You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The enigma of Kuyt has been around for quite a while but I think the last match has solved the mystery for me. The solution, is that he has to go this summer.

I remember think the same thing about Luis Garcia before he left. Both players, would be horrible for long stretches of the game or season and then would score a vital goal or make a crucial pass.

Kuyt is like that crazy girlfriend. The one that you despise as a person most of the time but when you think you are ready to walk away she gives you that crazy good sex that just makes you think, "Hold on, I think we can make this work." You know deep down that you need to be with that girl that may not want to have a threesome with you and her best friend but also won't set your balls on fire while you're sleeping.

I used to think that Dirk's versatility was good enough to keep him as a squad player but I think that being equally crap in multiple positions is not much of a selling point these days. His failings were acceptable under Benitez because we played more of a counterattacking game. But Kenny is trying to play a more possession pass and move style. Dirk does not have the ability to do this.

He is keeping some of our young guys from coming through. I am certain Pacheco or Suso would not have played that through ball to Suarez straight into the defenders feet.

If we don't sell soon, his value will deminish greatly. Lets get 8 Million for him and put it toward a guy like Hazard or Podolski.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was shite today but immense against Chelsea last week. Its hard to know with Dirk. He'll stink the place out for 3/4 games and then play his heart out in a really crucial game and be a key part in a big victory which makes you go "Shit, I shouldn't have had a go at him last week".

But then the week after he'll have an utter stinker like he had today and you'll be back to screaming at him again.

For whats it worth, I'd have him in the team but its the same as every player around 30ish. You know they are approaching that point where they will be in steady decline. Eventually the time when that player just has to make way, for some its when they are 31/32 other when they are 35/36. Its just life.

If he wants to stay as a squad player and earn that trophy his effort and attitude have deserved then I'm made up to have him here, but when Suarez and Carroll are fit, he shouldn't be in the side regardless of formation.

I cringe when I see him on the wing. I mean the lad can put in a shift, but so did Cisse, Baros and Heskey and while none of them leant themselves to being utility players that you want in the squad, Kuyt does.

Guest PurpleNose
If he wants to stay as a squad player and earn that trophy his effort and attitude have deserved then I'm made up to have him here, but when Suarez and Carroll are fit, he shouldn't be in the side regardless of formation.

I cringe when I see him on the wing. I mean the lad can put in a shift, but so did Cisse, Baros and Heskey and while none of them leant themselves to being utility players that you want in the squad, Kuyt does.

The three players you mention are also either incredibly thick and/or cowards. Kuyt's main strength, above even his work rate, is his big game mentality. The ability to take responsibility under immense pressure.

I'd keep him as a squad player, and would see it as far more of a priority to get rid of Jones, Poulsen, Konchesky, El Zhar, Degen, Cole and Jovanovic first.

The three players you mention are also either incredibly thick and/or cowards. Kuyt's main strength, above even his work rate, is his big game mentality. The ability to take responsibility under immense pressure.

I'd keep him as a squad player, and would see it as far more of a priority to get rid of Jones, Poulsen, Konchesky, El Zhar, Degen, Cole and Jovanovic first.

In fairness don't think you'll get many arguing with you on that point.

I think we all think that those have to go. I suppose Cole may get some debate.

The point you make is exactly the point that I refer to. Even in big games he will stink the place out but then net the winner in the last minute. The same was true of Luis (Juventas).

I think we need a more consistent producer with true quality.

Thing is, a squad can easily accommodate a player like Kuyt, providing we have quality in other positions to make up for his weaknesses and play to his strengths. Unfortunately, we can't accomodate all of Kuyt, Jovanovic, Degen, El Zhar, Maxi, Carragher, Skrtel, Johnson, Poulsen, Ngog, Kyriagkos, Lucas (to a lesser extent), Cole (I think, though haven't seen him enough) etc - a bunch of players with limited technical skill and assorted levels of commitment and hardwork. And that's what drags us down - the tipping point is too far in favour of the limited but willing, and we lack true creativity.

So, in sum, Kuyt's not the cause of all our problems, but we shouldn't fool ourselves into thinking that he couldn't be replaced by someone better. I would swap him with a good right winger in a second, for example.

Kuyt is like that crazy girlfriend. The one that you despise as a person most of the time but when you think you are ready to walk away she gives you that crazy good sex that just makes you think, "Hold on, I think we can make this work." You know deep down that you need to be with that girl that may not want to have a threesome with you and her best friend but also won't set your balls on fire while you're sleeping.

So you're saying that we need to sell him in the summer but first you'd like to have a threesome with him and another, unspecified participant? Oh and that you don't want him to set your balls on fire. OK mate, whatever floats your boat - we're a broad church here.

I reckon we will never get back to where we belong, or play the progressive, exciting, attacking footy we crave with Kuyt in the side.

No-one could ever question the lads work rate or effort though.

But he's just not good enough.

Afraid that is the way I feel too. Pass and move requires technique. Suarez certainly demonstrated that it is possible to have workrate as well as ability. If I were him I would have been very frustrated with Dirk's play.

Lay off our Dirk - he was one of about 6 players at least, who had international duties during the week, and boy did it show against Wigan - to use Kuyt as the scapegoat for a shoddy TEAM performance and a defense that was back at it's old tricks again after some sturdy performances recently is totally unfair. He doesn't just give 120% to Liverpool, he gives 120% to Holland as well. He's expected to be a striker, a winger and a hard defender. He does the impossible most of the time, with the occasional miracle thrown in.

We'd sorely miss him if he disappeared overnight.

The whole team became complacent after half time against Wigan, and Kuyt was no better or worse than any other player.

I would keep Kuyt as a backup, a squad player. He is a handy player to have. Works his bollocks off, and will take one for the team, but however he is not good enough to be starting. I'd love for us to go and get Hazard, always liked watching him for Lille, always looks a head above everyone else.. And he was fantastic in the europaleague games against us..

The passion he shows, the determination, the grit and effort he puts in puts him way above many others for me. When he gets knocked on his arse he doesn't sit there and look at the ref waiting for the free kick, he gets up and has another go, he loses the ball he'll chase it to get it back, whilst he may not be the best in the world the fact that he does the above puts him up there. He gets singled out for the fuck ups in my opinion, but whilst your head is shaking in disbelief at that first/second touch, he's already recovered and having another go.

Not good enough? Where are we exactly? You better have some one waiting to set the club on fire with his skills whilst being able to deal with the (often petulant) dross some of the other players put out before we get rid of Dirk.

I think manager's and Kenny have to take responsibility to when playing Kuyt, he is not an easy man to drop because of the 100% commitment he gives every game week after week, butyesterday was a perfect opportunity to give him a little rest, especially after a midweek international game.

Kenny can blame the internationals for fatigue, but we did have the likes of Jovanovic and N'gog more or less fully fit kicking it on the bench.