.

"I am very proud of myself," said Mr Lamb, 58. "I know it is going to change."

Mrs Nicklinson, from Wiltshire, whose husband Tony died aged 58 last year, added: "I am disappointed that we lost. But it is a very positive step. Parliament will have to discuss this. I think Tony would be very pleased at how far we have come."

Commenting on the ruling, Andrea Williams of Christian Concern, said: "This is good news for the many vulnerable people who would have been at risk if the attempt to weaken the law on euthanasia and assisted suicide had been allowed by the Supreme Court.

"The murder law is there to set the highest priority on the importance and value of life and to protect it."

Tony Nicklinson suffered from locked-in syndrome

A third man, known only as Martin, was seeking clarification of the Director of Public Prosecutions's (DPP's) guidance on the position of health professionals who assist a suicide.

Martin wants it to be lawful for a doctor or nurse to help him travel abroad to die with the help of a suicide organisation in Switzerland. His wife and other family want no involvement in his suicide.

The Supreme Court unanimously allowed the DPP's appeal against a previous Court of Appeal ruling in Martin's favour for clarification of the guidance.

Using an adapted computer operated by sight, Martin said in a statement: "I would implore the DPP to amend her written guidance as a matter of absolute priority.

"People in my situation, who have the right to choose how to end their lives, should be able to get the assistance they need from people outside their family."

Long battle

Mr Lamb has been almost completely paralysed from the neck down since a car accident more than 20 years ago and says he is in constant pain.

He has called for the law to be changed so any doctor who helped him die would have a defence against the charge of murder.

Tony Nicklinson was paralysed from the neck down after suffering a stroke while on a business trip to Athens in 2005.

After losing his High Court battle last year, he refused food and died naturally, aged 58, a week later at his home in Wiltshire. His widow, Jane, is continuing his legal battle.

Lord Carlile: "We have the best palliative care system in the world ... very few people die in agony"

If you are keeping or forcing someone to stay alive, does that not against their human rights? Their right to choose how they end their life?

And just because we have the best pallative care in the world does that mean someone should be forced to go through it, even if they don't want to?

If you have the mental capacity to decide it really should be allowed. Waiting to die, whilst having no quality of life and in pain is inhumane. These campaigners who think Euthanasia is wrong should find something better to do with their lives and stop interefering in other peoples right to choose. Bunch of cunts.

• Upvote 1

Even with incredible support from a hospice people can be in pain till the very end.

I know mate, i have been through it with dying relatives. Horrible stuff and as devastating it is to let someone we love go its for the best when they are suffering and have no hope for recovery. It makes me angry that people campaign against Euthanasia, you can stick your god righteous morals up your arse.

• Upvote 4

I know mate, i have been through it with dying relatives. Horrible stuff and as devastating it is to let someone we love go its for the best when they are suffering and have no hope for recovery. It makes me angry that people campaign against Euthanasia, you can stick your god righteous morals up your arse.

Carly and I always had the money saved and put in a separate account for Dignitas. We spoke about it at the very beginning and always had it as an option.

In the end Carly didn't want to have to go abroad to die but why couldn't she go at a time of her choosing in this country without worrying about family members being prosecuted.

• Upvote 3

Guest Pistonbroke

I believe if the individual is in a full state of mind then they should be able to choose for themselves. 

My own mother was only 71 when she died. She had various crippling illnesses and in the end also had to put up with Parkinsons. She said it was a struggle to swallow all the tablets she was on and that the quality of her life was next to nothing. She took the step to refuse her medication whilst still sound of mind. The doctors in the nursing home told her she wouldn't last long but she was adamant that she would not take any more medication, I called her that evening  to say my goodbyes and to tell her not to wait for me to fly over the next morning, she died within 12 hours whilst I was booking into the flight. 

It makes me angry that the government allows you to do all types of things that will kill you, smoking, boozing to excess, extreme sports etc citing free will, but when you want to die because you are in crippling agony and have zero quality of life they stop you.

I think that each case is different, but should always be up to the individual, if we can choose to donate body parts, why can we not select the way we die? Don't think it should be left to the Doctors/Government, that could be more of a case of economics. If a person wants to end their life quickly and without pain, surely thats their choice. If they had no illness/pain they could end their own life, let somebody help them if thats what they choose