You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New HBO Series: Game of Thrones

Mr Nando

Can't say I particularly enjoyed that. Felt like they punched themselves out in the penultimate episode.

Really?

I know what you mean in terms of the difference in episodes but episode ten was why tv can be so, so much better than films. The depth added to with certain characters and the general storyline was very interesting and will no doubt add weight to the direction of season three.

It wasn't a full on 'Michael Bay' episode like last weeks was but you can't do that every time.

I didn't think it was great either. I still enjoyed it but I think there were too many different threads; it got a bit messy IMO and some scenes seemed very rushed and such. I understand that there was probably no way to get a perfect balance given time restrictions. This episode showed the drawbacks of dramatising a book like this in tv form. It's no real issue to cut from scene to scene and keep 5/6 different plots and sub-plots going when you have no word limit.

The series as a whole was brilliant though.

It's fucking brilliant. One of the greatest TV series ever

Doubt I'd be saying that if I hadn't read the books first, though. It's impossibly dense for anyone not familiar with the source material

See I haven't read them and won't until I've finished the tv series but despite it, at times, being slightly a stretch to keep track of all goings on with everyone involved I've never felt massively overawed by it.

Guest Pistonbroke

Thought the last episode was excellent viewing, just pissed off we have to wait until next year for series 3 which should be a cracker.

In what concept?

Pretty much from when the Queen is getting fucked by her brother and pushes the boy out of the window to the bit where the Zombie horse turns up.

I haven't read the books so maybe I just don't get the relevance of the little bits that hint of whats to come but the Ice Zombies were fucking ridiculous.

It's still a good show I just get the impression when watching it that lots of detail has been glossed over so you're missing parts of the story.

Pretty much from when the Queen is getting fucked by her brother and pushes the boy out of the window to the bit where the Zombie horse turns up.

I haven't read the books so maybe I just don't get the relevance of the little bits that hint of whats to come but the Ice Zombies were fucking ridiculous.

It's still a good show I just get the impression when watching it that lots of detail has been glossed over so you're missing parts of the story.

Pretty much par for the course. Reading the books isn't that much clearer. Westeros is a clusterfuck basically.

Men are fighting between themselves and the ice zombies are coming back, as they do at winter. The nights watch are supposed to stop them, but they are understaffed.

Joffrey, being a cunt, fucked over the Starks who looked after the north by chopping off bean's head which has started a big fuck up. So Stark's son and wife are wanting to destroy him and leaving the north. The dead kings brother knows that Joffrey isn't the kings son, but is the son of the queen and her brother so he is also after him to be king.

Daenerys with her dragons is the last of the house targeryan which is the house from the king who was deposed by Robert the king who got killed in the first series. She is on the other continent after fleeing during the war when she was very young. Otherwise Robert would have killed her and her brother. She also thinks that she is queen.

Why was Winterfell burning at the end and why couldn't the Stark kids just go back there? Didn't the Island soldiers just fuck off home without defending the city?

It was done a heck of a lot better in the books. The Iron Islanders did indeed leave, which begs the question, who was outside?

Why was Winterfell burning at the end and why couldn't the Stark kids just go back there? Didn't the Island soldiers just fuck off home without defending the city?

That's exactly what I said, and I've read the fucking books.

Er, in which that also happened.

I think Roose's bastard sacked the place, or something. Wait, no. Theon set it all on fire himself? That might be it.

Anyhoo, it's wrecked and burned in the books too.

Roose boltons bastard was outside the city waiting to sack the place and take out the iron born. Looks like dagmer switched sides and let him in after stabbing theon. In the book Ramsay helped theon take winter fell then turned on him with his Army instead. They then burned winterfell

Guest Pistonbroke

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

I take it things will become clearer at the start of book/series 3. The troops surrounding Winterfell were from one of Rob Starks foes, can't remember his name. He basically persuaded Rob to let him send his men to recapture Winterfell and take Theon Greyjoy alive. I wondered myself why Winterfell was left burning myself and they sort of left it open as to what happened to Island soldiers and Theon, could be Rob's foe has turned against him behind his back?

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

I take it things will become clearer at the start of book/series 3. The troops surrounding Winterfell were from one of Rob Starks foes, can't remember his name. He basically persuaded Rob to let him send his men to recapture Winterfell and take Theon Greyjoy alive. I wondered myself why Winterfell was left burning myself and they sort of left it open as to what happened to Island soldiers and Theon, could be Rob's foe has turned against him behind his back?

Pretty much spot on.

Guest Pistonbroke
Pretty much spot on.

I'm going to start reading book 3 tonight and should get that and book 4 finished well before they show series 3 which i believe will only be half of "A storm of Swords" and obviously series 4 will cover the rest. I was hoping they would show series 3 sooner but it looks like they are keeping it to an annual thing. Shall sort out book 5 as a birthday present and 6 as and when Martin finishes it.

Sorry if this has already been answered but I'm buying a kindle tomorrow and want to buy the Game Of Thrones books. Am I right in thinking these are the correct order?

1. Game Of Thrones (Season 1)

2. Clash of Kings (Season 2)

3. A Storm of Swords

4. A Feast for Crows

5. Dance With Dragons

I don't want to buy the first 2 yet, I might do later but I want the 3rd book onward.

Cheers.

Sorry if this has already been answered but I'm buying a kindle tomorrow and want to buy the Game Of Thrones books. Am I right in thinking these are the correct order?

1. Game Of Thrones (Season 1)

2. Clash of Kings (Season 2)

3. A Storm of Swords

4. A Feast for Crows

5. Dance With Dragons

I don't want to buy the first 2 yet, I might do later but I want the 3rd book onward.

Cheers.

Yep, that's right.

But I sincerely recommend you buy and read the first two books before the third.

If you try to jump straight into the third book without reading the first two, you won't have a fucking clue what's going on.

From what I've read of this thread, the books are quite a bit different to the TV series...

Seriously mate, do not read book 3 without reading the others. There is plenty going on that isn't in the TV series and you won't have a clue what's happening.

This is the order :

1. A Game of Thrones

2. A Clash of Kings

3. A Storm of Swords

4. A Feast for Crows

5. A Dance with Dragons

6. The Winds of Winter (Forthcoming)

7. A Dream of Spring (Forthcoming)

Also book 3 is often divided into two parts so make sure you get both of them or a complete version. See :

Part 1 being published as Steel and Snow in June 2001 (with the one-volume cover) and Part 2 as Blood and Gold in August 2001

A Storm of Swords - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia