You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New HBO Series: Game of Thrones

Mr Nando

He's probably under a lot more pressure from HBO too.

Interesting you say that, because my fear is (or maybe was) that there was no way they'd ever make all seven seasons (or however many seasons you would need to film the increasingly gargantuan and labyrinthine books).

Simply because TV audiences, no matter how great the series, usually dwindle, and as budgets go up, this is unsustainable. It's very difficult to maintain audience interest over so many years.

Of course HBO has a slightly different business model in that advertising revenue isn't the factor it is for, say, amc (Walking Dead, Mad Men), but it still needs that interest from audiences overseas and also via the DVD releases (which were huge for GOT Season 1).

So I dunno.

Interesting you say that, because my fear is (or maybe was) that there was no way they'd ever make all seven seasons (or however many seasons you would need to film the increasingly gargantuan and labyrinthine books).

Simply because TV audiences, no matter how great the series, usually dwindle, and as budgets go up, this is unsustainable. It's very difficult to maintain audience interest over so many years.

Of course HBO has a slightly different business model in that advertising revenue isn't the factor it is for, say, amc (Walking Dead, Mad Men), but it still needs that interest from audiences overseas and also via the DVD releases (which were huge for GOT Season 1).

So I dunno.

Yeah, but new book releases of the GoT will cause more interest in the show... it's not a 'series' like Mad Men or something where it can get stale... It's one huge storyline.

Can't be arsed to read the books, and tbh I'm glad I never have because I'm really enjoying the twists and turns and unpredictability of the tv series.

Just finished watching series 1 and who'd have thought that

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

Sean Bean gets his head chopped off ? Khal Drogo dies from a scratch ?
Not me, but great stuff.

Fantasy stuff, swords nd sorcery and sci-fi really isn't my thing, but gotta say I'm really enjoying GOT so far.

Some hard to please cats around these days. You all need a diet of Scott and Bailey with a dash of Eastenders to remind you how fortunate you are, HBO-come-lately motherfuckers!

Book in not translating to the screen exactly like the book shocker.

Innit. Some people are so hard to please. It's bloody ACE telly and is already a classic that people will be talking about for years.

No it's not quite the same as the book, not quite as good, but Jesus give them some credit. Like Jacksons Lord Of The Rings, this is as good as it gets for translating a huge, fantastical series of books onto the screen

These are all correct. Some people are expecting something that just isn't possible.

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

Stannis goosed his red haired adviser, well sorcerer really, and she promised him a son; weeks later Davos takes her to a cave and she gives birth to an indistinguishable black smoke.

She gives birth to a shadow assassin to kill Cortnay Penrose who is in charge of Storms End and won't yield the castle. She did the same thing with Stannis' brother Renly.

Anyone have any ideas as to why they decided to replace Jeyne Westerling with the nurse?

She looks hotter than how Jeyne Westerling sounds in the book....I wondered that to be fair.

On another point how fucking sadistic is Joffrey.

She looks hotter than how Jeyne Westerling sounds in the book....I wondered that to be fair.

On another point how fucking sadistic is Joffrey.

I thought he was class in the last episode; he went from entitled, spoilt adolescent(which isn't particularly interesting, in my opinion) to pure bred sociopath - I loved it.

The acting and dialogue could easily be improved.

That is true of any show, though. But what it is is ridiculously better than most things that are on now and that have been on.

I'd also wager that the biggest critics of the show will be ones that have read the books and therefore got preconceptions of how it 'should' be.

That is true of any show, though. But what it is is ridiculously better than most things that are on now and that have been on.

I'd also wager that the biggest critics of the show will be ones that have read the books and therefore got preconceptions of how it 'should' be.

I'm usually snobby as hell when it comes to book vs tv/film adaptation but I reckon GOT is probably the best tv series since The Wire even after having read the books.

I haven't read the books, mate, I just thought parts of the 1st season were really weak. I do think this season has been a leap forward, it's very good so far.