You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Messi better than Maradona?

Section_31

The Best?  

197 members have voted

1. 1. The Best?

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Close, but Maradonna almost single handedly won the world cup, and almost single handedly won the Italian league for Napoli. At his peak he was unstoppable - that photo of him with 7 Belgian players in front of him looking terrified is iconic. If Messi carries on like this though he may well overtake him.

Messi is a better professional and a better team player but Maradona did carry argentina to the world cup even if he was high on coke at the time lol.Messi just needs a good world cup to prove his equal but hes only young and surely his best is yet to come

I think so, but until he's done it at international level then the doubt is there. Maradona virtually won the world cup on his own.

At club level Messi is untouchable, he's from another planet.

Like goatboy has previously said, the lack of international recognition never stopped Best from being lauded as the greatest ever pisshead sorry footballer to walk the planet.

Messi everytime for me.

Guest TesticleOReilly

Messi has gone missing in some games, and can be marked out by certain players. Maradona never went missing, and the more he was kicked and hustled the better he was. Both midgets, tho'.

Still Maradona for me. Winning the World Cup on his own, his achievements with Napoli are unprecedented. Messi is number 2 for me now, with plenty of time on his side to surpass El Diego. Messi playing in one of the greatest club sides, with some of the Worlds greatest players is what makes me go with Diego.

Voted Maradona, but it's getting closer every day. Think Messi drifts a bit more in and out of games (esp against the very best teams), and Maradona's passing/shooting was even better. Messi has the advantage of playing in the best club team for some time, perhaps ever which gets him ridiculous goal numbers. When you look at that second goal though you are not even amazed anymore, you take it for granted that he's going to produce something like that a few times a season...

Guest TK-421

Messi is a better dribbler but I dunno.

Maradona would score insane volleys from 40 yards and just seemed to have more strings to his bow. I'm not sure he'd be so effective in the modern game, though, with more organised defences and holding midfielders trying to nullify his talents.

I can't separate them now but I think, in time, Messi will go on to be the best. He's not there yet, though.

Guest barralad
No, but when you are being compared to someone who virtually won one on his own, then it is a relevant point I think.

I voted Maradona dave,but there have been some great players who play for a Country who would never do well or even qualify for the International tournaments.

No, but when you are being compared to someone who virtually won one on his own, then it is a relevant point I think.

In saying that though, there is such a lack of quality in International football at the moment that winning the tournament last summer still wouldn't be comparable to that of Maradona's victory.

Different eras.

Both great.

Second goal was a cracker tonight, but it was possibly not the best night to ask "Maradona or Messi" IMO...

Maradona vs 7 terrified Belgian defenders still looks a sight better than Messi's 11 men tonight beating an already sorry Real, and then only after they were down to 10 men.

I`d still say Maradona because he carried ordinary teams to greatness, Barca without Messi would still probably be the best team in the world.

Having said that Messi is a phenom and his goal record is unreal but Maradona got the shit kicked out of him at a time when defenders werent given yellows for sneezing.