You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Steve McManaman

WrongIslander

On 02/12/2020 at 00:57, aRdja said:

I think both Macca and Carra suffer from trying too hard to sound objective by being overly harsh/critical far too often.

In terms of punditry, Carragher suffers from spitting out of car windows along with very little tactical knowledge   

• Like 1

McManaman was my favourite player from about 93-96. Until Owen came on the scene, really. 

He does my head in from time to time, but I'll always appreciate what he did for me one January day as a young reporter. I was doing work experience at the Echo back in 2003 and it was my first day.

I was already covering the reserves up and down the country for them and the Post at this point while at JMU (I wasn't being paid but all I wanted was the access and the byline). However, I was still nervous as hell to go into that newsroom. 

I got dumped by a girlfriend that morning too, which was nice of her, knowing how nervous I for this big potential career opportunity. She was an old friend of @Paulie Dangerously and I fell for her big time. We'd only been going out six weeks but she dropped me like a bad habit and I was utterly crestfallen.

Anyway, McManaman...

One of the youth team coaches who had helped bring him and Fowler through had passed away. The sports editor passed me his contact book and asked me to call McManaman's dad and see if we could get Steve on the phone. Spoke to his dad and then 15 minutes later there was a call to the sports desk. The ed goes: "Chris... Steve McManaman's on the phone for you."

I got to speak to him for a good 15 minutes about the coach (might have been a scout, not sure actually) and it turned into a nice story that went into the paper the next day. He didn't have to do that. Or he could have asked to speak to someone he knew, rather than the work experience lad.

Anyway, I'll always think fondly of him for that. Steve McManaman: Easer of heartbreak (well, for one day at least, as Paulie will tell you I was cut up for a further 6 months about it).

• Upvote 12

30 minutes ago, TheBitch said:

Have we got any evidence at all that Paulie wasn’t instrumental in this break up, seems like something he would be involved in, the bad cunt. 

Steve McManaman seems to be suspiciously involved if you ask me. I reckon he was rattLING her.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Chris said:

McManaman was my favourite player from about 93-96. Until Owen came on the scene, really. 

He does my head in from time to time, but I'll always appreciate what he did for me one January day as a young reporter. I was doing work experience at the Echo back in 2003 and it was my first day.

I was already covering the reserves up and down the country for them and the Post at this point while at JMU (I wasn't being paid but all I wanted was the access and the byline). However, I was still nervous as hell to go into that newsroom. 

I got dumped by a girlfriend that morning too, which was nice of her, knowing how nervous I for this big potential career opportunity. She was an old friend of @Paulie Dangerously and I fell for her big time. We'd only been going out six weeks but she dropped me like a bad habit and I was utterly crestfallen.

Anyway, McManaman...

One of the youth team coaches who had helped bring him and Fowler through had passed away. The sports editor passed me his contact book and asked me to call McManaman's dad and see if we could get Steve on the phone. Spoke to his dad and then 15 minutes later there was a call to the sports desk. The ed goes: "Chris... Steve McManaman's on the phone for you."

I got to speak to him for a good 15 minutes about the coach (might have been a scout, not sure actually) and it turned into a nice story that went into the paper the next day. He didn't have to do that. Or he could have asked to speak to someone he knew, rather than the work experience lad.

Anyway, I'll always think fondly of him for that. Steve McManaman: Easer of heartbreak (well, for one day at least, as Paulie will tell you I was cut up for a further 6 months about it).

She’s gone.

Get over it.

11 hours ago, Reckoner said:

Steve McManaman seems to be suspiciously involved if you ask me. I reckon he was rattLING her.

If he was then I’m retrospectively thankful for that too. Soon after that, I cut my hair like Adam Lazzara from Taking Back Sunday (it was more Frodo Baggins until that point) and went on a monumental rattLING spree of my own. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Chris said:

Anyway, McManaman...

Hope he told you that the girl was wron-gah to dump you. 

He was a good professional but as it seemed to me he never engaged the fans - like when he scored - I always suspected he hadn’t quite had the “Goodisonectomy” Fowler once said they’d had. In fact in his early punditry days he wasn’t shy to admit he was more Blue than Red. I’d say Michael Owen is a lot more convincing when he’s covering our games.

Fowler said on his pod that he was brilliant in helping him settle in as a young player and he couldn’t speak more highly of him, so there is that.

• 3 weeks later...