You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Robin van Persie

myrlas

Is he overrated?

For me Van Persie is a bit like the team he plays for. Every now and then, Arsenal are hailed as being the best team on the planet. This normally occurs after they beat a shitty "Wigan" in september with 5-0. In this scenario Van Persie scores goals. At least one of the goal is a screamer.

But think past the nice goals he scores. Is he all that?

He's played for Arsenal for seven seasons now. Never scored more than 11 league goals in a season. One title under his belt (FA cup 2005, came on as a sub in the 87th minute).

Is it wide of the mark to suggest that flashy trendplayers like Van Persie is the reason Arsenal isn't winning titles anymore? Brilliant in glimpses, but over a season not quite good enough?

I mean, what could really, REALLY good strikers do if they played up front for Arsenal. Perhaps not shoot as hard with their left foot, but apart from that there is plenty of very good strikers out there who could do an equally good, or even better, job for Arsenal.

He has a style perfected for Youtube or match of the day as I see it. Goes missing far too often.

Why I bring up this now?

Just saw some people putting together their all time Dutch PL XI. And some put Van Persie in there up front.

I mean, come on!

Van Nistelrooy, Bergkamp and Hasselbaink is all way ahead of Van Persie when it comes to producing in PL?

Whos gonna win the league this season?

Most knowledgable Mancs I know want him replaced. Hasn't scored in the Champions League for two seasons and regularly gets left out of big league games.

Rooney, Torres and Drogba have been shite this season but they're still a class above.

He's made of glass. He was 'going to be' the next Bergkamp. Maybe he could have been if he didn't spend most of the season on the treatment table. Who knows.

He is a very good player. He usually racks up more assists then goals. He is the right style of player for the Arse. The one thing he can do that I wish Kuyt, NGog or Maxi could do is make that difficult pass in the final third.

If he stayed fit for a while, he and Fabregas could be a deadly partnership. They have a good understanding now.

It seems whenever he has a stretch of good health Arsenal seems to go on a run, and whenever he's hurt they drop a few games and fall out of the hunt for trophies. I think he's class and if he ever stayed healthy for a full season I think he'd consistently bag 20.

But yeah van Nistelrooy and Bergkamp are most definitely better.

On Berbatov, he gets way too much flak for not putting in enough "effort." His touch is unreal and he has been a far better player for them than Rooney this season.

Why I bring up this now?

Just saw some people putting together their all time Dutch PL XI. And some put Van Persie in there up front.

I mean, come on!

Van Nistelrooy, Bergkamp and Hasselbaink is all way ahead of Van Persie when it comes to producing in PL?

a front four of:

-----------------------RVN

----Overmars---Bergkamp---Robben

would take some beating